Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Review time:

I enjoyed shooting with the DA*16-50. It is capable of some stunning shots (it got me 3 explores for the month), but most of all it is a reliable "point and shoot" lens, and it made me lose my enthusiasm for the month.
Dare I say it is an "uninspiring" lens to use, shots just turn out nice without much work. Some might say this is a good thing.

I don't think I will use any more zoom lenses in future challenges. Right now I need the challenge of a Pentax manual focus and manual exposure prime lens.

To Aapo, my thoughts and prayers are with you during your time of need, please look after yourself and your family.

08-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Review time:
This was my first time doing this challenge with you, It was really good, I enjoyed a lot, and one thing that I wanted before was the courage to carry my camera always and this challenge forced me to do so, and it wasn't that hard at all.
Thanks everyone, your comments and supports helped me a lot, during this month, and I learned a lot.

About the lens, (DFA 50mm macro)
I bought this lens just less than 2 months ago, for using as a portrait/macro/close up lens, and it showed me that it's good even for landscapes, and even due you don't have enough safety distance from subject in 1:1 mode, but you still can use it at 1:1.5, however I shot some insects at 1:1
and I found it really sharp and nice lens, with a brilliant starburst effect.
08-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #153
Veteran Member

picking up film from lab on monday since i forgot they close on sundays
08-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my third go around with the DA 21. I really had fun with it this time and I am quite pleased with the results. It was definitely great for floral close ups as well as landscapes with deep DoF. I still don't tend to use it as much as my DA 15 or the DA 35 ltd and I think that's just because I find it is not quite wide enough or not quite long enough, it is certainly not due to the quality because it is probably better (more consistent) quality wise than either of those and it is so tiny there really is no excuse for not tucking it in to the bag more often.

I will not be back until November. Work will be too crazy over the next two months. We are totally revamping our programs, I am very active on two hospital committees, about to get back into the neurorehab unit on a regular basis and our agency is planning and hosting a province wide forum. So I will monitor the festivities from the sidelines and cheer you all on from time to time. Have a great September everyone.

08-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #155
Veteran Member

We'll miss you Joe, Take care and back on to the game soon.
09-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well it's been an up and down month for me shooting wise. I don't need to tell you folks that the 77 is just a wonderful lens. I like that I feel I have a long way to go to actualize more of its potential because I get to just keep using it as much as I can. Thanks for watching.
09-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Some fireworks shots from last nights here
all shot with Tamron 17-50

This one is my favorite:

09-02-2013, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two days too late for the challenge, but I had this drop in my lap today. My shot with the DA*16-50 is in the daily thread, but these two with the DA*300 are much better in my opinion.

09-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #159
Pentaxian

great looking shots Sandy!

Hello everyone, and thank you for your thoughts they do help a little.

It is time for my sum up for August too. I had A 24/2.8 as lens choise.

It is quite good in what it is. Good oldie. There is something to wish more, and I'll propably end up selling this beauty among some other lenses in favor of buying new stuff...there are some DA.s calling my name and maybe even HD coating on them... anyway back to subject. Good lens, colors are really nice as supposed, sharpness is so and so, but stopped down to f 8 or so it is good and enough for most stuff. I like it's compactness too. Smooth focus and great build. An other part of my sigle in was Cokin filter set. Which I love! well there is some colorcast with ND filters, but it is quite well fixable with LR. It must bother me more to get me buying LEE filter set. It did do what I did like it to do, open new path for my creativity. Most of those things are doable with LR too, but shooting with filters at nature is more fun. I must buy some more filters, for different color and so. I can recommend it to anyone. It is little bit hustle, but worth it.

I'll stay out for September too. I'd like to join, but still so many things going on. Thank you all for this month and for your thoughts too.
09-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Two days too late for the challenge
I love these shots man. They are special. You have to submit them to the exclusive gallery and PPG
09-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the comments and camaraderie this month (last month): }

SMC 55mm f/1.8 K mount :
I think everybody is familiar with this lens. Any Pentax 50-55mm from past decades is a gem and this one is no exception. Don't ask it to do what it can't, such as shoot into the sun, and it's a great lens. Use with a hood or use your hat. better yet, put the sun at your back. Easy to focus, nice colors, nice bokeh and remarkably sharp. Even wide open it's crisp.Any photos in August not sharp are probably user error. I felt like I wasn't taking my time and using good technique when the images weren't what I hoped for. I rarely got out and relaxed and had fun with the lens. Seems like photos for me are best when taken with a sense of wonderment. I also have not discovered a focal length I prefer over others. Part of the challenge seems to be adjusting the way one sees the world through different lenses.
Sorry for the lateness of this. Slipped my mind.
09-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I love these shots man. They are special. You have to submit them to the exclusive gallery and PPG
Thanks Todd. I would consider it if I had any idea how to do it
09-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #163
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

PPG is easy. Just go to this link and create an account. You'll have to wait for the acceptance email, but almost everyone gets accepted. Then upload photos to your pre-gallery website and wait for people to vote you in. Only those of us who shoot Pentax are accepted.

PENTAX : Online photo gallery for PENTAX photographers.

PEG isn't complicated either but the judges are the ones that accept your photos. Read about it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/109832-exclusive-gallery...taxforums.html
09-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Speaking of PPG, remember my lizard that you guys made me adjust? The revised edition got into PPG.
09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
DA*16-50mm A review: better late than never

I lashed out blindly to buy this lens as my first decent quality one to go with my new Kr. I used it in my first Singles Challenge a couple of years ago. To be frank, it didn't excite me then. However it has since become my work-horse travel lens and as my technique has improved and I've learned how to use the beast my respect for it has grown. In this August Challenge and carrying through to my current journey in Ireland, I've been very pleased with its results.

I really like its crispness at wider apertures, and it often delivers lovely bokeh. One of the biggest lessons I've learned is not to rush it - the autofocus on mine does need to be given time to think for the best results. Colour rendition is very good, although flaring can be a problem, even with the big lens hood (a judiciously placed hand can help here). My only ongoing disappointment is the very obvious inward leaning assigned to vertical subject elements when used at the shorter focal lengths.

If you're keen you can also have a look at my Irish set on Flickr; there are a couple of ring-in shots with other lenses, but the vast majority are taken with the 16-50mm.

Verdict: I'm keeping it and it will retain its workhorse role in my travel kit for a long while yet. It's a beauty.