Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
04-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #4698
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Ooh...a very handsome specimen indeed. What's the "fog" on the right, is that dust from the field being plowed? I see a tractor in one image..
That might be called "morning mist" or "ground fog." This was fairly early in the day, too early for the sun to burn it off. The setting is floodplain near the Connecticut River, Hadley, MA which was literally swept away by major flood of the river back in the 18th century (if memory and knowledge serve as to the date)*. This is prime farming land, what is sometimes called "river bottom land." Primary crops here are exceptional asparagus (all locals eagerly anticipate the first harvest) and also, not so admirable, high quality tobacco leaf used primarily for the outside wrapping of premium cigars (yuck!!!). The building visible in the distance to the right of the base of the tree is a tobacco barn.

* I won't list all the floods, but among the records I found were reports of floods in 1683, 1692 and 1801. The greatest floods were 1936 (prolonged rain) and 1938 (probably the worst hurricane to strike New England, about 700 killed). There was also a significant flood in 1955. An upstream dam has substantially reduced the risk of such events. Preventing floods also prevents natural renewal of the soil on the floodplain.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-21-2021 at 11:24 AM.
04-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #4699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Primary crops here are exceptional asparagus (all locals eagerly anticipate the first harvest)
Ah, thanks. Seemed odd to be only on the one side, but thinking about it, I see how that's possible. Of course we get "ground fog" here, too, at some times during the year, and it can be very localized.

BTW you may have my share of the world's asparagus

04-21-2021, 11:16 AM   #4700
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW you may have my share of the world's asparagus
We'll take it, We love asparagus. As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste. I dislike peanuts and especially peanut butter, although I can force my self to eat either. I cannot abide even the smell of tuna fish, but again, I have and can eat it if I must. I should add that most men like beer, but I am nauseated by the foul stench of it much less the taste, although in college, within a fraternity house for two years, I manage to drink it when to refuse might have elicited unpleasant consequences.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-21-2021 at 04:12 PM.
04-21-2021, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #4701
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Table under the pecans...
04-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #4702
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We'll take it, We love asparagus. As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste
Well, I understand that genetics accounts for some taste, which is not surprising. The only asparagus I care for is several of the species grown as ornamental plants...the comestible sort are --to my palate-- revolting. You are more than welcome to them! And of course you know that there are two kinds of people -- the ones who love cilantro and the ones (like me) who hate it. Something genetic in the taste buds there, for sure. Tastes like nasty soap to me, I know people who think it's delicious. <ick ick ick>

04-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #4703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I understand that genetics accounts for some taste, which is not surprising. The only asparagus I care for is several of the species grown as ornamental plants...the comestible sort are --to my palate-- revolting. You are more than welcome to them! And of course you know that there are two kinds of people -- the ones who love cilantro and the ones (like me) who hate it. Something genetic in the taste buds there, for sure. Tastes like nasty soap to me, I know people who think it's delicious. <ick ick ick>
There are more things determined or at least influenced by our genetics than the behaviorist school of psychology likes to admit. A fun thing, can you curl your tongue (= stick it out and curl it up at both sides)? There are curlers and non-curlers, determined by simple genetics. If you can't curl your tongue, you cannot learn to do it.
04-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #4704
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A fun thing, can you curl your tongue (= stick it out and curl it up at both sides)? There are curlers and non-curlers, determined by simple genetics. If you can't curl your tongue, you cannot learn to do it.
Yes, I can!
04-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #4705
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I can!
Then we have some genetics in common!
04-21-2021, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #4706
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
It's a saguaro, found in the Sonoran Desert region of Arizona. This one was along a trail around the aptly named Saguaro Lake east of Phoenix. The tallest recorded one was around 73 feet tall.

---------- Post added 04-20-21 at 08:54 AM ----------

Yep, and I believe it takes about 20 years before they start growing arms... I think.
This made me dig into my archives. Here is a Saguaro "Forest"!

Saguaro National Park
04-21-2021, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #4707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two versions of a tree in a local cemetery. I think the first image gives a better sense of its size.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
04-21-2021, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #4708
Veteran Member

A nice tree in the flinders ranges.
04-22-2021, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #4709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the many, many flowering trees & bushes that are putting on a grand display this Spring.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
04-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #4710
Pentaxian

Tabebuia caraiba, "yellow tab"
blooms beautifully