Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Gday Grant,
Good thread idea. I really like your BMW R1200GS and actually went looking at Procycles St Peters. Even the low seat option I would need KISS boots to ride it. I like the Trumpy Tiger as well.
After the KX80 F1 big wheel, I started onroad on the mighty CB250N superhawk and kept blowing gasket seals. Dad made me sell it. I saved up for a 2nd hand CBR600F, which was nice. Sold that and got a 85' GSXR 750. Sold that and got another one because I missed it. Mid 90's I lost my license and let the bikes laps for a awhile. In 1999, I purchased the 99' Fireblade and have owned it ever since and 12 points touchwood.
I live in Sydney and ride down to the South Coast of NSW as often as I can fishing. I doubled a mate recently on a trip to Narooma, Tahtra, Bermagui and Moruya, heaps of gear, 4 rods, tankbags, backpacks etc.
Getting a bit old for the sheer sports riding now but I don't want to loose my speed touring power for long trips. But beleive it or not, I have been taking my blade more and more offroad and up dirt tracks, grass hills etc. That is why I like the Tiger and your GS.
I wish my legs were longer...

Regards
Peter

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   

Last edited by hooppjs; 03-12-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: pics too big
03-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
G'day Peter,
The Fireblade is a legendary machine....but off road? Just goes to show if your careful you can actually take anything off road.

I had a "bitsa" some 35yrs back: Your not gonna believe this: Matchless frame, cut & extended 4 inches, Harley 750 V Twin, Norton gear box, Triumph tank, extended front forks, tuned exhausts.....sort of a chopper style. It was an interesting beast to ride and I often rode it on a loose/floating gravel road, never went down the road, but at times it was white knuckles and heart in mouth stuff!!

Have you had a look at the Suzuki V Strom? Very nice dual purpose bike, and I think the seat height is lower. And I hear Honda is bringing back the Transalp.
Cheers
Grant
03-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I present to you ...... true love. Sexy, passionate, and very energetic. She waits for me to come home each and every sunny day. Responds to my touch with a perfect purr. Highway speed in 1st gear, she is a nasty cat. I named her Black Beauty (after the Green Hornet's famous car). Suit up in Joe Rocket gear, the adventure begins

What a great idea for a thread!
03-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Umm. Have you considered the possibility you may be getting a little too intimate with your ride, Spyglass?

stewart

03-16-2008, 01:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Don't knock it till you ride it

I think that riding a bike is very intimate, there is a connect between man and machine. It offers a freedom and excitement that is impossible to explain to non riders. Like ships, men often refer to their beloved vessels, or toys, in the feminine. My script was intended more to entertain than put my sanity in question - lol. (but I do refer to my bike as Black Beauty, and my pulse does speed up when I stand beside the bike........)
03-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Me and my Triumph Trophy (1200) in the Pyrenees, Spain in 2006
Had this bike for seven years now, and I can't see me changing it any time soon, it does it all

Serendipity (Mick)
03-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Very nice Mick. Certainly can't fault the Trumpy's.
That looked to be some interesting road in the background too.
Grant

03-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote

Don't knock it till you ride it
I think that riding a bike is very intimate, there is a connect between man and machine. It offers a freedom and excitement that is impossible to explain to non riders. Like ships, men often refer to their beloved vessels, or toys, in the feminine. My script was intended more to entertain than put my sanity in question - lol. (but I do refer to my bike as Black Beauty, and my pulse does speed up when I stand beside the bike........)

Of course, I was only joking, not questioning your sanity, Spyglass. Regardless, in response, since I've already posted images elsewhere in the thread with various bikes, I obviously can't be defined as a non-rider. Therefore, the "till you ride it" part of your recommendation must be referring to your particular bike and the "don't knock it" part must be referring to the intimacy. Of course, I haven't ridden your bike. The closest I've come to that (a straight performance oriented machine) was the Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R turbo and the Z1300 (owned by friends), both in the late 70's and neither a match for the ZZ-R1100 series. However, I have ridden a number of bikes which I really liked, but none to the point of developing that level of intimacy with the machine. In fact, I can't imagine myself that intimate with a bike. But, to each their own, so I'm certainly not knocking it - just having a little fun with it.

