Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #16

Amazing

First of all, let me just say how amazing it is to see that there are still such generous human beings! This is just inspiring...

I am a recent Pentaxian, my only lenses are the 18-55 WR and the D-FA 100 so for me, wanting to get into nature and wildlife photography, this is an amazing opportunity!
I'll try to enter the competition.

03-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Kudos to Heie!
03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a wonderful thing to do - it represents the nature of so many Pentaxians here. Thanks.
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I will be headed around Juarez pretty soon. So if I wander around the ghettos doing street photography hopefully I will qualify

03-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
It's good to be FEARLESS! - The Heie DA* 16-50 Giveaway

For those that don't know, Duplo, a Pentax Forums member, hosted a giveaway of his cherished DA 21mm Limited in May of 2012. His motivations were his migration over to Nikon and after selling all of his gear, he couldn't bring himself to sell his 21 LTD because of all the history the two of them shared together. I myself entered in his giveaway competition, and while he gave me honorary accolades for my entry upon the conclusion of his competition, I did not ultimately win. What I did "win" from Duplo's contest, however, was an unknown inspiration to mirror his initiative. I say "unknown" because it wasn't until 6 months later that not only an opportunity to do so had arisen, but an awareness of it.

I bought a new DA* 16-50 to replace my current one because I had wanted one with warranty coverage in the unlikely event of an SDM failure, an opportunity that arose during the Black Friday sales several months ago. I say unlikely because I own four SDM lenses (all the DA*'s except the 200mm and 300mm), and for those of you who are not aware of my photography (see my signature for details), I have used my lenses in some of the most austere and demanding environments and situations known to electronics. Never once have I had a failure, however because the DA* 16-50 has become responsible for 90% of my photography - a workhorse in every sense of the word - I have come to depend on it too much. What that means is that I needed to have some insurance in the event of what I do realize is unlikely, and now I have come to possess two DA* 16-50 copies. I was going to sell the older one, but then that is where the above nostalgic reference to Duplo came to mind.

There is no lens in my "armory" that has seen so much and taken so much abuse and yet still looked up to me with its big, beautiful eye asking for more, and delivering on that promise.

It has come running with me. It has been rock climbing with me. It has shivered under countless showers. It has been entirely submerged under the talcum-like contents of an Afghan sandbag. It has deployed to Afghanistan for an entire twelve months. It has taken part in combat operations in Afghanistan. It has seen and captured the tears of Afghan schoolboys being handed humanitarian aid in the form of backpacks, school supplies, and Beanie Babies. It has honed its aperture to the emotional crumbling of warriors during a memorial for their fallen brethren. It has shot true despite tears making the viewfinder blind to what lay through the other side. It has witnessed the withering light that is the hope of some of Afghanistan's own weathered and tired veterans of wars lasting lifetimes. It has survived the Kepler and Rakiura Tracks of New Zealand, as well as her fiords' waterfalls from being forced to go directly under them.

It has thus in my not so humble opinion earned the right to not be traded for a quick buck, and this is an opportunity to give back to the Pentax Forums community when I have been given so much from you in the form of support while deployed to Afghanistan for a year. And that's what brings me to the following:

I created an impromptu marketing campaign for Pentax dubbed It's good to be FEARLESS. Resurrecting and building off that mantra that I have come to consider so fundamentally organic to my photography and Pentax's role in it, I invite you to earn my storied DA* 16-50.

Contest Dates
Submissions open from this point forward until 2359 (aka 11:59pm) Eastern Standard Time (EST, Time Zone -1) on 31 March 2013.

Contest Rules
  • Two Part Submission
    • Image/Video Submission: submit three images OR one video (unlimited duration) that in your opinion best captures the theme "It's good to be FEARLESS," and explain why you feel that way. While not necessary, technical details of the photos/video would be appreciated, especially if being fearless was part of the capture process
      • All must be your own original work
      • No time period on the capture of the image or creation of the video, however please state when they were made
    • Written Submission: describe what "It's good to be FEARLESS" means to you and your photography/videography, and how you would be fearless with this new acquisition
      • as short or long as you feel is necessary
  • No collaborations are permitted
    • Only exception would be a friend/family member that acted as an assistant during videoing. Disclose if so at the end of your submission.
  • No owners of DA 18-135 WR or any DA* lenses are allowed to enter
    • I of course have no way to verify this - it rests on your own integrity
Contest Prize
DA* 16-50 f/2.8 as pictured below with all components except for the serial number card from Pentax (was never included in the sale when I bought it).

