Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 824 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2020, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From the Canyonlands N.P., known as the Hamburger Rock. To me, it looks more like a long-lithified alien spacecraft.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #752
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Burn In Spate

It usually takes a couple of days after heavy rain, to get the peaty water on the move like this.

04-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #753
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Loch Ness Pano

Lock down here for a while longer yet... so on a fine day and I've got time to play, so something new for me to do.

This from the Kerrowdown Estate this afternoon... it's an 18 portrait format K1 shots, sorted out by Photoshop.

So this wee jpg file doesn't really do it justice...

There's just a staggering amount of captured detail on the 1.94 GB tiff file.

04-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #754
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The hills have eyes.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-18-2020, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #755
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hualapai rock arch in the Black mountains Arizona.
This arch is hidden from view by house size boulders, until you climb within a few yards of it. I wish I had taken my wide angle lens. This thing has a 137 feet span.
The climb up from my jeep was hard on my 74 yr. old knees, going down was worse
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by mkgd1; 04-19-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
04-28-2020, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #756
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Lump Of Rock

Just sits there looking at me... need to find a pile of papers to put it to work.

04-29-2020, 07:56 AM - 5 Likes   #757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From a stormy day in the Chiricahuas, SE Arizona.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-29-2020, 02:58 PM - 3 Likes   #758
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This conglomerate is later pre-Cambrian, about 1700 million years
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
04-29-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
From a stormy day in the Chiricahuas, SE Arizona.
Imagine being an explorer back in the day, and seeing that landscape in between you and your destination.
04-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
This conglomerate is later pre-Cambrian, about 1700 million years
The Proterozoic Huronian period puddingstone conglomerate is the state rock of Mass. There's actually an outcrop in the Roxbury area, if I remember correctly, where I obtained a sample to give to my Boston dwelling in-law as a birthday present.
Attached Images

04-30-2020, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #761
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Imagine being an explorer back in the day, and seeing that landscape in between you and your destination.
Yes, it would certainly make for a difficult transect, then and now. Here's another shot from the same location looking SW toward Mt. Wrightston and the Santa Ritas.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-30-2020, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #762
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
The Proterozoic Huronian period puddingstone conglomerate is the state rock of Mass. There's actually an outcrop in the Roxbury area, if I remember correctly, where I obtained a sample to give to my Boston dwelling in-law as a birthday present.
Also in MessyChewBits is the Sugarloaf Arkose, almost the type of what an arkose should be. Sugarloaf Mtn is north and across the river, but there's a minor road cut within a mile where it is exposed, and probable boulders of it right behind our house. Considering that the eastern sliver of the Commonwealth used to be on the wrong side of an ocean, small wonder there are a few interesting rocks here, although as a westerner once remarked, most geology in the east is covered by swamp. Marshall Kay managed to see things in it even if he did not come to the right conclusions until he sat in on a seminar at Woods Hole that reported some findings from an exploration across the mid-Atlantic Ridge, I think paleomagnetism but also some sediment sampling had been done. At the following lecture in our graduate class he remarked that we were all going to have to change the way we thought about the Earth.
05-03-2020, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #763
Pentaxian

Tall bones in the Santiam Wilderness, in Oregon.

05-04-2020, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm posting images of these make-them-because-its-fun cairns that have been constructed along a brook in a nearby conservation area. Not sure of the original age of the component bones (=boulders and cobbles), but Paleozoic at least, and possibly Proterozoic for some if not all of them.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 
05-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As such "cairns" become more common I've decided to knock them over when I come across them. I'm sure some would say I'm being a spoilsport. I would say it's the reverse -- whoever makes them (and I expect that the vast majority of these are made by adults, not children) is spoiling the natural setting, very much the opposite of "leave no trace".