Rusty Granite - Tioga Pass, CA

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What holds back Lake Powell. It sure would be nice if the Colorado River drainage basin received the amount of rain California did...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-09-2017, 08:48 AM - 5 Likes   #288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
What holds back Lake Powell. It sure would be nice if the Colorado River drainage basin received the amount of rain California did...
Another typical "grand scenic" of Bryce. Pity that rain, weather in general and other natural phenomena don't behave exactly to the convenience of humans. With all the money we give the Gov't, you'd think they could do something about it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-10-2017, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #289
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Another typical "grand scenic" of Bryce. Pity that rain, weather in general and other natural phenomena don't behave exactly to the convenience of humans. With all the money we give the Gov't, you'd think they could do something about it.
Well, the gov't is overly preoccupied in finding new ways of increasing our healthcare costs...

Nice shot of Bryce Canyon. I had to use a Kodak disposable camera after my p&s bonked out on our journey across Utah. the Kodak seemed to high-cut the exposures.

Attached Images

03-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
Well, the gov't is overly preoccupied in finding new ways of increasing our healthcare costs...

Nice shot of Bryce Canyon. I had to use a Kodak disposable camera after my p&s bonked out on our journey across Utah. the Kodak seemed to high-cut the exposures.
Looks as though the Great Yellow Father did OK with that scenic.
03-24-2017, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hoodoos of Chiracahua National Monument, southeast Arizona. Formed from an immense volcanic eruption about 27 million years ago.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
03-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhere I have chromes taken in Chiracahua. We had the parking area at an overlook entirely to ourselves It was overcast, got windy, started to rain, and suddenly we were in a Biblical deluge, unable to see the hood of the car with wipers going full speed, and the car was rocking almost to being frightening by the wind. Memorable place.

03-26-2017, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t want to be circumlocutory, but your story is similar to mine when I was there. It was at the time winter storm, Borrega, was transiting the lower southwest and was right overhead, as you can see in the previous photo. The wind was picking up, temps dropping and clouds were lowering in the skies. It was late afternoon and I wanted to get to New Mexico to spend the night.

Crossing over the mountain pass I took a wrong turn, and instead of descending to the other side into New Mexico, I continued to climb up to the summit on what turned into basically a jeep trail. I ended up at a remote/empty campground with bear warning signs posted. Conditions naturally began to worsen as it started sleeting with ice adhering to the car, so I turned around and decided to get back downhill to warmer temps as quickly as possible. Then I noticed my low-tire-pressure warning light was on.

After scanning the tires (none seemed recognizably deflated), I started back down the trail. Fortunately, after a few hundred feet drop in altitude, the sleet turned to light rain with fog. I eventually reached my erroneous intersection, and decided to go back the way I came, past the now-closed ranger station. We (my wife and her 90-year-old mother) finally reached an asphalt highway, and proceeded at maximum speeds of less than 40 mph into Wilcox, where we secured a hotel room for the night.

Next morning I checked the tires (it was the spare), gassed up and proceeded through NM and into TX while the storm still bore down on us with nasty cross winds and occasional rain. We spent two additional nights in El Paso because of ice causing a massive pile-up on I-10 toward Midland. It wasn’t until we reached southern OK that we left the track of the storm.

In summary… I have this urge to return to the Chiracahuas!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Geodude; 03-26-2017 at 10:12 AM.
03-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Dead camel mountain

On the eastern edge of Lahontan reservoir in Nevada. So named because one of the camels used to haul salt to the Comstock lode died there.
03-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wife & daughter at the edge of a hole collapsed into a lava tube. Some places you can walk into the tubes, but this one would require a rope or ladder and a description warned it was only for experienced cavers. Scan from a chrome.
Attached Images

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-01-2017 at 04:38 AM.
03-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another lava tube with the roof collapsed. In the El Malpais region of New Mexico. Auto settings on the P&S had issues with the sharp contrasts...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EX-Z80  Photo 
04-28-2017, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread has been quiet for a while. The image below is a very famous exposure. Pictures of it are used in many elementary geology text books. I'm sure Geodude has seen it. I posted a slightly different image of it maybe two years back, Hopefully few if any remember. In one of the more euphemistic terms used by geologists, these strata have been "disturbed."
Attached Images

04-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Friday I went down to the Hocking Hills. The Blackhand Sandstone weathers into interesting features. These cliffs are along Queer Creek just below Cedar Falls,

Here is Cedar Falls, from one of the small caves around the gorge
04-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been looking for Niagara escarpment pictures, but this one was also interesting to see. Pictographs, Lake Superior.:

Agawa Bay path
by Aaron, on Flickr

Clear, cold water - uncovered bones underwater:

Lake Superior, Clear day
by Aaron, on Flickr
05-01-2017, 04:41 AM   #300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Friday I went down to the Hocking Hills. The Blackhand Sandstone weathers into interesting features. These cliffs are along Queer Creek just below Cedar Falls,

Here is Cedar Falls, from one of the small caves around the gorge
Enjoyed both these images, but especially the roots spreading over the rocks in the first image (consequence of being more a naturalist than a geologist that I would pick out something organic in an image dominated by rocks)