Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Wow, really really surprised no one else has posted anything on this thread.
Donīt worry, please keepīem coming.
I sent a contact sheet to print to see how I am doing. I hope to post some of my own soon.

PS: Calibrate monitor, calibrate imaging software / viewer, calibrate printer, edit for paper / LCD, sharpen for different kind of paper... what a messsssssss

06-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Another gallery piece, part of a very limited set. This particular piece will be on display at the Patuxent Research Refuge [U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service] along with others from the set in the next couple of months...

06-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@joe.penn, Iīve been enjoying your the work you posted.
I have just printed my very first digital copies and need to frame them. Given your expertise, Iīd like to ask for your advice or some suggestions, or anyone else that wnats to share some thoughts.
I donīt have a budget for this so Iīll stick to easy to work with and cheap materials. Do I need glass in front? what colour should I use for the the area surrounding the picture? For example, I think the white "frame" (donīt know how to call this) works for the cat and moon shot.

Here are the original image if anyone want to take a look.
Primer tanda de Copias - a set on Flickr

Thanks in advance,
Francisco
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@carrrlangas - thanks for sharing!

For me, I never pick out framing or matting options, my framer actually does that for me, I pretty much hand him the print and he works his mojo. I know he tries to use tones in the frame and matte colors that blend with the picture itself without overpowering the picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Do I need glass in front?
If those are paper prints, then I would have glass or plexi-glass used in the framing.

06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

To go along with the theme of this thread, I hope it won't hurt to talk some about matting and framing options. The people you have doing that for your prints Joe do an amazing job! But, for me just starting out with printing and displaying my images for personal use and family at this point, I need to find an economical way to display my prints.

First off, I feel that if a print is going to be framed, it needs to be matted. This can be of some expense right there, but I've found a place to order online for a decent price if you buy in bulk (50 or more at a time) for pre-cut mats:

Golden State Art

That is as far as I've made it in this research - I next need to look at frames. Personally I don't like many of the pre-made frames I've seen. I am hoping to find a custom solution for frames like Joe has. My in-laws live in a large Amish community where there are many excellent craftsmen. I am hoping to be able to take a matted print to one of the wood workers and have them make a frame for a reasonable price.

Since I don't have access to any kind of frame shop that I can go to, the above setup is the only way to do this for myself. I'd like to hear what other folks do for displaying their prints.
06-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
To go along with the theme of this thread, I hope it won't hurt to talk some about matting and framing options. The people you have doing that for your prints Joe do an amazing job! But, for me just starting out with printing and displaying my images for personal use and family at this point, I need to find an economical way to display my prints.

First off, I feel that if a print is going to be framed, it needs to be matted. This can be of some expense right there, but I've found a place to order online for a decent price if you buy in bulk (50 or more at a time) for pre-cut mats:

Golden State Art

That is as far as I've made it in this research - I next need to look at frames. Personally I don't like many of the pre-made frames I've seen. I am hoping to find a custom solution for frames like Joe has. My in-laws live in a large Amish community where there are many excellent craftsmen. I am hoping to be able to take a matted print to one of the wood workers and have them make a frame for a reasonable price.

Since I don't have access to any kind of frame shop that I can go to, the above setup is the only way to do this for myself. I'd like to hear what other folks do for displaying their prints.
A lot of friends that do a lot of photos use this: Mat Board Wholesale Pre-Cut Picture Mats, Pre Cut Matting, Frame Sets - the real costly decision will be whether you'll be printing 4:3 or 3:2 - one will be more than the other
07-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Wow, really really surprised no one else has posted anything on this thread. Here is another, just noticed that I haven't signed this one yet so need to get back to the gallery and sign it.
Joe - silly question - what do you use to do the signing?

07-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Joe - silly question - what do you use to do the signing?
Amazon.com: Prismacolor Premier Chisel Tip Markers, 8 Colored Markers: Office Products

Prismacolor markers - acid free, lightfast tested, archival approved. These are essentially what most artists use to sign pieces these days...

Edit: just notice the link is for the chiseltip ones, there are other tip types also.