Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
There are a few comments that I would like to address, however before I get to that, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your incredibly warm comments. I am humbled by not only the generosity of your comments, but the sheer intensity of it. Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Great Heie! Does it come with awesome desert sand? Now I need to sell my DA*300/4 to enter.
lol no, it does not come with any desert sand. In fact, the Customs and Border Patrol Agents that inspected our belongings for contraband looked for soil being taken out of Afghanistan as well. And I would advise against selling your DA* 300 to enter this

QuoteOriginally posted by luisalves Quote
I thought that only the 18-135 WR (and the DA* line) was "forbidden"...are the 18-55 WR and 55-200 WR also?
Your initial assumption was correct, just the DA 18-135 WR and the DA* line (and so owners of only the 18-55 WR and 50-200WR are not excluded from participating). I didn't do it originally, however I felt I should share my reasoning for excluding owners of those two groups of lenses. First, the 18-135 range, weather sealing, and overall IQ is not leap years away from the 16-50, and I ultimately felt that at the end of the day there would be no difference in shooting styles, opportunities gained, and "fearlessness" between the 16-50 and the 18-135. And the DA* line because I realized that through my career in the Army (and not being married! ) I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to afford the glass that I own. Making the assumption that DA* owners would most likely be able to afford another DA* lens, I wanted to ensure a high concentration of entrants that did not share that same luxury and thus may have had their "fearlessness" inhibited by financial constraints. Ultimately I would love to see as a final result of this contest new doors and opportunities being opened that were closed to the winner before having this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
hello Heie, i dont own any DA* lens but i have a fear like normal people ..can i still join your competition ?
Of course! Please do!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Tumbs up Heie, indeed if this lens could talk...I don't have a DA* and would love to have a copy of this fantastic lens. Maybe you should sign it or "This lens has served under Heie".
Hmm....I didn't consider signing it, and I wouldn't want to do that anyway on the lens body, however I have a few ideas of things to include with the lens. Thanks for the idea!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
I sure can't afford any * lenses, and I don't have any WRs anymore either (had the 50-200 I bought here, but I gave it to my photography teacher since he has a K-7 and my K-r isn't WR). This is an interesting (and incredibly generous) contest, but I can't think of anything I could possibly shoot that would be considered fearless by any viewer, so I shall just observe what others enter.
I cannot stress enough not to just observe. Chances are you won't win, yes that is true. But even if you don't, use this as a fresh sense of inspiration to do something different with your photography. But don't just sit on the sidelines - you owe it to yourself to at least make an attempt. Who knows, you may even walk away from it with a new DA* 16-50

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
When you say no collaborations, does this mean we can't use people in our pictures?
By this I simply meant that you could not collaborate with another PF member to do a joint submission. So of course you can have people in your photographs or videos, and even have them assist you if necessary (i.e. hold a diffuser, video tape you, etc) however the crux of the effort and ultimate submission must be on your own merit. I apologize for not being more explicit.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am eligible, but just good enough photographer to compete.
The beautiful thing about this is I am not targetting professionals. While talents vary across the gamut, I believe everyone is in agreeance that the difficult part of choosing a winner will not lie in the perfect composition or the best lighting, but rather the best job conveying one's passion and ability to tie that to being fearless through images and words. So to all those whom qualify to enter in this competition, I implore you to heed Monochrome's sage advice:

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Fearlessly confront shooting and entering. Courage is facing things. And write about it from the heart.
-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 03-09-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
03-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! You are so awesome for doing this! I have neither lens to disqualify me, so I'm going to spend the rest of the month with this in mind as I go around.
03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification Heie. I already have my submission idea, and pictures, just need to write it up then.
03-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #64

Aw, I want this lens, and your copy would make it even better. My girlfriend and I love your photos, but sadly I can't enter because I have the 18-135 :c

03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #65

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I cannot stress enough not to just observe. Chances are you won't win, yes that is true. But even if you don't, use this as a fresh sense of inspiration to do something different with your photography. But don't just sit on the sidelines - you owe it to yourself to at least make an attempt. Who knows, you may even walk away from it with a new DA* 16-50
I only take photos of my collection, my animals and my garden. I don't really have much else to take photos of because I'm a cripple and can't really get outside much. Let alone do/see anything that would be valid subjects, but I am interested in what people may submit. Obviously people with freedom of movement are going to be able to do much more interesting shots, or go out and see interesting things. (may even see some extreme sports, which, ten years ago I surely would have done). Nothing wrong with simply being an observer.
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #66

At this time and age it really feels good to see someone takign such action as yourself

this is without doubt a very beautiful action from you, that i don't know as i am relatively new in here
yesterday my pentaxk20d died during a show and my first thought was "what am i going to do now with my life that i can't afford anew camera, or even an older one"
so i decided to sell my only good glass, started cleaning my only two lens besides the kit 18.55 lens, a beautiful smc pentax-m 50mm f1.4 and a smc pentax-m 35mm f2.8
hopeless i wouldn't care if i'd lost my beauty lens or traded 'em for a pentax ist*d.. ijust couldn't stop photographing daily..

