Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even that you said enough pouting for you...I'm sorry to hear that...I hope it will turn out good. Sincerelly.

I'd take it to my home insurance and blame cat, strong wind, flood from water pipes...now I mean about that DA15..

I have drop some lenses too, but have been lucky so far, it allways scares a bit thou.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Well this was a bad start. First I dropped the K20D with the DA 15. The 15 took a nik in the front element and unfortunately it is visible to the discerning eye. It shows up as a miss coloration resembling a very faint but quite large dust blob or smear. I have tested it with all my 3 K cameras and it is present in all of them. I will still be shooting with it though since it is correctable in software and only visible in say a blue sky. Then I noticed several dust blobs on the K5 from my examination of the DA 15. It would not go away with a simple air cleaning so I have ordered a wet cleaning kit. Scary stuff!

Enough pouting from me. Can't wait to see your shots this month!

04-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Come on you guys! stop liking my extras better than the shots I pick! LOL!

My Initial thoughts on the 15 are that it's one difficult focal length to satisfy on a daily basis. But now that we got @EarlVonTapia in the challenge I must say that I have a great source of inspiration. How you even get to shoot this stuff (ie. The 025 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) is beyond me
04-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
My Initial thoughts on the 15 are that it's one difficult focal length to satisfy on a daily basis.
I struggled with it too... I found the FoV so wide I had difficulty keeping the detritus of modern living out of the frame (power poles/wires / garbage cans / roadways etc) It made for a real struggle composing shots.

Then I started utilizing the close focussing capabilities of the lens and that went away. Playing with the perspective distortion is fun that way.

Have fun!
04-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh PS - Missed a day for travel... airplanes, driving in the middle of no where with no cell coverage or internet... so I'm already behind... YAYYY!

04-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I am participating J swear! I just need to sit in front of the computer for a few hours. I had a previous client order more prints on the only day I had to do some posting this week.

That being said, today looks to be terrible with the grey look of our city.... but I'm on the hunt.

I'm going to do some maternity photos tonight, but not with the len of choice... I still want to share then with you all though
04-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't believe I have not subscribed to this thread until now!
I'm loving the DA*55 so far; it's a very versatile lens.

Just a minor point of order: the daily threads are for photos, not comments. The latter should be made where the photo is hosted, or here. I still consider myself too new in this family to play the moderator, but it's getting out of hand....
04-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that jackassp claims to be having so much trouble with PF with his DA*55.
Maybe I've been lucky so far; I'll try to find some high-contrast subjects in the next few days to work out whether it is his copy, or a class effect.

04-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Interesting that jackassp claims to be having so much trouble with PF with his DA*55.
Maybe I've been lucky so far; I'll try to find some high-contrast subjects in the next few days to work out whether it is his copy, or a class effect.
Here's todays shot, run through LR with default processing (ie minimal). Seething cess pool of PF might be an understatement?

PF is pretty bad don't you think.
04-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Seething cess pool of PF might be an understatement? PF is pretty bad don't you think.
Yep. Pretty bad. Pixel peeping hurt my eyes.
04-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't disappeared, just doing film only. Had expected first shots back last week but hold up at film processors. Nearly finished the next roll. Had a play with the M20/4 today on the film camera. Never used such a wide FOV lens before. Certainly can fit a lot in. Next APS-C LBA purchase may well be an UWA. Will post one or two M20 images here away from the daily threads once the film is back.
04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Here's todays shot, run through LR with default processing (ie minimal). Seething cess pool of PF might be an understatement?

PF is pretty bad don't you think.
there is some nasty PF without even zooming in on this one. Just around the star burst reflections on the chrome I find most prevalent. Funny, I never noticed this with my DA*55 either, but never tried this specific scenario. My DA*50-135 does get some nasty PF sometimes in incredibly bright light without the hood on... but I've never shot with the hood on the DA*55 and I dont' recall having your issues... I hope it's just the copy. I know I went through four copies of the DA*55 before I found one that would goto infinity focus.

Last edited by Wired; 04-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.
04-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #42
Pentaxian

You know that this lens is quite nice even stopped down @ 2.8 still some nice Dof and Oof and less PF. I have had some nasty PF too with mine, but fast lenses like this does have it in scenarios like this. Don't really know if CPL would help? I love my DA*55...
04-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, have posted Days 1 and 2 to the film thread. Not happy with the film scans from a city camera shop, but it's all I've got to work with, not owning a scanner. The M28-50/3.5-4.5 impressed me on the K-x, but its tremendous colours aren't as evident on film, at least as it's been scanned. Will finish the next roll tomorrow, might try a different processor.

Oh, and where's the EXIF data stored on film I've never going to remember the settings I used from shot to shot, and really can't be bothered with a notebook.

Last edited by southlander; 04-08-2013 at 07:11 AM.
04-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are welcome to use my scanner any day Clive.
04-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You are welcome to use my scanner any day Clive.
Thx. Some of the family are away early next week, I might just do that.