Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #256
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Great shot, and it goes to show that a good photo is seldom limited by the fact that it isn't a top of the line camera / lens which took it. Those B24s used to fly out of the Cocos Islands in WW2. (NW of Australia)
Agreed, great shot! BTW, Liberators (many built in Australia) operated out of the Northern Territory during the Japanese occupation of the islands to the north. Rough airstrips were built some distance inland to make it harder for Japanese aircraft with shorter ranges to attack.

11-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Great shot, and it goes to show that a good photo is seldom limited by the fact that it isn't a top of the line camera / lens which took it. Those B24s used to fly out of the Cocos Islands in WW2. (NW of Australia)
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Agreed, great shot! BTW, Liberators (many built in Australia) operated out of the Northern Territory during the Japanese occupation of the islands to the north. Rough airstrips were built some distance inland to make it harder for Japanese aircraft with shorter ranges to attack.
Thank you both. Interesting facts about the B-24s in Australia too. I didn't know that they were so heavily used in that part of the world.
11-22-2013, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We all have different reasons for taking an interest in photography. My motivation came from the inability to focus the family box camera. Here are two pictures to show what I mean. Both are of our very intelligent fox terrier. The B&W taken with a box camera in the late fifties, and the colour with the Kodak Retinette 1a I finally was able to afford in 1961. I had to estimate the distance, and use a hand held light meter. Kodachrome 10 still shines over half a century later.
[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/7807484642/]Jockey 1961 (Improved Scan)[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Attached Images

11-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #259
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We all have different reasons for taking an interest in photography. My motivation came from the inability to focus the family box camera. Here are two pictures to show what I mean. Both are of our very intelligent fox terrier. The B&W taken with a box camera in the late fifties, and the colour with the Kodak Retinette 1a I finally was able to afford in 1961. I had to estimate the distance, and use a hand held light meter. Kodachrome 10 still shines over half a century later.
It may be blurred and/or out of focus, but what a fun image that B&W shot is!

11-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #260

We all have different reasons for taking an interest in photography. My motivation came from the inability to focus the family box camera. ...
Arnold, I think many people were unable to focus their family box cameras, owing mainly to the fixed focus. Sorry ... anyway, your 1961 terrier shot absolutely looks like it could've been made, processed, and scanned all yesterday. The archival stability of Kodachrome is just ridiculous. Even though we all know about that, I'm still floored every time I see people pull out 40, 50, even the oft-cited 70-year-old ones showing no degradation. It's uncanny.

--Dave
11-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is one from colonial Africa. My grandfather was involved in mining engineering, and I have a few of his photos from around the turn of the 19th century. This one was in Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) taken just before WW1 in 1913. He is the man in glasses behind the first lady on the left. Tennis at the Antelope Mine 1913 Southern Rhodesia. And no, I didn't take the picture
Attached Images

11-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/11091874025/]Abandoned. 1972. Constellation at Warmbaths S. Africa[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Once was queen of the skies, now abandoned. In 1972 we encountered this just outside of Warmbaths, miles from any airport, Transvaal South Africa. It needs a better scan.
Yashica Lynx 5000 on Kodachrome.

Last edited by arnold; 12-08-2013 at 05:03 AM.
11-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I remember seeing Constellations at the airport as a child. Really lovely airliner. My father worked in the aviation industry and we were seeing him off or greeting him regularly.
11-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another slide on Kodachrome. Pentax MX, M50 f1.7 in 1981. The Drakensberg of South Africa are beautiful scenery. I doubt too many changes in this scene thirty two years later.
[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/11111069673/]Drakensberg, South Africa 1981[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

12-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well before 1990. Found this one from 1961, taken with a simple view finder.

[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/11184104083/]Kodak Retinette 1A (1961)[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

12-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From Darling Point. This time a Kodachrome from 1961 of a similar B&W version.
The large crane soon disappeared, and over a decade later the Opera House got underway.
Retinette 1A
[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/11263698695/]Historic, Sydney from Darling Point 1961. Kodachrome and Kodak Retinette 1A[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/aeomaster32/]arnold_broese[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

Last edited by arnold; 01-02-2014 at 02:51 AM.
12-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This shot, from 1978 or 1979, shows an Australis catamaran overtaking a Flying Dutchman in a light breeze. The Australis was selected in 1967 as the best design within the International Yacht Racing Union (now ISAF) A-Class catamaran design rules. A-Class is an open design with only length, beam, sail area, and weight limits. The idea of a one-design class is that all the boats are the same and it makes for fairer racing. Due to several factors, the Australis class didn't really take off. It was quite popular in Australia. This was probably one of the last built. Mine was 91. We'd improved the old-fashioned sail plan, but by 1980 or so we decided to wind up the class and we all became A-Class. The guy sailing this one is Greg Goodall who later won the World A-Class championships a couple of times.

What do they look like these days? (Not my photo) Another light wind day at the same club. Timber rudder blades and dagger boards have been replaced by much lighter foam/carbon fibre boards, the pear-shaped aluminium mast section has been replaced by an aerofoil carbon fibre section, the hulls are radically different.

This one, also not mine - people send me stuff, for a bit of mayhem.

And what's Greg Goodall doing?

Sail-World.com : The Future as seen by 2011 F18 Champ Greg Goodall

Richard.
12-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
This shot, from 1978 or 1979, shows an Australis catamaran overtaking a Flying Dutchman in a light breeze.
I love catamarans, but my fair skin demands I stay out of the sun. Where does the Hobie Cat fit in the design wars? Are the new designs noticeably faster?
12-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love catamarans, but my fair skin demands I stay out of the sun. Where does the Hobie Cat fit in the design wars? Are the new designs noticeably faster?
I think they are. Their F18 is pretty quick. The early Hobies were dreadfully slow and heavy. There was a Hobie 18 at our club. It took 6 people to lift the hulls onto it's trailer. Two people could handle an A-Class, also 18'.

I had to give up sailing As a few years ago. A sad day for me.