but today the gods must like me or there must be something or someone that wants me to keep going on on photography, i snaped the kit lens on my k20d and the shutter started working
i cried tears of joy.

i only work with manual lens because it's the only thing i could afford.
if i am now eligible to this giveway please confirm, even if i am not, i will submit one of the best pics i took and it was all about being fearless...
iif i am eligible to this giveway, i will enter this giveaway and the only thing i ask as of now is that you and everyone can give me a real honest feedback about my work as a photography passionate that learns on his own and by his own rules

thank you for this chance and good luck for everyone that's participating
03-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #67
Forum Member

Heie awesome idea and love the competition.. one question if I may..

I'm thinking of possibly doing something that has me in the shot.. which makes it kinda awkward to take the shot (unless I use a self timer/remote - but a tripod might not always be available for what I'm thinking ) - is it acceptable to dream up the scene, setup the camera etc. but have someone else do the final pointing and shooting? (in a similar way to you mentioning possibly needing help for the Video option)

03-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #68
Forum Member

WOW! This is awesome! Thanks so much for the opportunity to own such an amazing lens with such an amazing history! Super cool Heie! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your updates from your tour and thanks again for your service! Your sacrifice is sincerely appreciated by this former 3rd ID SGT! Now time to start thinking about my submission!
03-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #69

What a great concept - especially the eligibility criteria. The idea that jumps into my head straight away is something I've always wanted to capture but will probably take me years. I'll have to scratch my head and see if I can come up with a tamer interpretation of "Fearless".
03-10-2013, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #70
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
I only take photos of ...
How to put this without sounding patronising?

We each have a unique perspective. I'm sure that there are photos you can make, maybe different to your regular photos, that would express fearlessness -- from your perspective.

I'm a volunteer firefighter. I'm used to rushing towards stuff, from which others are busy rushing away. It doesn't seem fearless, just training (familiarity).

Maybe there are circumstances where your true fearlessness can shine through.

Please enter, and let us all see your fearlessness.

I reiterate the comments of others: this is a very generous, and imaginative offer, Heie. Thanks for offering your favourite lens to one of our number, yet to be determined.

P.S. I'm not eligible, as a happy owner of the DA* 200/2.8.
03-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #71

I like your style, what a great way for choosing a new destination for such a trusted lens.
Shame my 50-135 is making sure I can't enter this competition.
Sounds like you will have a lot of entries, so looking forward to seeing the results.
I salute you for showing how to be generous to others!
03-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #72
Veteran Member

You sir, are one of the reasons I purchased a K-5 in the first place. Insane weather sealing, under harsh conditions. Well done on being such a nice fellow as well, I already own a 16-50, but it would be nice to see the love spread around some.(Perhaps whomever you give it to will love it for it's qualities, rather than dislike it's shortcomings[The few it has])
03-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #73

Fantastic comp. Really generous of you. I've just had a shoot which I think would really fit with the concept perfectly. I'll definitely be submitting once I've narrowed it down to the three most appropriate images.

Cheers,

Nick
03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #74
Inactive Account

SO nice of you, i will surely enter for it, since i have not use or own a * lens before.

thx again
03-10-2013, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

lol no, it does not come with any desert sand. In fact, the Customs and Border Patrol Agents that inspected our belongings for contraband looked for soil being taken out of Afghanistan as well. And I would advise against selling your DA* 300 to enter this
Darn, I hoped for the sand so guess I'll keep my 300mm then.

Your initial assumption was correct, just the DA 18-135 WR and the DA* line (and so owners of only the 18-55 WR and 50-200WR are not excluded from participating). I didn't do it originally, however I felt I should share my reasoning for excluding owners of those two groups of lenses. First, the 18-135 range, weather sealing, and overall IQ is not leap years away from the 16-50, and I ultimately felt that at the end of the day there would be no difference in shooting styles, opportunities gained, and "fearlessness" between the 16-50 and the 18-135. And the DA* line because I realized that through my career in the Army (and not being married! ) I have been incredibly fortunate to be able to afford the glass that I own. Making the assumption that DA* owners would most likely be able to afford another DA* lens, I wanted to ensure a high concentration of entrants that did not share that same luxury and thus may have had their "fearlessness" inhibited by financial constraints. Ultimately I would love to see as a final result of this contest new doors and opportunities being opened that were closed to the winner before having this lens.
I see why you drew the line where you did, and I agree. Often people winning contests like this are people who already got the equipment or are able to grab it on their own. This way you simply invite more people to the cozy "land of the fearless".