Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like Heie started a trend!

04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #152

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Skism here. I wanted to say thanks for the kind words that have accompanied my entry. And good luck to everyone. I just got back from my Cameroon trip, which I had mentioned in my entry (I was packing for the visit at the time). Rough travel on occasion, but visited some great projects, volunteers and local community leaders. I've posted one of my favourite shots from the trip, because this forum seems to be continuing as a forum that celebrates the wonderful, odd, occasionally risky world of ours. It goes without saying that whoever wins the lens has to call it Heie. As in, 'just a second, I have to grab my K-30 and Heie.' (Actually, maybe that doesn't sound right!)
Attached Images

04-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #153
Inactive Account

The winner should befriend Heie so that he can see what the winner does with the acquisition.
04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #154
Forum Member

I feel I should reiterate my suggestion, since it was largely ignored:
QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
Heie, this is just a suggestion, but with so many entries perhaps it would be more timely if you narrowed them down to the top 10 or so, and then either released them to the community in one go, or over a period of a couple weeks or so on the front page? I'd wager that the contestants would prefer this to waiting for all 40 entries to be posted every couple days and it might save everyone time (contest ends earlier for us, and you don't have to re-format every single entry). Take note, for example, that the community has rated only one of the last 4 entries shown on the front page above 2.5 stars.
And in light of today's Fearless post (yet another rated below 2 stars), I'd really think most PentaxForums members and visitors would rather not have half of the homepage covered in posts with material they regard to be of very low quality. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to pick out 10 or so of the "best" entries from the total pool given the quality thusfar, and it would avoid the re-formatting problems Heie expressed to be so time consuming. (Also, the possibility that these low ratings are a result of contestants unfairly voting down each entry is contradicted by the very first Fearless post that was received favorably.)

04-12-2013, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukelbd Quote
I feel I should reiterate my suggestion, since it was largely ignored:
I apologize for seemingly ignoring your suggestion. It seems I've "ignored" several other topics, including a pretty contentious one - I have been extremely busy as of late and I apologize for that perception.

Regarding your suggestion, I just had this conversation with another entry submitter. This is what I sent to him:

QuoteQuote:
There are a few things I would change had I been able to do this all over again. Regardless, I won't change it now because that can only breed more cynicism, and I don't want that to happen.

But had I been able to make 1 change, it would be "I will personally pick the best 15 submissions and those will make it to the homepage for further peer review and voting." There's a few that, frankly, are not to the caliber that I had expected. I had to DQ several for the complete refusal to submit a single word of text. One guy's entire submission was a link to a flickr album of 15 photos. That's it. No text, no caption, no explanation, nothing - just a copy and past of the URL and nothing more. But it is what it is and lesson learned for when I'm chief of Pentax Marketing
But, at the same time, there is the side effect of what VD brought up:

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can see why Heie takes the slower approach as a big part of this challenge is to inspire others with people's stories about fearlessness and a lot would be forgotten and missed if it was done with just a short poll.
It wasn't intended to be done this "slowly" on purpose - I really didn't expect this many submissions and like I said above, in retrospect I would make some changes. But to make them now? That would be unfair to everyone that met the criteria for submission - I never published that in the initial rules, so to all of a sudden chop the legs out from someone -- and while you or I at the end of the day scratch our head and feel it isn't worthy, it was to them to submit it -- would be disrespectful and contrary to the spirit of this contest. For all we know, this inspired someone to turn off the computer and pick up their camera. That alone is a win and I stand by that. Not to mention, how many new PF members are here because of this giveaway and entered in it? Some are not going to have even the remotest chance of winning - I got that. I think those who submitted these "subpar" entries will at the end of the day be inspired to "up their game." And the price to pay is the winner and everyone else has to wait 2-3 more weeks to make it to the final entry? Spend the time photographing instead of being here wishing the process were faster and those that "absolutely won't win" aren't given their 5 minutes of fame. It means more to them and their potential as photographers than the 2-3 weeks does to you.

Now, I don't mean to address that to you (lukelbd), however I know there are many whom are breeding cynicism towards this project because of the last few submissions. Like I said above, in retrospect I would do a few things differently from the beginning, but as I am a young 25 year old newby (this marks less than 2.5 years since I first touched a DSLR) that has never hosted a contest like this before, I am bound to make a few mistakes and learn in the process.

