Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #108 WINNERS

Thanks to everyone who entered this week's challenge. I chose this shot in part because I tend to include Calgary's downtown skyline in many of my shots and was curious to know what others would do with it and also because many have commented on the depth of blue in the sky in shots in days taken on days like this. The original file was taken with the DA 21 limited and no polarizer.

So on to judging...

aglet - as a fellow Albertan no doubt you recognize these skies. I do like what you have done to brighten the scene and adjust the WB. The second B&W with the enlarged fly is nice too but I am taking the first as your "official" entry.

baro-nite - I really like the way your conversion captures the sense of shifting light on days of high clouds like this, very nice tones too.

atupdate - I do like the crop you settles on very much here. I am not quite sure about the dark colour tones though.

todd - This crop is also very effective. At first I thought this conversion to heavy on the contrast but the more I look at it the more I like it.

Bill2849 - Cropping out almost all of the foreground the way you have gives maximum impact to the sky. The shift to the blues and addition of the vignette adds a "dream of summer" feels to the for me.

D1N0 - your treatment really highlights the beauty of the grassland park where the shot was taken, however the pinkish tinge to the clouds from the over saturation of the skies sets me off a little.

astonm - again another super crop, this one gives quite a different feel to the scene.

Now the tough part, choosing a winner from a great crop of offerings. As usual the selection is entirely subjective...

Third: baro-nite

Second: todd

First and next week's host: Bill2849

Congrats to all!

09-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Bill! Joe chose well as yours was my favorite too. The little bit that I am familiar with LR makes it all the more impressive that you did this in there. Thanks Joe for the challenge. Always enjoy 'visiting' your city.
09-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Joe for the challenge and for the vote. Congratulations to Todd and Baro-Nite for your entries.
I'll try to get a new round started tomorrow, or Tuesday morning at the latest.

Best wishes,

Bill
09-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

That was fun, gave me a reason to fire up Photoshop again. i needed some kind of incentive to do a little post-processing again.

09-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That was a nice challenge to work on. Congrats Bill and thanks Joe.