Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Niagara Escarpment - a World Biosphere Reserve
Do you plan to traverse the whole thing?

Just kidding - that sounds really exciting to a Missouri Riverdweller.!

I have two one business trips during April - Santa Fe, NM and Pepperdine University, Malibu/Pasadena, CA., so I should have variety as opposed to a detailed study of a specific geologic feature. Coupled with whatever moves me in St. Louis the "album" should be interesting, though. [EDIT] RE: St. Louis, this challenge should do two things: 1) Force me to take pictures every day and deal with the day's conditions as they are; 2) Challenge me to actually go take pictures of some places I've often thought about but never gotten up the energy to do (Soulard Farmer's Market, Grand Basin, some Street scenes). Making a commitment to film changes bioth the urgency and the convenience aspects of the challenge.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-20-2013 at 08:07 AM.
03-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just getting ready, K1000 performing well, Fuji Superia is one year out of date, but still OK.

Cheers
03-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lovely shot!
03-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

With film, I've found myself not making any exposures after spending a few minutes looking at a scene, when I would have snapped away a dozen-odd digital captures with my K-5. I like this. I like the contemplation. I think I'm getting better at recognizing interesting scenes.

With these challenges, which I haven't done before, it seems like part of the idea is to just get out there and do it. Practice makes perfect. This balances well against my reluctance to spend money on film.

Here's how I would want to do the Single In April, then. Take pictures every day, with a single lens/camera/film. (Super Program, 35mm/2.8, TMax 100.) Make notes about each exposure. After each day's shooting, I post a description of the capture that I think will be best. This is the daily posting. When I get the film back, I edit that day's post with an image and notes about how it worked better than, worse than, or differently from what I expected.

That kind of project is tailored to what I want to focus on improving--previsualization and using B&W film--but might be more involved than others would be interested in. Thoughts?

03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think it's time to sum this discussion up.

My proposal for this challenge would be as follows:

Film type - color and/or b&w ok, could use either or both during the month.

Shooting/Posting - there were a lot of ideas on this but the one, for me, that is the most inclusive is to shoot every day during April and post one image per day in May. So from what you shoot on April 1st, you would select one image to post on May 1st. As May has one more day than April, May 31st would be the day for whatever you want to post.

Images will be posted on a separate daily thread (different from the digital posters).

Posts should include basic exposure data, i.e., f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, camera. Extra credit would be to include data on film development and/or scanning used.

Lens - as this still is a single in challenge, the constraint will still be to shoot with and use images from the same lens during the month. Different camera bodies are ok but the same lens is to be used during the month. That means...you could select a 6x7 lens and shoot with it on a 6x7 camera, convert it to 645 or 35mm and still use images from it. That might be an extreme case but that's ok as far as I'm concerned.

In looking over this discussion I feel that some understood this to mean shoot only one image per day. That is not and has never been the rule in this challenge. You can shoot as many images as you like each day but you will only post one image per day.

I hope this gives maximum flexibility to all film shooters here. It's a bit funky to post a month later but that should be plenty of time for all to shoot/develop/select/scan/post their 'Single in April film only Challenge' images.

That's my take. How 'bout it?
03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I think it's time to sum this discussion up.

My proposal for this challenge would be as follows:

Film type - color and/or b&w ok, could use either or both during the month.

Shooting/Posting - there were a lot of ideas on this but the one, for me, that is the most inclusive is to shoot every day during April and post one image per day in May. So from what you shoot on April 1st, you would select one image to post on May 1st. As May has one more day than April, May 31st would be the day for whatever you want to post.

Images will be posted on a separate daily thread (different from the digital posters).

Posts should include basic exposure data, i.e., f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, camera. Extra credit would be to include data on film development and/or scanning used.

Lens - as this still is a single in challenge, the constraint will still be to shoot with and use images from the same lens during the month. Different camera bodies are ok but the same lens is to be used during the month. That means...you could select a 6x7 lens and shoot with it on a 6x7 camera, convert it to 645 or 35mm and still use images from it. That might be an extreme case but that's ok as far as I'm concerned.

In looking over this discussion I feel that some understood this to mean shoot only one image per day. That is not and has never been the rule in this challenge. You can shoot as many images as you like each day but you will only post one image per day.

I hope this gives maximum flexibility to all film shooters here. It's a bit funky to post a month later but that should be plenty of time for all to shoot/develop/select/scan/post their 'Single in April film only Challenge' images.

That's my take. How 'bout it?
I'm OK with the single lens, and ok with different camera bodies.

I'd like to use different film speeds during the month, and hopefully do both day and night shots? Is this OK?
03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I'm OK with the single lens, and ok with different camera bodies.

I'd like to use different film speeds during the month, and hopefully do both day and night shots? Is this OK?
Different film speeds! Duh! Of course that's ok. I should have said that as well. Thanks for asking.

03-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really not super keen on photos in April and posting in May - The whole idea was to have Single in April... if all your shots get posted in the first week of May who cares, but I dont really see the point of shooting say 100 frames, picking one for May 1, another for May 2 etc... or am I misinterpreting what is being communicated?
03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Unless I can use other brands im out, as the only pentax film body I have left has developed shutter problems. (no doubt because lack of use....)
03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I'm really not super keen on photos in April and posting in May - The whole idea was to have Single in April... if all your shots get posted in the first week of May who cares, but I dont really see the point of shooting say 100 frames, picking one for May 1, another for May 2 etc... or am I misinterpreting what is being communicated?
Well, what I'm suggesting is that you would post 1 image from how many ever frames you shoot on April 1st on May 1st, repeat for April 2nd etc.

OTOH, what is your proposal?
03-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the thread should be started for April, and as the participants complete the work necessary to make the photos available to the forum they publish. Because this potentially activates 30 days of threads which would be confusing to find the posts, I suggest that since it will take about a week to shoot a roll of film, to post weekly threads for April (yes that would mean there would be at most 5 threads). April week one should have 7 photos from each participant. As would week two, three and four.

"waiting" to post shots for May seems tortuous - on the other hand posting a photo for May 30th on May 1st is just as confusing.

In the spirit of "Single In" the shooting is April, the posting should be into an April thread, and the timeline in which photos are posted into those threads should be "AS well as you can manage". I understand all the limitations of development (I've lived it, and it seems I'll have to mail away my E6 film if I want to use it /eyeroll).

At any rate, I'm not trying to be contankerous, I'm just trying to great realistic guildelines which could possibly allow for a subsequent month of film should participants choose to do that.. after two months (Jan & Feb) I becomes habit forming and you might be surprised that folks will want to continue it just for kicks.

Thats my 2 bits... I'll hold my peace now for ever and ever ( I promise)
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm tending to lean over in Matt's direction on this, but I'm lucky that I can either develop some of my own film, and have the other types developed in a 1 hour photo shop, and then scan them in myself and process virtually every 3-4 days. If you choose the right film, it should only cost a few dollars to get it developed (realistically less than the price of a good coffee), and scanned onto DVD (if you don't have your own scanner.

But it's meant to be fun for all, so I will be happy to "go with the flow" that is the consensus.
03-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
it's meant to be fun for all,
Amen to that! What was fun was explaining to my wife that I didn't buy ANOTHER camera when the 6x7 arrived on the scene...
03-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Matt, I'm trying to be inclusive and keep it fun. Personally, I wanted to keep it all in April as well. Hmmm...weekly posting wasn't my favorite but it could work as well. So how does posting on April 7, 14, 21, 28 and... the final few days when you can sound?
03-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....with the understanding that if its not processed, you cant post... and you get to it when you get to it - no need for anxiety over a recreational activity. Thumbs up here!