Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Bankstown, 1963. I learned to fly on these at the Royal Aero Club of NSW. Half a century has passed since I clicked these with my Kodak Retinette, and I doubt anything is recognisable anymore.

10-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The new K3 has everyone excited, so here are a couple more to keep the thread alive. These two are of the Union Buildings in Pretoria. The first taken with a Kodak Retinette 1A plus Kodachrome Ten, in late afternoon June 1961. The second was taken twenty years later with an MX and the M28mmf2.8. This particular image is a K5 photo of a projection of the original slide.
[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/10239265753/]Union Buildings 1981, Pretoria[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Last edited by arnold; 12-25-2013 at 03:54 PM.
10-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Bankstown, 1963. I learned to fly on these at the Royal Aero Club of NSW. Half a century has passed since I clicked these with my Kodak Retinette, and I doubt anything is recognisable anymore.
Nice Chipmunk.

In 1963, I was 15 and still a year and a bit away from matriculating out of Year 6 High School (Year 12 in modern parlance). I was a corporal in the RAAF Air Trainng Corps aka air cadets (Dux of Queensland Squadron on a course I did at RAAF Amberley). My prize was to be a flight in a Canberra but I got sick and missed out.

I had hoped to join the RAAF but I was too short-sighted for any role in the Air Force.

Should I scan all the colour slides I took at Archerfield at the start of the Ansett Air Race?
10-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #169

Not fantastic photography but.... Queen Mary as she leaves Southampton, England for Long Beach, California circa 1968 and then a Ford Cortina Mk II south of London headed for Sydney in the London - Sydney rally 1968. Can you believe they'd drive all that way in this! That's when men were men.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Briggs; 06-16-2014 at 12:06 AM.
10-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Briggs Quote
Not fantastic photography but.... Queen Mary as she leaves Southampton, England for Long Beach, California circa 1968 and then a Ford Cortina Mk II south of London headed for Sydney in the London - Sydney rally 1968. Can you believe they'd drive all that way in this! That's when men were men.
I wonder what route they took from London to Sydney? Where did they put the cars on ships?
10-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #171
Veteran Member

I like the pic of the Queen Mary, Richard.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I wonder what route they took from London to Sydney? Where did they put the cars on ships?
See London?Sydney Marathon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1993, I shipped parts unobtainable in the UK to the UK for a Hillman Hunter entry (I bought a new Hunter in 1971 - this one https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/236450-misc-show-those-o...ml#post2509790 - and finally gave it away in 2008. It has since been restored and lives in Canberra. The entrants contacted me as they knew of my then involvement with the Hillman Owners Club of Australia)
10-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Should I scan all the colour slides I took at Archerfield at the start of the Ansett Air Race?
It may pay to select the best representation of the event, one you found the most interesting, or one with a bit of a story.
Not fantastic photography but.... Queen Mary as she leaves Southampton, England for Long Beach,
A perfect picture for this thread - a chronology on film of a world now much changed. Car rallies were popular back then as people set out to prove the reliability of their cars.

10-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #173
Veteran Member

It may pay to select the best representation of the event, one you found the most interesting, or one with a bit of a story.

I hadn't intended to put them all up here. I had a Google for images from the race and I have more good colour slides than what Google brought forth in both mono and colour. But when I croak, no one will want the slides.
10-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I had a Google for images from the race and I have more good colour slides than what Google brought forth in both mono and colour. But when I croak, no one will want the slides.
Old pictures will always be of interest to some people at various times. I started this thread because of a rekindled interest in pictures I took half a century ago, and the realization that both the world and I are older. The pictures are the only store of earlier times, that is more reliable than memory. They also give a dimension to a lifespan, but one has to be quite old for that effect.
10-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #175

Further to 'arnold' the picture I posted above of the London Sydney rally was in my huge box of 'failures and discard' slides in the attic because, back when I took it, it was simply an underexposed snap with subsequent zero value. Before throwing these 'failures' away I took the trouble to go through them all 'just in case'. And I found many slides that suddenly took on a new life as I realised their curiosity value regardless of their photographic quality. This was one.
10-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Further to 'arnold' the picture I posted above of the London Sydney rally was in my huge box of 'failures and discard' slides in the attic because, back when I took it, it was simply an underexposed snap with subsequent zero value. Before throwing these 'failures' away I took the trouble to go through them all 'just in case'. And I found many slides that suddenly took on a new life as I realised their curiosity value regardless of their photographic quality. This was one.
This illustrates the different aspects of photography. The two broad categories would appear to be the 'record' and the 'artistic', Sadly many interesting and never to be recorded again, pictures are tossed out for poor technical results. I too have kept my failures simply for their uniqueness. It seems to me that by a huge margin, the pictures on this forum concentrate on the artistic results. To me, the ideal is a remarkable record done artistically. There were photographers who set out to record wars for example, and the pictures they were most famous for, were not always the most artistic. However, the picture of the flag raising on Iwo Jima met both criteria, and what an imact that had,
10-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This illustrates the different aspects of photography. The two broad categories would appear to be the 'record' and the 'artistic', Sadly many interesting and never to be recorded again, pictures are tossed out for poor technical results. I too have kept my failures simply for their uniqueness. It seems to me that by a huge margin, the pictures on this forum concentrate on the artistic results. To me, the ideal is a remarkable record done artistically. There were photographers who set out to record wars for example, and the pictures they were most famous for, were not always the most artistic. However, the picture of the flag raising on Iwo Jima met both criteria, and what an imact that had,
A little trivia: That photo was actually of the second flag put on top of mount Suribachi, the first was photographed by Sgt. Lou Lowery who had his camera wrecked by a grenade blast at the moment of the shot(film survived). But the flag was too small to be seen so a second much larger flag was sent up later and the famous photo was taken by AP reporter Joe Rosenthal. A friend I have was there with the 5th Marines, he landed with 120 in his company and was one of 6 survivors at the end. Three were wounded including him! What meatgrinder!! He is now 88 and just remarried
Joel
10-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok took me a month to finally get my scanner working, not good just working! These are from the summer of 1985 when I was with the Colts, a drum and Bugle Corp out of Dubuque, IA. We toured across the U.S. doing contests and shows. This was at the end of what I call the golden years of Drum Corps!(mid70's to mid 80's) We had three buses named; Titanic, Posiden, and Lusitania! An equipment and food truck and 100+ performers and staff. we also had really hot uniforms (wool and nylon)!!! I was much skinnier then imagine that!!!
First the bus! this was a polaroid all others were with a K1000.

Me in studly uniform

Soprano line

Night show

And of course it rains!

Not as cool as classic planes or flying cycles but hey it was good times!!
10-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
We had three buses named; Titanic, Posiden, and Lusitania! An equipment and food truck and 100+ performers and staff. we also had really hot uniforms (wool and nylon)!!! I was much skinnier then imagine that!!!
Love the names of the busses. You were surely tempting the Gods! These are a lovely record of the good times and attitudes of those years. These may well be worth doing a decent scan on. Thanks for the contribution.
10-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is another set of Before and After shots. The B&W in 1962 with a Kodak Retinette, and the colour in 2012 with a K5 of St Mark's Church, Darling Point, Sydney.