Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Winners: PP Challenge #91

Thanks to all who participated. This is the first challenge I've hosted and I had fun doing it.

Please remember the comments below are my own opinion. Others can and will disagree. Some of the entries were very similar and I had to look for minor differences. I enjoyed every one of the entries. It's really cool to see what others would do with your shots. I'm honored that you all took the time to work on it.

So here we go...

Patajac - You were the first one in and I really liked your vision. Although I found it a little to noisy, no noise at all wouldn't have looked right. Your rendition reminds me of pictures I've seen of the missions in books from the 50s and 60s.
J. Stanz - I like the lighting work you did but the overall magenta cast was very distracting to me. It looks like the greens got shifted somehow.
Wolfiegirl - I like what you tried to do, in fact I may try that composition in camera next time I go there. It's very hard to clone a brick wall though without the pattern showing. Your entry and Quimmings were close. I prefer the coloring and contrast in the bells on your shot.
Quimming - As you noticed, you and Wolfiegirl had similar entries. Even though I don't like the supports on the bell as much as I like them gone, I think it looks better without the cloning. Normally I would prefer the supports for the framing effect, but they are modern and throw the mood off to me. I am honored that you would choose my shot to work on as your first time entering.
Bill2849 - I like the warmth in your shot. Your crop is also subtle but balances the bells with the background well and brings the eyes right to the subject.
TenZ.NL - The contrast and color in your rendition to me make the picture pop. It also made those pesky bell supports look a little older.
todd - Your rendition fixed the part I didn't like the most about the original shot which as you've probably figured out by now is the bell supports. The extra detail made them match the rest of the shot much better. The only real problem I had was my fault. I didn't have the rocks in the foreground in focus and they just don't look right with the extra detail to me because of that.
dffj - Your shot looks kind of retro to me. It has a film look and could have been shot in the 70's. Whether you tried to or not you actually captured the lighting of a typical day from back then before we cleaned up our air. None of this is bad, I like it really. It was an unexpected rendition and I enjoyed it. Thanks for making one of your first posts an entry in this contest.
Vasyl - The crop you chose is one I wouldn't have even seen. My hat's off to you. I'm not a big fan of borders, but the picture within is very nice.

So with all that said, here's the top 3:

Second Runner Up
Patajac

If it wasn't for the noise, this may have been my favorite. It really captures the subject and the history behind it. I'll be trying this look on a few of the images I took that day.

First Runner Up
TenZ.NL

This is the closest rendition to what I saw when I snapped the shutter. It's very clean and sharp. It was also nice of you to send those people to lunch .

Winner
Vasyl

The processing of the picture was so well done on this that I ignored the border. The shot I took was a very straight forward commonly taken shot at the mission. You took it and made it art. I really wouldn't recognize this as one of my shots if I just came upon it. You've taken my shot and made it your own and that really impresses me. Congratulations on a job well done.

And that's it. The top three (and some of the others) had one thing in common. I learned something from them and I will be influenced by them for a long time. It's great to be able to see your material transformed by others into something you didn't even think of. I thank you all again and I look forward to participating in Vasyl's upcoming challenge.

03-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Post_eos -
Thanks for the interesting challenge, for your judging and for your comments. Congratulations to Vasyl and the runners-up and thanks to the other entrants for their ideas and hard work.
03-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thanks post post_eos for the challenge and congrats winners!
03-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post_eos, thank you very much for a fun and interesting challange. I really had a great time and even learned a trick or two
Vasyl, congrats onfirst place! Post_eos couldn`t have said it better, very nice job!

03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It was great challenge to participate in!
Post eos, thank you for giving such opportunity!
Your shot inspired me, as well as the work done by the other participants.
Thank you!
03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
To all,

Vasyl notified me that he can't host the next challenge. TenZ.NL has graciously agreed to host Challenge #92. I'm looking forward to see what is offered and participating!