I promise there are many good entries to come, and if the entire process takes a little longer, then so be it. I personally love that I caused someone to pick up their camera and say "I'll take a stab at being fearless" and/or "Hmm...let me see what this Pentax/Pentax Forums thing is all about." That is worth more than a lens in my opinion. And don't worry, the winner won't go anywhere

Also, to revert to a topic preceding Luke's post above this, apparently there were miscommunications on the previous page (toneless text has that effect), and I apologize for putting anyone on the defensive regarding their legitimate questions about the pace of this contest.

Very Respectfully,
Heie

P.S. Just because this contest is over doesn't mean you still can't be FEARLESS! Tonto, I LOVE IT!! Thank you for picking up the baton and continuing to run with it.

Last edited by Heie; 04-12-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
04-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #156
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
P.S. Just because this contest is over doesn't mean you still can't be FEARLESS! Tonto, I LOVE IT!! Thank you for picking up the baton and continuing to run with it.
Lol, I don't know about that but you have inspired me to at least get off my arse and post some photos.
04-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #157
Veteran Member

I also felt inspired and made my own "fearless" shooting out in the rain out on the ice.
Here's my non-giveaway contribution:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/221827-nature-bird-photo...ml#post2351830

04-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #158
Veteran Member

But to make them now? That would be unfair to everyone that met the criteria for submission - I never published that in the initial rules, so to all of a sudden chop the legs out from someone -- and while you or I at the end of the day scratch our head and feel it isn't worthy, it was to them to submit it -- would be disrespectful and contrary to the spirit of this contest. For all we know, this inspired someone to turn off the computer and pick up their camera.
Well now I'm very curious..
You've posted 10 so far and then this message today:
"Stay tuned for the final two later today"
That's 12 by my count..
you said there were 36-40 entries, depending on some corrections.

Last edited by crossmr; 04-20-2013 at 06:52 AM.
04-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #159
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw that too and already contacted Adam. It was supposed to read "...the *next* two." Small typo albeit with clearly different implications.

Sorry for the confusion!

-Heie
04-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #160

I saw that too and already contacted Adam. It was supposed to read "...the *next* two." Small typo albeit with clearly different implications. Sorry for the confusion! -Heie
As time goes by I admire your giveaway even more. Just answering all those questions is fine piece of work. And all that just to give something away.
Respect!
04-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
As time goes by I admire your giveaway even more. Just answering all those questions is fine piece of work. And all that just to give something away. Respect!
Thank you

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned from my (short) time in the Army is the value of communication. Even if there is no news, overcommunicating helps to minimize cynicism and fear (the latter of which isn't a real concern here lol). Nobody likes to be ignored, and when they do, it breeds cynicism. And misery invites company.

It's a very significant part of the reason that Pentaxians are so dissatisfied with Pentax HQ - we aren't looking for definitive release dates for their products (it'd sure be nice though!), but some communication so we know they aren't on a 6 month vacation would help assuage a lot of cynicism towards the company.

-Heie
04-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #162

Amen to that Haie!
One of the first things I've noticed when I switched to Pentax was complete absence of marketing. As a matter of fact last few weeks I am writing post on that subject (should be finished soon) with my ideas how they should ACT on that matter.
04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #163
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
Amen to that Haie!
One of the first things I've noticed when I switched to Pentax was complete absence of marketing. As a matter of fact last few weeks I am writing post on that subject (should be finished soon) with my ideas how they should ACT on that matter.
Welcome to the knighthood of the holy roundtable, Sir Galahad.
All Pentax needs today is more self-appointed, rogue knights, die-hard defenders of the crown.

05-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #164

Im waiting patiently for the the video entries, i believe there are 6.
none has been posted yet, i can't wait to see what out dear users cooked up!

good weekend everyone
05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
Im waiting patiently for the the video entries, i believe there are 6. none has been posted yet, i can't wait to see what out dear users cooked up! good weekend everyone
Wouldn't you know it - as you posted that, the first video in the line-up was scheduled to be posted

Fearlessly Rejecting Rejection - DA* 16-50 Giveaway Entry

-Heie