Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in July 2013

I think I have started a thread for Single in July discussion. It didn't display exactly as I'd hoped (some of this Forum coding is still a challenge in itself for me), but I think it will serve its purpose.

There's also a new thread in the usual place to post July 1 pictures.

Last edited by OzzRod; 06-28-2013 at 03:50 AM.
06-28-2013, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Single in July 2013

I think I have started a thread for Single in July discussion. It didn't display exactly as I'd hoped (some of this Forum coding is still a challenge in itself for me), but I think it will serve it's purpose.

There's also a new thread in the usual place to post July 1 pictures.
Thanks Rod. I think I can make July now.

Update on my K5, a close look inside the memory card slot revealed that the small "lock tab" from an SD card had come adrift and stayed behind in the slot, preventing a "metal contact" from contacting the card. I managed to remove it, but the SD slot still isn't 100%, but it does work most of the time. SO I now leave the card in the slot all the time, and connect the camera to the Mac via USB.

Also...
- I change practice location in 5 weeks time, and this is taking a lot of my time, but I'm confident I can tackle July.
- Our floor repairs are complete, and we have been busy painting the skirting boards and trim before the new flooring gets laid. Ouch, my aching back and shoulders...
- Makita replaced all my failed power tools, and threw in an impact driver (what a tool!). Bruce, did you have one of these when you did your decking?

See you all in July.

Last edited by Bramela; 06-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I went to my doctor today and he has scheduled a cat scan as he said I shouldn't be losing weight this fast. In two months I've lost 29lbs.
Wow. Hang in there Mar and see you in July!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
my eye operation appears to have been rather successful.
Great news Bruce!

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
but it does work most of the time. SO I now leave the card in the slot all the time, and connect the camera to the Mac via USB.
Great news Jack! Good job keeping at it.
06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Makita replaced all my failed power tools, and threw in an impact driver (what a tool!). Bruce, did you have one of these when you did your decking?
No Jack, didn't have one of them, just 18v drill (X2). Maybe I should check one out. Mine are not Makita but AEG.

06-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #125
Pentaxian

Hello guys!

I'm little embarrased of my shooting and my actions at here latelly. I have been between two fires, want, and need of holidays(I'm on one right now.) and still doing some stuff, needs to be done...and trying to keep up at here. I have been shooting, but with so little time to do it, it has lost it's shine a bit. I'll do it for rest of the month(tomorrow is a big day I have been waiting for shootin, old cars show) And I try to comment, but sorry about it. I'll pass next month. and Will be back at August. Maybe I'll be at here, if I get that GR by beginnig of next month(no GR in stock by now.)...but won't promise a thing. Have fun you guys, I wish I would have more time...
06-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aurora alert! Earth is experiencing a severe electromagnetic storm NOW. It's night time for many of our northern hemisphere friends (with varying degrees of discomfort) but in the US the Aurora Borealis is visible right down in Kansas. Cameras primed??
06-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool! I remember seeing the Aurora Australis from my backyard in suburban Adelaide when I was a lad. It was a very rare event indeed.

06-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Aurora alert! Earth is experiencing a severe electromagnetic storm NOW. It's night time for many of our northern hemisphere friends (with varying degrees of discomfort) but in the US the Aurora Borealis is visible right down in Kansas. Cameras primed??
That would have been good to know if I was still in Thunder Bay... 10 min drive and truly in the wilderness there. Too Bad Southern Ontario is socked in.
06-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #129
Veteran Member

got my film back....

I need to get my eyes checked.

nothing to see here. sorry
06-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well thankfully June is over.
FA43 is a great lens, but thoroughly predictable, and takes all of the challenge out of photography. It is just excellent in almost every situation.
Sharp, even wide open, with excellent contrast, and vibrant, but neutral colour rendition, and bokeh is usually good. Just what you expect from a Limited lens. If they ever re-do the coatings for a digital FF camera, the result would be phenomenal. The DA40 limited (an excellent lens in its own right) pales in comparison!

Congrats all on finishing.
Sorry I got very busy and couldn't comment on all of your excellent photos.
06-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
nothing to see here. sorry
I understand that feeling.. Bummer. Revisit the shots after a while maybe?

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Well thankfully June is over.
I am thankful too. I spent the day today hiding in from a nasty heat wave so another missed day from me. Everybody here knows the 15 so I'll just say it was a tough lens for me to try to keep up with. At the start I had hopes to get into a groove with it but that proved just a dream as I couldn't raise my level of commitment to get out and find subjects in worthy conditions. I had it in mind to get down to the coast once or twice at least but that never happened. I enjoyed the challenge though and will keep plugging away with it as much as I can make possible.

I've enjoyed everybody's contributions this month and looking forward to a fresh start in July.
06-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I understand that feeling.. Bummer. Revisit the shots after a while maybe?
I'm gonna have to yes. Probably revisit them on my K5 with FA43 mounted instead. The only roll I've developed (the Kodak Portra 160 roll) had major light leak issues for the first half. the second half wasn't bad, and I got a couple of decent shots there. Need to find them... I lost them somewhere on my hard drive. But they are in print so I can/will just scan them. I don't know how the light leak only affects the first 12 shots...but I'm glad the last half is okay. maybe just a bad roll or a bad tech?

As for the 43? I've had it for a while and I love it. It's been my goto lens right after the 77. But unfortunately since I grabbed my D800 my K5 hasn't even been powered on since the 21. I'll change that right away as I don't like lugging the D800 around on the street...especially with the bright "D800" printed in yellow on the strap. makes me feel like a mugging target.

Baby is due in a couple of weeks. So there is almost no way I'll be participating in July. I'll still stop by and say hi and view some photos though. Lovely work as always in these challenges. I'll be sure to come and post picture of the new baby when I get to meet him.
06-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA 43mm Limited June was my first proper outing with this lens so I had lots to learn but I have no regrets about buying it. It did everything I hoped for and then some, delivering me more faves this month than any before. I love its sharpness, even at f1.9 and I think I finally came to grips with using it wide open often, just to exploit the luscious bokeh. Closeups and macros in particular are a delight. Flare was not an issue; colours were great. There was a hint of distortion in a couple of landscapes that I need to explore further. Overall though, a joy to use.
06-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*50-135 has been good to me this month. I can not confirm Jack's dislike (I think he even said hate) of this lens.

It's a bit much to carry around as a daily lens, but it is much smaller and lighter than my Sigma 70-200 and the image quality is stellar by comparison: sharp from f/2.8 at all focal lengths, and downright scary from f/5.6. Sure, the focus is not super-quick, but it almost never missed its mark. The weather resistance certainly came in handy on a few occasions.

One of its most impressive features to me was its almost complete lack of colour fringing on contrasty situations. I quite deliberately took a few of my daily shots against the sky to try to elicit this, and failed miserably. The bokeh is almost always delightful as well.

On the downside, there is still a nagging doubt about the SDM. A couple of times this month it needed "waking up" before it came out to play, but once warmed up it didn't miss a beat. I wish I had kept my K10D so I had the option of nobbling it back to screw-drive for complete peace of mind.
06-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #135
Veteran Member

I'm glad you liked the 50-135 sandy. It is by far my favourite Pentax lens after the FA 77.