Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You & Your Motorbike.

It appears that we have a number of motorcyclists on the forum.

So, lets see your bikes, past and present.

I started my two wheeled career as a teenager (not sure I even had a licence) when my father bought a 125cc Suzuki farm bike, in Adelaide, Sth Australia, some 100 miles from our farm, whacked a helmet on my head and said "ride it home". . So away I went, on my first outing on a motorbike, in Friday peak hour city traffic.

An experience to say the least, but I'm here to talk about it. I have ridden ever since. ( I'm 56 now).

In recent times I have had an Aprilia Pegaso 650 (the red one) and now a BMW R1200GS.

Cheers
Grant

PS: Photos not Pentax, 4mpx P&S.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 05-22-2008 at 03:48 AM.
03-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice airhead Grant Here's my ride, a lowly old sportster(worked up a wee bit ) My first ride was a yamaha r5 2-stroker, I got creamed by a 87 year old guy in '83 and it messed me up pretty good and I didn't have the money for another bike for a while until I got this one.

I always look for a reason to post a nice action shot

03-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Borno,
Like the first shot for its unusual setting....a cruiser amongst grain silos and on dirt.....not something you normally see.
But...love that second shot ( a bit of a tight line perhaps ...depending on the speed...of course) but the effect is great.

I have been lucky, other than coming off on dirt and in paddocks/fields I haven't had too many mishaps (touch wood), the closest thing to disaster was being pushed out into the middle of the road by a semi, with my wife on the back of the Aprilia, realising that we were about to do a very good imitation of a couple of bugs on the windshields of oncoming traffic, I asked the Aprilia for everything it had to get past the semi.

Well, a 650, two up and luggage to match....doesnt have much left for those situations, so throttled off, held my line in the middle of the road and got back in behind the semi. Got back home and traded it on the BMW....you just can not beat horsepower when you are in a tight situation.
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to ride an '83 Suzuki GS450:

Now I'm traveling all over the place for work and had to take it off the road...sigh...

03-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Stopped for gas in Edson after an eventful ride through a snow storm between Hinton and there.

--
dbh - brrr
03-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the only shot I have of my old '73 R75/5 on this hard drive. Sold it to a guy from Chicago before I could finish it.

Last edited by lost; 03-15-2008 at 11:48 AM.
03-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Learned on a Honda 360 that was a wreck but got me through the drivers test. The first bike was a Kawasaki 440 and quickly realized it wasn't much for the highway. Then bought a Kawasaki CSR650. That met an untimely demise several years later when a lady made a left hand turn off a secondary road. I survived that one but the the bike was gone. The last bike was the following Old BSA Lighting (650 upright twin). Fun bike but with the price of oil I'm glad I sold it a few years ago. This thing was a leaker!

Might get another some day, most likely a Goldwing but with me driving 120,000Kms a year for work, I don't like driving much for pleasure.

Name:  Lighting.JPG
Views: 2242
Size:  82.1 KB

03-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Powered by bananas, this bike is the ultimate in clean and green. It gets up the steepest of hills, through the muddiest of paths and glides through water. Its light, and so is convenient to throw on your back when on tricky terrain, its small, so you can fit it on a train (if travelling long distance). It requires little maintenence, you an go places you cant with a motor (i cycled around the edge of my local lake last week), take it up to the highest peak and enjoy the ride back down, and all it costs is some chain oil and lots of bananas (and maybe a few spare tyres and inner tubes)

03-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peter Zack, I had a Kaw 440 as well. The cool thing about the 440 was that it would handle "fairly" well on the trails too (for a street bike that is). I got run off the road on that one once. Ended up wrecking it one night when I missed a turn. Was really glad for helmet laws when I saw the scratches across the face and forehead of the helmet afterward.
03-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm not riding a motorcycle today, but did have a BMW R100RT years ago. I purchased that BMW right after selling my first bike, a Kawasaki 650. The Kawasaki was ridden cross-country, from Tacoma WA to Charlestown SC, in the middle of the Winter (December, complete with snow and ice through several mountain passes, a flood in Arizona, a sandstorm in Texas, two speeding tickets, and more) before being shipped to Germany to join me on my first visit here. A year later, I sold that Kawasaki and purchased the BMW (good currency exchange rate at the time). After riding the BMW for several years, I sold it and stopped riding motorcycles altogether.

However, just under two years ago, I purchased a Peugeot Satelis scooter (125ccm turbo) as a quick and easy way to get around town. I sold that last month and ordered a non-turbo version of the same scooter, which hopefully will be delivered in the next week or so. With top speeds approaching 70-75mph, these maxi-scooters are more than enough for me today. They're also perfect for exploring the area in the hunt for photographs.

If the new scooter arrives before this thread goes cold, I'll try to post a couple of pictures. In the meantime, I'll post some old photos of the Kawasaki and BMW. These photos are over twenty years old, and only quickly scanned for this thread, so please pardon their very poor condition. The colors are mostly gone, for example. The Kawasaki was a deep blue and the BMW a candy red fading into a very dark red along the edges.

By the way, the Kawasaki images (during the cross-country trip mentioned above) were taken with a Pentax SP-500 camera and the BMW images (in Germany) were taken with a Pentax Auto-110 camera. And, yes, that is indeed me and my wife in those images.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-20-2008 at 05:14 PM.
03-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

By the way, here is an image, taken by Peugeot France, of the new scooter I'm buying. My travel trunk will be a little larger, and the image does not show the radio, GPS, and other accessories ordered. The windshield shown is also taller than the sportier version I ordered.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-20-2008 at 05:14 PM.
03-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My current ride - 2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S - My high speed touring bike.

Me and The Yellow Flash in central Mexico

Action shot, near Tioga Pass, Yosemite, CA

Near Point Reyes, CA

I have been on quite a few long distance rides in the western US and Mexico, my ride reports are on my website at Motorcycle Trip Reports and Photography by Frank Mercer

Last edited by xs400; 08-23-2009 at 08:53 PM.
03-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DBH...??? mate, I'm speechless! What did you look like??!!

Riding in conditions like that is something beyond my imagination.

The contributions are great, please keep them coming.
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Powered by bananas, this bike is the ultimate in clean and green. It gets up the steepest of hills, through the muddiest of paths and glides through water. Its light, and so is convenient to throw on your back when on tricky terrain, its small, so you can fit it on a train (if travelling long distance). It requires little maintenence, you an go places you cant with a motor (i cycled around the edge of my local lake last week), take it up to the highest peak and enjoy the ride back down, and all it costs is some chain oil and lots of bananas (and maybe a few spare tyres and inner tubes)

All true Tom.....but my pillion passenger doesn't think much of it!!! AND you don't get the fun of talking to policemen and women...as they write you out one of their little tickets.

03-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
DBH...??? mate, I'm speechless! What did you look like??!!

Riding in conditions like that is something beyond my imagination.

The contributions are great, please keep them coming.
My legs had a layer of ice on the front. When I moved them the ice broke off and flew up. I had been riding in a 6" wide rut behind a small truck for most of an hr, hoping I didn't go down.

One of the more stupid things I've done over the years I suppose.

Here's one from a nicer ride on the California coast:

--
dbh - got loads of biking photos around here somewhere

PS: To go with the west coast pic I found one from the furthest east I've been, Race Point, Cape Cod, MA
Sunset after riding down from Montreal through Vermont getting soaked pretty much the whole way:

Last edited by dbh; 03-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.