Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winner and all those who sent their entries and all those who where involved in this.
It is being fearless enough to submit an (any) entry and face the whole public who will see and judge your work.
Congratulations everyone!

06-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #182
Inactive Account

Congrats to the Winner and to Heie for his outstanding contribution.
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Frankly there were some entries that did not belong on the PF homepage. Not only would the standard have been higher for what became public, but the pace of the project from first to last entry would have been far faster.
I have admired your images and writings over on PF. To offer this lens was amazingly generous on your part, and I'm sure we all thank you for it.

However, I have to respectfully disagree with what you said about some entries not belonging on the front page. I really looked forward to seeing all of the entries. In fact, I think your contest, and the publishing of the entries has embodied EXACTLY what is best about Pentax Forums; that it is a friendly community, rather than a competitive place whose only goal is to publish the best work.

I think we all have benefited from reading the many, many entries. I know I have, and I have been inspired by many of the essays. Thanks.
06-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #184

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to the winner and everyone who posted! Great idea for a contest, and really enjoyed the conceptual side of it.

06-26-2013, 05:56 AM - 3 Likes   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the kind words - for some reason they never seem to be in short supply

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I have admired your images and writings over on PF. To offer this lens was amazingly generous on your part, and I'm sure we all thank you for it.

However, I have to respectfully disagree with what you said about some entries not belonging on the front page. I really looked forward to seeing all of the entries. In fact, I think your contest, and the publishing of the entries has embodied EXACTLY what is best about Pentax Forums; that it is a friendly community, rather than a competitive place whose only goal is to publish the best work.

I think we all have benefited from reading the many, many entries. I know I have, and I have been inspired by many of the essays. Thanks.
I agree entirely with you, even when I defended it at the many complaints at the slow pace of the publishings. But at the end of the day, that "community feeling" brought about by the publishing of every post (which I am glad was wel received) does have to be balanced with the Pentax Forums main page and many other news pieces published on a near daily basis. Possibly a compromise (for next time? ) would be to publish the top ten on the front page, and then publish the rest internally on the forum so that the authors' hard work wasn't going completely neglected. Regardless, I agree with you and the spirit of doing it as was done, but the "admin" in me (since I've now done some of that behind the scenes work as a result of this project) is forced to disagree. It's a tough situation, I know, and like I said - you can't make everyone happy But thank you for your thoughts - it's much appreciated.

In closing this competition with my final responsibility -- mailing the lens away -- I decided that putting it in a box and sealing that by itself was too vapid a close. I decided to add a little flare:

This is the certificate folder that comes with all awards when presented by the U.S. Army. This specific folder was what my Bronze Star Medal came in as a result of my work in Afghanistan.
Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 753
Size:  238.5 KB

This is what it looks like inside, and with the two inserts that I added.
Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  204.0 KB

And here are the two inserts so you can actually read what the text says. Please excuse the poor quality scanner on the first one.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  171.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  228.0 KB

Again, it has been an absolute honor to host this competition, and I want to especially thank each and every one of the participants that made it especially worthwhile.

Very Respectfully,
Heie
06-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #186
Veteran Member

Wow Alex, that is an amazing set there!
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #187

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the kind words - for some reason they never seem to be in short supply

I agree entirely with you, even when I defended it at the many complaints at the slow pace of the publishings. But at the end of the day, that "community feeling" brought about by the publishing of every post (which I am glad was wel received) does have to be balanced with the Pentax Forums main page and many other news pieces published on a near daily basis. Possibly a compromise (for next time? ) would be to publish the top ten on the front page, and then publish the rest internally on the forum so that the authors' hard work wasn't going completely neglected. Regardless, I agree with you and the spirit of doing it as was done, but the "admin" in me (since I've now done some of that behind the scenes work as a result of this project) is forced to disagree. It's a tough situation, I know, and like I said - you can't make everyone happy But thank you for your thoughts - it's much appreciated.

In closing this competition with my final responsibility -- mailing the lens away -- I decided that putting it in a box and sealing that by itself was too vapid a close. I decided to add a little flare:

This is the certificate folder that comes with all awards when presented by the U.S. Army. This specific folder was what my Bronze Star Medal came in as a result of my work in Afghanistan.
Attachment 177682

This is what it looks like inside, and with the two inserts that I added.
Attachment 177681

And here are the two inserts so you can actually read what the text says. Please excuse the poor quality scanner on the first one.

Attachment 177684

Attachment 177685

Again, it has been an absolute honor to host this competition, and I want to especially thank each and every one of the participants that made it especially worthwhile.

Very Respectfully,
Heie
Oh my, I am utterly wowed Alex! Thanks so much. I had already printed off your initial post so I had that lovely writing, but what you created is just...perfect. (By the way, in addition to producing great shots, you really do have a great way with words, as many of us have noted.)

In my house, I have a built-in shelf that I turned into my 'camera museum'. This is where I've put my old film cameras - they were mine over the years, with the exception of the Minolta - that was recently given to me by someone who didn't use it anymore, but it meant a lot to him and he wanted it put somewhere where it would be admired. You can see in the photo my old Spotmatic, my cherished K1000, an old Praktica my father game me, and a Zenit I found at a yard sale (the older gentleman selling it had such a love for photography I had to buy it).

Needless to say, this is where Heie's folder will be an honoured guest.

And for everyone's interest, I've already named the lens, which from now on will be known by it's full name, DA Heie-neken.

-Sean

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats!
07-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #189

Too much! Even though I didn't enter because this competition was a level or two above my current abilities, I followed it, and appreciate all that you have done for this community.

Thanks again.
07-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
There are still those whom were not satisfied with my execution of this giveaway, which was not only perplexing, but a frustration that I took personally. A couple even went so far as to send quite vitriolic pm's to me, or worse, messages posted publicly either in this thread or on the PF Facebook page.
I can't see what is perplexing about telling people their images and submissions are fine and then after stringing them along for a month after the contest closes turning around and telling them it's not fine. It's extremely perplexing. I can't possibly imagine what would make people upset about that scenario at all..It will forever remain a great unsolvable mystery.
07-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #191
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
By the way, in addition to producing great shots, you really do have a great way with words, as many of us have noted.
To be sure!
Many will say there is a power in pictures, or a power in words. And there is a power in confidence. Every time I view Heie's photography or read something that he has written I feel that power coming through. Just reading his words inscribed on the insert in the folder sent to the winner, skism, caused in me an avalanche of emotions, from joy to sadness to wistfulness all mixed together. Finally, there were two emotions that transcended all - gratitude for the service that Heie and others have given to their country, and hope for the future that young persons like Heie can yet make a difference in the world at large.

Jeff

Last edited by jamarley; 07-08-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: grammer corrections
07-11-2013, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #192
Veteran Member

This thread, and the contest that inspired it, have the been the best thing I've seen during my time on Pentax Forums.
07-21-2013, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #193

Heie's wonderful certificate in its place of honour. I'm looking forward to trying out 'DA Heieneken', the now named lens - especially in some rain and fog!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #194
Pentaxian

This image

would have been a good entry as well.

Funny how "Nikon Girls" wonder whether the camera is a Nikon.
08-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #195
Veteran Member

congratulations!