Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a tree-latrine?
04-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #3318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Took these action pics this afternoon - neighbor is excessively worried about getting hit by our trees here, so he hired a one man crew to take three big firs out. This was the last to go. K50 and 18-135WR combo, minimal PP in Irfanview.

Jim

Maybe I misunderstood. It sounds like you said your neighbor had three trees cut down on your property. How would that happen?
04-06-2019, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #3319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

barkless tree segments. probably felled for fear it might soon have fallen onto the adjacent road. It was definitely past its prime.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
04-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #3320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-06-2019, 08:48 AM   #3321
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Maybe I misunderstood. It sounds like you said your neighbor had three trees cut down on your property. How would that happen?
Ah, my bad. He's paranoid about the trees around our houses, including a couple on my side of the property line. The ones he actually had the guy cut down were on his side. I did allow them to trim a couple of limbs from one of my trees, and told him I'd have an arborist look at them sometime. There are a couple of mine he's all worried about.
04-06-2019, 10:19 AM - 6 Likes   #3322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Our friends across the street have a beautiful mature Horse Chestnut just inside their property boundary. Their new adjacent neighbour wants all the branches overhanging their property (almost half of the tree) lopped as they don't want chestnuts landing on their infant daughter's head and they think she will be poisoned if she tries to eat them. Luckily the City forestry department won't allow any further pruning.

Early birches and red osier dogwood look quite nice together.

04-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #3323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Ah, my bad. He's paranoid about the trees around our houses, including a couple on my side of the property line. The ones he actually had the guy cut down were on his side. I did allow them to trim a couple of limbs from one of my trees, and told him I'd have an arborist look at them sometime. There are a couple of mine he's all worried about.
There are tree species that are especially prone to breakage and dropping branches. There are species prone to becoming hollow and weak. Most other trees, if they aren't damaged or decayed, aren't going to fall over except in severe weather: ice storms, 100 mile per hour winds. I've seen buildings built in the 1800s surrounded by trees as old or older than them, sometimes as close as a couple of feet from the foundations! They didn't fall on the buildings yet. The trees in your picture look like they are in early adulthood. Unless they have some serious problem they are in no danger of falling over.

Has the neighbor ever thought about how your trees could be protecting his house from wind damage? Does he know the people plant trees for that very purpose?
04-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #3324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Our friends across the street have a beautiful mature Horse Chestnut just inside their property boundary. Their new adjacent neighbour wants all the branches overhanging their property (almost half of the tree) lopped as they don't want chestnuts landing on their infant daughter's head and they think she will be poisoned if she tries to eat them. Luckily the City forestry department won't allow any further pruning.
I like the osiers and birches!

Horse Chestnut were planted in a lot of residential neighborhoods for the beauty of the flowers. My wife loves to see them, since there were a lot in the town where she grew up. Same genus as the Ohio Buckeye, a state tree with a state in its name! I've only heard of kids wanting to collect Buckeye seeds, which look like the Horse-chestnut seeds. I never saw a kid try to eat them. In my day parents knew ways to keep kids from eating stuff they shouldn't: (1) they fed them proper human food, and (2), if they saw their kid trying to put a Buckeye seed in its mouth they said: "DON'T DO THAT!" I know, such a crazy idea, but it worked.

Do they really think a seed is going to hurt their kid from falling on its head? If they are that scared the kid is probably already wearing a helmet, no? Sorry, I'm having too much fun with this, but it is so silly. I think I had a Buckeye in my shoebox of lucky stuff I kept in my room for at least half of my childhood. Here's another idea--the parents could crack open the internet and teach their kid about Horse-Chestnut trees. This website says that children in Britain and Ireland used the seeds in a game they played:
Horse Chestnut Tree Pictures, Facts on the Horse Chestnut Tree Species
04-06-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #3325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the osiers and birches!

Horse Chestnut were planted in a lot of residential neighborhoods for the beauty of the flowers. My wife loves to see them, since there were a lot in the town where she grew up. Same genus as the Ohio Buckeye, a state tree with a state in its name! I've only heard of kids wanting to collect Buckeye seeds, which look like the Horse-chestnut seeds. I never saw a kid try to eat them. In my day parents knew ways to keep kids from eating stuff they shouldn't: (1) they fed them proper human food, and (2), if they saw their kid trying to put a Buckeye seed in its mouth they said: "DON'T DO THAT!" I know, such a crazy idea, but it worked.

Do they really think a seed is going to hurt their kid from falling on its head? If they are that scared the kid is probably already wearing a helmet, no? Sorry, I'm having too much fun with this, but it is so silly. I think I had a Buckeye in my shoebox of lucky stuff I kept in my room for at least half of my childhood. Here's another idea--the parents could crack open the internet and teach their kid about Horse-Chestnut trees. This website says that children in Britain and Ireland used the seeds in a game they played:
Horse Chestnut Tree Pictures, Facts on the Horse Chestnut Tree Species
The birch and osier spot is on Toronto Island - a short ferry ride from all the craziness of the City.

The folks across the street seem to be the ultimate helicopter parents whenever the kid is outside one of the parents is always within about 5 feet.

Yup - when was a kid in UK wedrilled chestnuts, hung them on a string and played "conkers": with our buddies, trying to smash their nuts with ours. We even dried them in the oven and soaked them in vinegar to get an advantage. We never thought of them as something to be afraid of.
04-06-2019, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #3326
Pentaxian

There are tree species that are especially prone to breakage and dropping branches. There are species prone to becoming hollow and weak. Most other trees, if they aren't damaged or decayed, aren't going to fall over except in severe weather: ice storms, 100 mile per hour winds. I've seen buildings built in the 1800s surrounded by trees as old or older than them, sometimes as close as a couple of feet from the foundations! They didn't fall on the buildings yet. The trees in your picture look like they are in early adulthood. Unless they have some serious problem they are in no danger of falling over.

Has the neighbor ever thought about how your trees could be protecting his house from wind damage? Does he know the people plant trees for that very purpose?
Neither he nor his wife are locals, so they don’t really know the tall local evergreens. He’s from South Africa and his wife’s from So Cal. Seems a tree hit a friends house so he is all worried about it. Douglas firs do have relatively shallow root systems and are somewhat vulnerable when soils are saturated and a windstorm hits. Local arborists will trim limbs and reduce the cross-section, a reasonable option, but he wanted them completely gone. <eye roll> Overreacting IMHO
04-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #3327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pin Oak leaf buds on the verge of opening.

Helios-44-2 f/2 58mm, wide open
Pentax K10D
04-07-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #3328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-07-2019, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #3329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Birch in the water

04-08-2019, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #3330