Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in April *film only version* Discussion

I'm starting this thread as a discussion place where we can give some thought and shape to the Single in April Film version challenge. While the concept will be 1 lens, 1 image, 1 post per day as all the single in challenges are, the way we get it done will be quite different as will be the equipment. I'm hoping we can get this hashed out over the next several weeks and roll right into a smooth start in April.

So, for starters, the will likely be a delay in posting as folks chew through film and get to scanning. Personally, I'm likely going to be using one of my medium format cameras which shoot far less 10-15 images on a roll and as I can develop B&W at home, I can scan things within a day from the end of a roll. One question is shall we keep it to all b&w or color or whatever? For those few of us who have actually tried this before, have you got some lessons to share or suggest?

Chime in here when you can.

02-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll vote for both Color and B&W.

I'll most likely use a Fixed lens camera.

And with either 12 shot MF or 12-24 shot 35mm, posting once a week.
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it should be a once per week post - that way you have ample time to expose a roll, and process. I will be doing B&W and processing in the basement. I dont think there is a need to specify colour or B&W... I know Patjapan can process colour when ever he likes... I on the other hand have to wait until Thursdays... and If I miss processing day, I have to wait another week.
02-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I really want to use my 645. But I've delivered four rolls to four different labs...some as far back as 3 weeks ago or as early as last week...nothing back yet.

I can get my film of choice in 35mm back within 48 hours (Portra 160). So I think I'll stick with my LX I just got.

As for lens... FA 31 or FA 77 for sure.

02-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the delay would be ok.....look at the travelling screwmount and K threads.....the delay is all part of the thread. For me, I can't take a pic every day due to work commitments, but could take a roll once a week and would be happy to chose a lens and film body.....perhaps this would be a good mix considering we have to deal with processing?
03-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I was thinking was that we'd roll (no pun intended) into April shooting every day and when you get a roll developed and selected images scanned, they could then be posted on the specific days the images were shot. So, it might be around April 8/9 before any posts were actually entered. I understand the weekly nature of this one and lab (commercial or home) turn around times not withstanding, I still like the idea of trying for one image posted per day. I do think though that if people people can only post one image per week that should be very acceptable was well. With medium format you have less frames per roll and that makes it easier for posting. For 35mm, you might try to keep it to 24 exposure rolls to move the process along. I get the feeling that for all who participate in this challenge, it will be quite literally a challenge of our various lab support systems, and that we are likely to be posting well in to May and commenting well into May. Kinda interesting really.

One tip I can pass along is that with labs, which I tend to only use for color work as I do enjoy my b&w processing at home, is to simply ask the lab to develop and scan - no prints. That goes faster for me actually and I can pop the CD in and evaluate or upload the images quickly. Oh...and it's cheaper too.
03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will use my LX since I've not really used it in any dedicated way yet. Or maybe my XA. Since I have to mail BW to Dwaynes (unless I use C41) I would either use color-only or if the thread constraints worked out right, post (much) later.

It then occured to me we could each post our own "Constraints" according to our particular circumstances and then follow them, posting as we are able. That works for me mainly because the point is to take the photos, not to post every day.

Some sort of broad general rule, such as "Your definition of 'One'" might apply. One image a day, one lens for a month, one set up for a month, one subject for a month, one time of day for a month - even one location 31 times if that tunes your fiddle.

But you have to make an "I'm In" commitment post, and state your "Rule" when you make your "I'm In" commitment post.

One A Day vitamins come in many colors. Let's see what creativity comes out of a broad read of the "Rules."

Last edited by monochrome; 03-02-2013 at 07:05 PM.
03-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I will use my LX since I've not really used it in any dedicated way yet. Or maybe my XA. Since I have to mail BW to Dwaynes (unless I use C41) I would either use color-only or if the thread constraints worked out right, post (much) later.

It then occured to me we could each post our own "Constraints" according to our particular circumstances and then follow them, posting as we are able. That works for me mainly because the point is to take the photos, not to post every day.

Some sort of broad general rule, such as "Your definition of 'One'" might apply. One image a day, one lens for a month, one set up for a month, one subject for a month, one time of day for a month - even one location 31 times if that tunes your fiddle.

But you have to make an "I'm In" commitment post, and state your "Rule" when you make your "I'm In" commitment post.

One A Day vitamins come in many colors. Let's see what creativity comes out of a broad read of the "Rules."
Wow, there is a lot of food for thought in this. I will only say for now that nothing has been decided and everything is up for discussion. Let's keep this discussion going. Thanks for the input so far.

03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Wow, there is a lot of food for thought in this. I will only say for now that nothing has been decided and everything is up for discussion. Let's keep this discussion going. Thanks for the input so far.
Just to be clear, I'll play whatever the decided challenge is - but if we're going to discuss first, well those were my thoughts.
03-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got that. My goal / hope is to be as inclusive as possible. This is for fun and it's really always been a personal challenge.
03-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After Shooting January and December on film, I'd say a set composed of 30 photos for the thirty days some how tied back to the forum and posted into the daily in the group should be the bare minimum... Of course shot using pentax gear, and shot on film.
03-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mattt, do you have some insights/tips/lessons learned from the past couple of months on film you'd like to share here?
03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Between Dec/Jan I shot 144 frames each. 6x24 in Dec and 4x36 in Jan... I wouldn't consider shooting less in 35mm format.

I really got behind in Jan because I waited until the end of the month to process.. Dec was processed commercially on a weekly bases. I would opt for weekly if I were you, it's easier to remember what / where / how.
03-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I found a place that will do 120 in 1 week. Which would work great. So in theory I would be 2 weeks behind? *gasp* problem is, said lab is horribly expensive. I paid $60 for 2 rolls of 36 C-41 to be developed and printed on 5x7. seriously sad moment
03-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At that rate you could pick up tank / change bag / chemistry an have $$'s left over at the end of the month ( b & w ).

PS I don't print or have yet to... I just scan.