Attached Images

02-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #320
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Actually this is the next shot. Snowman in the face
Now that is funny :-)

---------- Post added 02-27-2014 at 12:07 AM ----------

Here are some shots I took in Norway back in 1978 on Kodachrome 64 using Pentax ME or MX (I had both and have them still):

Hurtigruten Ragnvald Jarl - on the coast of Northern Norway:

Manual navigational aid for taking bearings and such. We used on board the submarine I was serving on back in 1978 when cruising on the surface. Probably taken with the smc Pentax-M 50mm F1.7.

Taken from the conning tower of my sub - KNM Ula or S 300 - en route to Tromsų. STANAVFORLANT*) was having an exercise in that area back then. In the distance you can see Tromsų, a bridge linking the city of Tromsų with the mainland and a modern church that the locals have named the "Arctic Cathedral", although it is just a regular church. But it is a very fine example of modern architecture: Arctic Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have posted some more pics from the same time here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-l...#ixzz2uVF06sui

The images have been digitized using an smc Pentax-M 50mm macro F4.0, extension ring and Pentax slide copier on the Pentax K-5

*) STAnding NAVal FORces, atLANTic (NATO)

Last edited by LaHo; 02-27-2014 at 12:17 AM.
02-27-2014, 02:34 AM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Found these two slides taken with my MX and a 55mm Pentax lens, in 1977, We used to fly near to Lord Howe Island (31*31' South, under Australian jurisdiction) on our way North from Sydney to Fiji, Honolulu and home to Vancouver.
That runway on Lord Howe looks short!

Lord Howe is part of NSW, unlike Norfolk Island which is an external territory. I lived/worked on Norfolk for 3 years from 1990 (managing the ANZCAN Submarine Cable Station).(ANZCAN - Australia-New Zealand-Canada)
02-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
The images have been digitized using an smc Pentax-M 50mm macro F4.0, extension ring and Pentax slide copier on the Pentax K-5
Your system of scanning is working well. Interesting pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Lord Howe is part of NSW, unlike Norfolk Island which is an external territory. I lived/worked on Norfolk for 3 years from 1990 (managing the ANZCAN Submarine Cable Station).(ANZCAN - Australia-New Zealand-Canada)
How did you find the locals and life in general there?

02-27-2014, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These were taken back in the summer of 1976 in the USSR. (Kodachrome 64 with my Pentax KX)

Phil.
02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
These were taken back in the summer of 1976 in the USSR. (Kodachrome 64 with my Pentax KX)
Glad to see these from the Soviet Era. Is this Leningrad (St Petersburg) ? Pretty brave of you to visit during the cold war. Good looking pictures.
02-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to see these from the Soviet Era. Is this Leningrad (St Petersburg) ? Pretty brave of you to visit during the cold war. Good looking pictures.
Thanks! Yep Leningrad and Moscow.

Yeah I was traveling by train by myself and it was a bit dodgy a few times, but I survived! I was only 18/19 on that trip, so was fearless at that age.

I have tons more Kodachrome stuff that I’ll post from my 1970’s travel adventures over the next while.

Phil.
02-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have tons more Kodachrome stuff that I’ll post from my 1970’s travel adventures over the next while.
Look forward to them, don't leave out the story behind them - background information
02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #327
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ok, I will play!

I remember seeing a shot with a 1950 International truck a few pages back so here is my 1952 International pickup. I don't remember the model, but I seem to remember that it was a 3/4 ton truck with a very anemic 6-cylinder engine. It was a Godsend though on the unusually snowy winter that struck Walla Walla, Washington back in 1979.

Taken with my black (!) Ricoh Singlex TLS and Rexatar 50/1.7 and Kodachrome II.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-27-14 at 07:15 PM ----------

Yours truly in 1982.

Again, with the Ricon Singlex TLS and Rexatar 50/1.7 on Kodachrome 64.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-27-14 at 07:20 PM ----------

Like my dark hair, here is something that no longer exists...

Christ of the Caribbean

A little rude by comparison with the great statue in Rio de Janiero, but impressive, none-the-less. This photo was taken June, 1985. Unfortunately, the statue was destroyed by Hurricane Marilyn in 1995. To give a sense of scale, the mill ruin in the background is a full 2-stories tall.

Peace Hill, St. John, USVI

Taken with Ricoh XR7 and Tamron 28/2.5 (02B) and Kodachrome 64

Steve

---------- Post added 02-27-14 at 07:43 PM ----------

On the subject of vintage aircraft, here is something a little different. Hang gliding was a very new sport back in the early 70's, but manufactured kites were somewhat hard to come. The Whole Earth Catalog and other alternative-culture publications had plans to build Rogallo wings using all kinds of interesting materials. Several guys in my general circle decided that they wanted to fly. Although bamboo was a commonly-suggested material, our group decided on aluminum tubing instead. Bamboo was a little hard to come by.

The first several gliders were made of common irrigation pipe, clear Visqueen, duct tape, steel cable, various pieces of aircraft-quality hardware and steel sheet, two lengths of rope and the seat off a child's swingset. Yes, you read right, plastic sheeting and duct tape to secure the sail to the frame.

After several successful flights there was some concern regarding the durability of the airframe. The second generation saw the irrigation pipe replaced with 6061 T6 aluminum tubing, stainless sheeting, stainless steel cable and colored rather than clear plastic sheeting. Here are two photos of my buddy, Bill, piloting his creation, early spring 1974.

Yes, that second shot was done at a local ski area. Bill was an expert skier and the area operators were cool with letting us use the mountain as a launch pad. According to Bill, the take-off on skis was incredibly smooth as was the landing. Oh, and in case you were wondering, duct tape was used to make the seams on the sail itself in addition to securing the plastic to the frame.

Both shots with the Ricoh Singlex TLS on Kodachrome II.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-27-2014 at 09:01 PM.
02-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
my 1952 International pickup
Love the colours here, Takes me back.

Unfortunately, the statue was destroyed by Hurricane Marilyn in 1995.
Clearly the Gods were not impressed.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, duct tape was used to make the seams on the sail itself in addition to securing the plastic to the frame.
Duct tape, what would we do without it. After seeing an ultralight break up in the air, I would not use unapproved materials. Older people know they can die.
02-28-2014, 05:20 AM   #329
Veteran Member

How did you find the locals and life in general there?
I loved living/working on Norfolk Island. Even thought the island is only 5km x 8km, after I settled in I didn't feel hemmed in. My wife had to drag me off the island to go on holiday. I lived across the road from the dive shop so i just left my dive gear there, all ready for the next dive.

The people accepted us very quickly even though we were TEPs (Temporary Entry Permit holders). Even though it is an Australian territory, one just can't move and live there. I had a job so I could move to there. My wife was into horse riding so she fitted in and I did a Friday night radio request show as well as helping maintain the local radio station and TV transmitters so I became well known quickly.
02-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #330
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

After seeing an ultralight break up in the air, I would not use unapproved materials.
The problem at the time was determining a best-practice approach to building the gliders. The commercial product (one maker) had only been available for about a year. To give some perspective, the first foot-launched hang glider flight in Australia happened less than two years before. I would liken our efforts to that of early scuba.

In any case, the hang gliding ended abruptly after a couple of fairly serious accidents, neither of which involved mechanical failure or design fault. Bill (the guy in the photos) has several fused lumbar vertebrae as a result of pilot error.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 08:26 AM ----------

Love the colours here, Takes me back.
The colors are mostly the result of the difficulty scanning old Kodachrome. The truck was actually less purplish and more rusty.

Steve