Attachment 162603

Attachment 162604

Judging of the Winner
  • 5 entries or less: I will be the sole judge
  • 6 entries or more: I will open the contest to a vote across the Pentax Forums community (similar to the way monthly photo contests and the recent K-30 giveaway are done)
    • In the unlikely event of a tie, I will be the tie breaker
Full Disclosure
I am the third owner and bought it here on Pentax Forums, and it recently fell while mounted on a tripod (I accidentally kicked one of the legs), impacting on the zoom ring, jamming it. I sent it to CRIS for a repair and has since been repaired (at my expense, which you can see the bill below) to be in 100% working order (and I confirm this to be true) and has been thoroughly and professionally cleaned as well. I would rate it as in better condition than when I bought it (because of the professional cleaning) and aside from some cosmetic wear on the exterior of the lens, is indistinguishable from my new DA* 16-50, especially the optics. I did a test on my K-5 IIs and compared this with the new one, and honestly I was unable to discern any difference in sharpness across the zoom and focal range. Interestingly, the copy being offered is actually 300,000 serial units "newer" than my "brand new" DA* 16-50. Also, it comes with a 6-month warranty from CRIS that expires in August (September the latest should they honor the arrival date, since it came back to me two weeks after) because of the repair.

Attachment 162605

CONTEST ENTRY

Submit your entry here: 16-50mm Giveaway
  • Entries should be one thread per entrant with all text and links to images/videos in the same thread.
  • Your entries will be hidden until the end of the contest so as to ensure each entrant's submissions are not used as inspiration for competing contest entries.

You may post here in reply to this thread to discuss this contest, however no actual contest entries except for the above link.

I'll close in the same way Duplo did: I hope this contest will see at least an entry or two, would be a bit embarrassing if it does not

-Heie
Unfortunately I am disqualified from this epic event due to my owning an 18-135 lens. I wish to thank you Heie for this great challenge to the Pentax Forum Membership. I look forward to seeing the submissions to It's Good to be FEARLESS. Good luck to all of those who participate.
03-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Good luck to everyone and this is a very cool gesture Heie!
03-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

come to think of it.... very few Pentaxian don't own a WR/DA* lens.... the 2nd yr I bought my K200D I bought my first new lens, a 50-200mm WR lens.

so I think those who enters the competition will have a high chances of winning!

03-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
very few Pentaxian don't own a WR/DA* lens
I thought that only the 18-135 WR (and the DA* line) was "forbidden"...are the 18-55 WR and 55-200 WR also?
03-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What of those of us who are fearful? I suppose that counts me out then. Unless.. the very admission of being chicken is in itself an act of fearlessness! The only thing to fear is fear itself, as they say..
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hello Heie,
i dont own any DA* lens but i have a fear like normal people ..can i still join your competition ?
03-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #26

Great to hear of your story and generosity. I too have taken my DA* 16-50mm F/2.8 in very rough conditions at it accounts for 85% of my photography. So much that I travel with two of them. If one fails, I need the other one right away, so I can't just leave it as one plus warranty!

Have fun with the contest!

- Itai
03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
krp
Veteran Member

Wow that's nice of you Heie. It seems like whoever wins should stick that lens in a museum. I'll have to see if I can come up with a worthy entry, good luck to everyone who enters.
03-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
Forum Member

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. I've had my DA* 16-50 for about 3.5 years and given it a lot of use (although in nowhere near as harsh environments as the OP's experiences).
03-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are a class act - since I already own a couple of DA* lenses, I won't be taking part, but I commend you for your generosity.
03-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Alex, I too don't get to play. 18-135 mostly stays on my K7