Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
....with the understanding that if its not processed, you cant post... and you get to it when you get to it - no need for anxiety over a recreational activity. Thumbs up here!
So seven photos for the week. They would not have to be shot on separate days correct?

03-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been watching this thread develop (sorry ) for a while. and it seems like everyone will be working at different speeds. I am lucky as the local camera shop is only 15 minutes away and they can process my colour films in 30 minutes if they are not busy. In December I shot 6 rolls of 36 exposures but my output varied greatly from day to day. Also Thursday is when I have the most free time.

I think the main trouble will be knowing when someone posts new pictures. If there were not many film shooters could we each make an individual thread for the whole month and then subscribe to each other's threads? That way we can get notifications from the forum about new posts. If we post the pictures in reverse order then it should be easier for people to find them and comment.

Also the idea of using a small notebook as a record is great. Don't know if I have time to write down all the details though

Finally a bit of bad news the price of Fujifilm films will be increasing by 15-20% here in Japan from April 1st.

patjp
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know it's probably very old news, but I just wanted to tell people about an iPhone/iPad/iPod app that might be helpful for this challenge:

"Pocket Light Meter" - (free) turns your ipod/ipad/iphone into a light meter. I've tested it along side a friends light meter, and it's darn accurate most of the time. A good way to double check the metering of your film camera (proper light meters are very expensive). My K1000 and Spotmatic are both within 0.5EV of the light meter, so with film this is quite good enough.

There are other fancier versions up on iTunes, but they cost a few cents more!

Cheers.
John.
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm such a luddite my iPod is too old to run the app... no onboard camera you see. I'll be checking exposures with my Kr.

03-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, here is my revised proposal for this challenge:

Film type - color and/or b&w ok, could use either or both during the month. Can use different ISO film during the month.

Shooting/Posting - shooting daily - if possible, posting weekly maximum of 7 images.

Images will be posted on a separate weekly thread (different from the digital posters). Weekly thread posting on April 7, 14, 21, 28 and... the final few days when you can. In other words, a thread will be created on April 7th for posting of the 7 shots taken during April 1-7. Obviously, it will take time to process the images so posting could occur anytime on or after April 7th. Each week would follow the same pattern.

Posts should include basic exposure data, i.e., f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, camera. Extra credit would be to include data on film development and/or scanning used.

Lens - as this still is a single in challenge, the constraint will still be to shoot with and use images from the same lens during the month. Different camera bodies are ok but the same lens is to be used during the month. That means...you could select a 6x7 lens and shoot with it on a 6x7 camera, convert it to 645 or 35mm and still use images from it. That might be an extreme case but that's ok as far as I'm concerned.
03-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
select a 6x7 lens and shoot with it on a 6x7 camera, convert it to 645 or 35mm and still use images from it.
!!! HAHA!!!!

The 6x7 55mm f4.0 weighs more than my ME super!! LOL!! It Does ad a different dimension though.. .maybe I ought to source an adapter

Looks good Tim - Thanks for keeping the administrative side of this moving, it would be a drag to make a month of photos with no group or place to post them.

Loaded my first roll of 120 yesterday and blew the first two exposures.. this could get messy
03-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too hard. I'll stick with digital. Anyone want to buy a pristine MZ-S?

03-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
!!! HAHA!!!!

The 6x7 55mm f4.0 weighs more than my ME super!! LOL!! It Does ad a different dimension though.. .maybe I ought to source an adapter

Looks good Tim - Thanks for keeping the administrative side of this moving, it would be a drag to make a month of photos with no group or place to post them.

Loaded my first roll of 120 yesterday and blew the first two exposures.. this could get messy
Good! Thanks. I find the 6x7 a bit touchy on the shutter and have blown more than one or two frames myself. My 645 is similar occasionaly my camera feels it needs to take several frames when I only wanted one. Welcome to film...
03-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Too hard. I'll stick with digital. Anyone want to buy a pristine MZ-S?
Sorry. I wish I could get that MZ-S but my funds are spent at the moment.
03-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The magic of film...

Enjoy! It's getting closer.
And I broke my yellow filter today.

Last edited by jackassp; 03-25-2013 at 08:35 PM.
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet!!
03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, for the record, the last set of rules I proposed above are how we will do this challenge. We will continue this thread as the monthly discussion thread. As indicated above, the first weekly posting thread will be put up on April 7th likely by me. So load your cameras and get ready to start shooting on April 1st!

I haven't really come to grips with what I'm going to be shooting. I really want to use my new (to me) 645n with something like my 45mm or 135LS lens but the 6x7 A 300mm lens has seen little use and may get the call, then again...there are several really nice 35mm lenses that need a work out too. I'll figure it out for sure. Off we go to Single in April - film version!
03-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Hello for a long time!

I'd love to participate. I'll be in either with helios 44 M or smc tak. 35/3.5... First week will be with B&W t-max 100. Hopefully I get to shoot snow melting down...(if spirng does not come, I'll shoot just winter scenes then).
03-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Hello for a long time!

I'd love to participate. I'll be in either with helios 44 M or smc tak. 35/3.5... First week will be with B&W t-max 100. Hopefully I get to shoot snow melting down...(if spirng does not come, I'll shoot just winter scenes then).
Welcome aboard.

I'm going to shoot some:

Ektar 100 and Portra 160 Colour film
PanF (50) and XP2 Plus (125) and Tri-X(400) B+W film

for the month.

I'll be using my Pentax A 50mm 1.4 lens with K1000 camera (goddamn, I wanted to use a few [including FA77, M135, and FA*300]) for the month, and concentrating on inner city shooting, indoors and outdoors for the month.

My K1000 has shutter curtain issues at high shutter speeds, I will have to hope for overcast conditions when shooting ISO 400, or use an ND filter too.

I have a Spotmatic SP in reserve, but only with 55/1.8 lens
03-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Shooting with a fast normal lens, great.