Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in September 2013

Welcome everyone to this month’s Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game:

To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month – that’s why it’s called a challenge! (You can take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. You can take pictures with other lenses too, but these shots aren’t eligible to be posted to the challenge).

Posting your picture each day allows other participants to comment on your photograph; conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards:

It’s great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember). You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their own selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if you’re worried about LBA – this game doesn’t help you fight it

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - you’ll find it on YouTube (
)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread and you’ll probably want to subscribe to it to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. After a few days you’ll be an expert. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

08-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in again (of course). I have been really impressed with the DA*16-50 efforts this month. As I have two, and one is converted to screw drive, I intend to compare them both to explore how much variation there is between copies and decide if I should sell one or both of them, with the Sigma 18-35 (which I totally need ) hitting the market soon.
08-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'd like to play but will have to wait until after the 29th to decide if I'm able or not. If I play it will be my new lens, the Pentax 50-200mm.
08-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am trying to decide between my Takumar 50/1.4 (8 element) or my Tamron 70-200/2.8. I'm scared to go all in with the long lens, and I love manual focus, but somehow the Tamron is calling to me. I also really want to do the Takumar now so that I can compare it to my 55, which I did in July. Indecision! Opinions?

08-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I'm scared to go all in with the long lens, and I love manual focus, but somehow the Tamron is calling to me.
I was terrified about committing to a month with the DA*300, but I have to say it is panning out OK. Just do it!
08-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I was terrified about committing to a month with the DA*300, but I have to say it is panning out OK.
Indeed it is -- you've posted some lovely work (as usual). That's part of the fun, stretching one's conception of what can be done with a given lens.

I continue to watch from the sidelines with interest. I'm hoping to re-join the fray in November.
08-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've been meaning to do this "single in" challenge with one of my old manual lenses for a very long time now, but always lacked focus (ha - that's a joke there!).

Considering how close we are to September, I just might make it this time, but which lens? Hmmmm...

08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OK, if Sandy can do the 300, I can cart around the Tamron for a month.
08-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Ok. I think I'm going to try this for the first time. Probably going to use my SMC-M 50mm f1.7 -- hope my pictures won't end up being too boring...

Looking forward to the challenge!

Last edited by amseaman; 08-23-2013 at 12:12 PM.
08-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nobody's pictures are boring, come one, come all, everybody is most welcome.
Yep I am in, again, having gone through August with the *16-50 I am thing *50-135 or, bite the bullet like Sandy and go *300. Will get back to you.
08-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

Hi folks!

It has been almost a year since my last time, maybe I'll finally find time for september. Not really sure as I'm moving at the end of august; I guess I'll decide at the last moment. ;-)

If I do have the time, I might finally try a month with my FA 28-70 f/4.
08-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
OK, if Sandy can do the 300, I can cart around the Tamron for a month.
Go for it. I was going to say it might be better to try it in September before the days get too short and you'll want the f/1.4 ability of the Tak 50.

I'll be in with the SMC Pentax-F 1:3.5-4.5 35-70mm I recently acquired.

On another note: layover tomorrow in Vancouver. Any must see areas and/or brewpubs to visit?
08-23-2013, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Inactive Account

Challenge accepted. Now, I just have to decide on a lens.
08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
September's looking good with some brand new faces - Welcome all
08-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
I have been on the forum for some time now and always wanted to try this. Maybe September will be the month, and I am seriously considering using my kit lens as it is the only lens in my kit that never gets used. We will see I guess.