stewart
03-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by serendipity Quote
Me and my Triumph Trophy (1200) in the Pyrenees, Spain in 2006
Had this bike for seven years now, and I can't see me changing it any time soon, it does it all

Oh, I like that, Mick. Both the Triumph and the Pyrenees. I bet the bike was a joy to ride on the relatively uncrowded, twisty, roads found there.

stewart
03-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hey Stewart Photo,

I know that you were only joking, and I did not intend to suggest that you were a non rider. My post was more directed at a larger audience that may wonder why such a tread was even started. I must admit that for some, myself included, bikes can be very addicting. I take a week off each year and head out on a big ride with a couple of friends (generally logging 700 - 1000km per day). I have even left my house, driven clear across BC to Alberta, stayed a day with my brother, and ridden home a day later - 1000km each way. Last September I rode from BC to Calgary, met up with my brother and his friend, then across Montana ending up in South Dakota, then West across Wyoming to the Idaho border, back to Calgary, and then home to BC in 7 days (6,700km). I saw Custer's Last Stand at the Little Big Horn, had lunch at the infamous bike renowned town of Sturgess, took in Mount Rushmore, saw Old Faithful and Yellow Stone Park, etc. When you are in the saddle that many hours you become intimate, whether you want to or not (and walk with a limp). It is more a case of the bike breaking you in than the other way around. I am very fortunate to live in a corner of the world that has so many great roads, and offers so many adventures. I just have to rig a camera up to my bike and capture some of the memories.

It is all good.
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I finally got out to take a shot of my bike to post up here. It's an '81 xv750 Yamaha Virago that my wife bought for me when we were in college in the early '90's. My other bike is a '65 Honda CB160. I'll have to drag that one out too and get a shot of it. But I think I'll go for a ride now!

03-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I finally got out to take a shot of my bike to post up here. It's an '81 xv750 Yamaha Virago that my wife bought for me when we were in college in the early '90's. My other bike is a '65 Honda CB160. I'll have to drag that one out too and get a shot of it. But I think I'll go for a ride now!

Fred mate,
Where's the pic of the '65 Honda CB160'? I would like to see that buddy.
I also have a Blue 90cc Honda post bike with a white fairing. It lives down south for simple missions like, getting milk, smokes, papers and of course being silly doing toe drag wheelies at age 40. Madness

Peter
03-28-2008, 03:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sadly, I only live with the passion and desire. I cannot afford a motorbike.
03-28-2008, 04:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
G'day Peter,
The Fireblade is a legendary machine....but off road? Just goes to show if your careful you can actually take anything off road.

I had a "bitsa" some 35yrs back: Your not gonna believe this: Matchless frame, cut & extended 4 inches, Harley 750 V Twin, Norton gear box, Triumph tank, extended front forks, tuned exhausts.....sort of a chopper style. It was an interesting beast to ride and I often rode it on a loose/floating gravel road, never went down the road, but at times it was white knuckles and heart in mouth stuff!!

Have you had a look at the Suzuki V Strom? Very nice dual purpose bike, and I think the seat height is lower. And I hear Honda is bringing back the Transalp.
Cheers
Grant
Grant, the "bitsa" sounds tops and I am glad you are here conversing with me.
My other passion is everything radio control, this case: bikes. Even though they are 1/5 scale, nitro .12's or electric, they accelerate harder than a NSW election promise.
They were taken with my trusty backup p/s camera some time ago, except for the action shot. That belongs to a racer: scaulfi from Brisbane.

Please enjoy
Peter

PS - I URGE riders to take a look at the skill to control one of these bikes: from Tipsy_WA
RC Bike Video TT FM1e - RC Groups
Attached Images

Last edited by hooppjs; 03-28-2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: more info
03-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hooppjs Quote
Fred mate,
Where's the pic of the '65 Honda CB160'? I would like to see that buddy.
I also have a Blue 90cc Honda post bike with a white fairing. It lives down south for simple missions like, getting milk, smokes, papers and of course being silly doing toe drag wheelies at age 40. Madness

Peter
I havn't forgotten! I've been working way to much lately, and it started snowing today. I'll see if it works out for this weekend.

Those little old Honda's are a kick for sure. It's been carting me around reliably and economically for many years. Mine doesn't even smoke, but it does have a leak or two.