Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in July 2013

Single in July 2013

Welcome everyone to this month’s Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game:

To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month – that’s why it’s called a challenge! (You can take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. You can take pictures with other lenses too, but these shots aren’t eligible to be posted to the challenge).

Posting your picture each day allows other participants to comment on your photograph; conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy - it’s a very friendly group and even though membership changes a bit from month to month, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards:

It’s great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember). You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their own selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. And in the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing.

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - you’ll find it on
(Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread and you’ll probably want to subscribe to it to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. After a few days you’ll be an expert. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

06-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm definitely returning with my WG3-GPS. B&H kindly replaced my first copy without equivocation (sensor spots) and I thought the Singles Challenge was a good way to test it out. I'll be travelling interstate again for part of the month so my posts and comments may fall behind occasionally, but I'll see the month through.

Good news from Bramela - hoping to see you back on deck during July Bruce.
06-28-2013, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm back.
K5 is limping a little.

My lens for the month is either the Sigma EX DG HSM 24-70mm f2.8, or the Sigma EX DG HSM 85mm f1.4. I have used both before, they were both spectacular, and I think I am a better photographer now, so am a little excited.
I only wish I had a K-3 FF DSLR to try them both on...

Help me choose please.

John.
06-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote

My lens for the month is either the Sigma EX DG HSM 24-70mm f2.8, or the Sigma EX DG HSM 85mm f1.4. Help me choose please. John.
I still clearly recall many outstanding shots with your 85mm. The 24-70 doesn't spring to mind - perhaps you featured that one before I joined - so I'll gently nudge you towards that one

06-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I'll be in, although the first part of the month I will be behind in posting. I have tried it with my iPad but it isn't easy. I will be away just north of Calgary (2 provinces west of where I am) for a week. As for a lens, I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm Macro lens that I picked up at the beginning of the month and I'd like to try that one. Since I have to work harder with it, I haven't done much with it, but I think a single in challenge is what I need to stop being afraid of using it.
06-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am *in with Dominik/Willdmo's Industar 50mm. Haven't even put it on the camera yet so it's going to be an adventure. I may end up running it on my K100D for the month because of the effort that is required with the M42 adapter sometimes. I'll start with it on the K5 though and see how it goes.

*In the best I can be, which as you guys might have noticed isn't always every day. I make my apologies in advance, as every day shooting with the same lens is a goal I haven't been able to achieve for a whole month yet. May July be the month!

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Sigma EX DG HSM 85mm f1.4
Yes please!

P.S. I am rounding the bend toward an FA77 purchase, so hopefully that will be my August lens..

Last edited by todd; 06-28-2013 at 10:55 AM.
06-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit dissapointed in the Coursera course, so I may join you all after all - I know I'm a bum for not commenting like I should but I really dont know where all my free time has gone - I'm exhausted at the end of the day trying to keep up with the boys and my usual stay on line to wee hours of the night hasn't been happening. I'm thinking on selling Q +01 because I dont have time for all these different cameras (film included) so maybe I give that little guy a shot for July? I dont know, we'll see, I'm going to part with a few items to improve the credit balance - I'll let the FA 50, Q +01, and Authentic Q to K lens adapter and tripod foot go... Maybe even the K300/4 Prudence demands I have cash on hand in September .

06-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
A bit dissapointed in the Coursera course
Why is that? (Just curious) We're of course glad to have you back.
Prudence demands I have cash on hand in September
And what is your wager will be manifesting for your cash at that time? Next gen APS-C?
06-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
manifesting for your cash at that time?
There is a lot of winking and nudging going on - I spoke with a Pentax Major Account rep a few weeks ago and discussed K-50 high level but he alluded that the next time he did an event at the particular location Sigma should bring their PK mount FF glass. We were talking of the Artistic series lenses from Sigma, and other things.

Re: Coursera
There is some 30,000 students in the program, and the instructor/facilitator continues to spam us with "official responses" to the 2% who are bitching about him... It did lead me to some good reference materials and I will stay registered to watch the sessions but I'll not put the effort in I was planning to. You cannot replace real education.
06-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. Thought I had been paying a decent amount of attention to the FF threads but hadn't noticed you mention this before. All the same I'm pretty confident about getting my remaining favorite lens (77) now because even if I didn't it would be a long time before I will be able to pay whatever price they may tag on the new FF body.

Re: Coursera - sheesh. Reminds me of that recent thread about the contest where the judges were all too stuck on themselves to actually do any actual judging.
06-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
hadn't noticed you mention this before
I have not - I don't actually know anything
06-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not - I don't actually know anything
ah yes, but you could have a great deal of fun passing around the rumor weed.
06-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I'll be in, although the first part of the month I will be behind in posting. I have tried it with my iPad but it isn't easy. I will be away just north of Calgary (2 provinces west of where I am) for a week. As for a lens, I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm Macro lens that I picked up at the beginning of the month and I'd like to try that one. Since I have to work harder with it, I haven't done much with it, but I think a single in challenge is what I need to stop being afraid of using it.
Sounds good Stevi.
06-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
..... so I may join you all after all
Hope so Matt.
06-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was going to wait until I got the new camera but I'm feeling much better after getting outside today and taking 44 photos. So, count me in for this month. I will be using my M50 f2 with closeups. I bought a step up ring to fit the 49mm filter size on the 50mm, my closeups are 55mm. Hope it works okay. I may not be able to get a photo every day but I'll sure try.

Typing is still a chore for me, so I will comment when my left hand isn't shaking and skating across the keyboard. Let it be known, I will look at your photos, always.