Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My attempt using the Single RAW file HDR function in Coral PaintShop Pro X5. I'm finding this tool very useful for my Boat Racing shots.

Last edited by kkoether; 02-10-2013 at 02:19 PM.
02-10-2013, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chemtech Quote
...wishing I had a wider lens...
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #18

Since there was so many things in the photo that was reflected in the water I wanted to use that to be able to focus on what I thought was "important" in the image, the person, and use all other stuff to emphasize. Since the image was large from the beginning I did a pretty heave crop. I opened the image in Aftershot Pro (like it since I run it on Linux), cropped it. Created a layer for the upper right part which I thought was a bit dark, added 30 exposure to it. Did an auto-level and +20 vibrance on the whole image.. Exported with a 200 sharpen option. Opened it in Gimp, did some extra sharpening using extract/merge grain. Scaled it since I don't have that much space to spare. I like that the original image was nicely framed which meant I could reframe it using the reflections but it still show all surroundings, you just have to look for it, which I think is a nice braintease.

When on windows I sometimes use paint shop pro (I used to teach 7 so I'm comfortable in it) and it does the job. However when shooting a lot of raw the workflow is too slow, which is why I use aftershot instead. Trying to learn using Gimp more since it has enourmous power but have a bit of a steep treshold.
Attached Images

02-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have never heard of jasc paint.

Last edited by lgt525; 02-12-2013 at 04:19 AM.
02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #20

If you don't mind me asking, what programs did you guys use?

Recently, I've been going back to my old, Jasc Paint shop pro 7, to learn and relearn some basics. Ever heard of it?
I usually use Photoshop. Never heard of Jasc Paint. There's a good freeware program out there called GIMP that's similar to photoshop that's really good as well.
02-10-2013, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my take on it... Converted to toned B&W in Sagelight, with some adjustments to curves and local-contrast sharpening, and a tall vertical crop.

-Joe-
Attached Images

02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by landscaped1 Quote
I usually use Photoshop. Never heard of Jasc Paint. There's a good freeware program out there called GIMP that's similar to photoshop that's really good as well.
Thanks, landscaped1! I was most curious what program was used to make that wonderful background texture; it is most effective.
I think, Jasc Paint Shop Pro became the more well known, Corel Paint shop Pro. My Jasc program came bundled with a now extinct computer many moons ago
I've been meaning to check out GIMP. I've heard good things about it, too.

Edith

02-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
Forum Member

Thanks, landscaped1! I was most curious what program was used to make that wonderful background texture; it is most effective.
I think, Jasc Paint Shop Pro became the more well known, Corel Paint shop Pro. My Jasc program came bundled with a now extinct computer many moons ago
I've been meaning to check out GIMP. I've heard good things about it, too.

Edith
I used photoshop cs5 for the two that I retouched. In my experience, photoshop is the most powerful postprocessing program out there, but its expensive. GIMP is free.
02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
I used photoshop cs5 for the two that I retouched. In my experience, photoshop is the most powerful postprocessing program out there, but its expensive. GIMP is free.
Thanks, lgt525! I've tried photoshop trials and I agree it is ever so nice, but, pricey.

I was hopeful about the CS2 giveaway, but, I've seen a lot of conflicting info on the Web, so, don't know what to think. Maybe, it was for only a few days?

Free is good. I've heard that GIMP has a steep learning curve, so, it will take some time. Me probably, more than most.
02-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #25

Thanks, lgt525! I've tried photoshop trials and I agree it is ever so nice, but, pricey.

I was hopeful about the CS2 giveaway, but, I've seen a lot of conflicting info on the Web, so, don't know what to think. Maybe, it was for only a few days?

Free is good. I've heard that GIMP has a steep learning curve, so, it will take some time. Me probably, more than most.
If you are using only Windows Paintshop pro is actually still a good alternative and priced very competatively so why not download a trial so you can see for yourself? As I wrote earlier, I use it and like it, but for the workflow dealing with lots (1500 after a weekend of dog sports) of raw images it's a little slow. I do some detail editing in it though and since I have the ultimate edition I have access to lots of nice filters, using X4 now. As I am mostly on Linux my "main tools" are Gimp and Aftershot Pro, both of them can be used on Windows, Linux, MacOS.
02-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #26
Forum Member

GIMP has the same (or similar) steep learning curve that photoshop has. It was designed by people that wanted the functionality of photoshop but didn't want the steep price. . I always get my adobe products on student discounts. I will either hit up a friend who teaches or is taking a class, or I will enroll in an enrichment course or a yoga course or something at my local community college so that I can get academic pricing. The academic price for adobe photoshop is around $300 or so and although that is still pricey, it is worth it in my opinion because the software is so powerful.
02-11-2013, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #27

I cropped even more heavily than Bjorn. I would have liked to have included some more reflection of sky, but I thought the fisherman became too diminished.
I opened in photoshop cs6, cropped, adjusted levels, converted to LAB color, adjusted curves on the A and B channels, used some slight dodging on the subject's face and blurred a few blemishes near the clouds. Then I exported it to Lightroom, used the "Punch" filter and sharpened it slightly. Back to Photoshop to scale and export.

Last edited by spanky; 09-08-2014 at 08:16 PM.
02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bartas Quote
Just converted to BW, added two gradient filters and crop the image.
I noticed that this is your very first post on Pentax Forums and I wanted to say, "Welcome"!

It's a great place, to share, learn, have some fun, and make new friends.

Hope, to see more of your work around here.

Edith
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Bjorn and Igt525 for your thoughtful comments and advice. I've just about decided to give GIMP a try. The brushes alone, look most interesting to me.
Do, I need another PP program? In reality, probably not. Do I want to explore and try new ideas, techniques, etc.. Of course.

Edith
PP challenges are also great for sharing new ideas!

Last edited by chemtech; 02-11-2013 at 05:09 PM.
02-11-2013, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I love this game/challenge. I was wondering a while ago where it went but got busy with Life and never asked.

Here is my take. Levels done in FastStone and then played with some filters in adobe photoshop 7.0. Wasn't the original 'look' I was going for but I got sidetracked and quite liked the end result.