Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The colors are mostly the result of the difficulty scanning old Kodachrome. The truck was actually less purplish and more rusty.
It still looks good and I like the shot. Kodachrome is one film that I can actually scan half decently at home, as my s/w (Silverfast) came with a Kodachrome target. Fuji slide film is the one I have problems scanning.

Phil.

03-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #332
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It still looks good and I like the shot. Kodachrome is one film that I can actually scan half decently at home, as my s/w (Silverfast) came with a Kodachrome target. Fuji slide film is the one I have problems scanning.
FWIW I use Vuescan and it gets good results from pretty much any film. It's especially good at restoring faded film.
03-02-2014, 03:51 AM   #333
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, let's go wayyyy back! This image is scanned from something which is either a daguerreotype or tintype. I may be related to this person, but unfortunately my father didn't leave notes on who it was. It dates from around 1865.

03-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here are a couple of old aircraft photos I scanned from some glass negatives that I inherited from my uncle.
The plane is a Airco DH6 built in 1916 and this photo was taken in Williamstown, Victoria, Australia in 1919.
Glenn

Attached Images

03-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These shots were taken on a road trip in August 1977, from Vancouver down to San Diego, the entire distance of the US I-5 highway.

Unfortunately my friend and I did the 4500km (round trip) in a ’76 Ford Pinto with no A/C! Us Vancouverites aren’t used to that kind of heat in Southern California and it was trying to say the least.

The other thing I remember most about that trip was that Elvis Presley died while we were in LA, so that was quite the news event.

The first Star Wars movie had just opened and we waited in line to see it in the Mann’s Chinese Theater. It was well worth the wait.

My friend trying to stay cool in downtown LA.

We also did a day trip to Tijuana, Mexico.

Phil.
03-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #336
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
This image is scanned from something which is either a daguerreotype or tintype.
The scan came out well.

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Here are a couple of old aircraft photos I scanned from some glass negatives that I inherited from my uncle.
A classic historical picture. Carved four blade wooden propellor. How things have changed, that fellow could never imagine them.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The first Star Wars movie had just opened and we waited in line to see it in the Mann’s Chinese Theater.
I saw the movie in Honolulu about this time myself. These are great shots that record the lives of the time.
03-05-2014, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another photo scanned from the 450+ glass negatives that I inherited from my Uncle.This was taken c1920.
I love the chain drive and the solid rear wheel rims on this truck and it looks a bit Keystone Cops.
Glenn
Attached Images

03-06-2014, 04:12 AM   #338
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's another photo scanned from the 450+ glass negatives that I inherited from my Uncle.
What a classic and historical collection you must have. Isn't this what photography is about - recording life?

03-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #339
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another photo scanned from the 450+ glass negatives that I inherited from my Uncle.This was taken c1920.
I love the chain drive and the solid rear wheel rims on this truck and it looks a bit Keystone Cops.
Glenn
That is not a solid rear rim. It is the final drive cog! Notice the chain.

Steve
03-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #340
Forum Member

Not sure whether you'd seen these yet. They're also pre-1990s
Photos from the vault: Amazing colour images from pre-revolutionary Russia | Mail Online
03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #341
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote
Not sure whether you'd seen these yet. They're also pre-1990s
Photos from the vault: Amazing colour images from pre-revolutionary Russia | Mail Online
Wow, what a fascinating record, and using such a clever way of getting colour pictures. Everyday pictures that become history. I would like to see more from members of this Forum that are in the same spirit of recording life as it was.
03-07-2014, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
What a classic and historical collection you must have. Isn't this what photography is about - recording life?
Thank-you, yes I have been very lucky to inherit such an amazing historical collection. And yes photography is about recording life but I also
think sharing the images is important. Here's a few more. Soldiers returning from WW1, Swanston st Melbourne,Australia.
Glenn
Attached Images

03-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #343

Glenn, great historical record from what I am guessing (simplistically, as a non-Australian but a student of history) may be considered Australia's finest hour. I don't mean to glorify battle, but it seems rather noble or generous to volunteer for obviously massively dangerous service half a world away, and lose 60,000 dead fighting what could easily have been considered someone else's war. It would have been natural for Australians to say "not our problem" when there was all that ocean between you and the war. In U.S. at least, we have a hell of a time rallying public opinion behind that kind of intervention when we have not been directly attacked. (I know, for Australians at the time, it depended too on how you defined "we," given the Empire/Commonwealth construct.)

--Dave
03-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took these shots with my KX during Expo ’86 in Vancouver. I lived on the other side of False Creek, where the fair was held, so it was a short walk across a bridge to the site. I had a pass for unlimited access and tried to go multiple times per week.

I also had a partial view of the site from my apartment, so I could watch the evening fireworks form my balcony. As this was a “transportation” fair there were numerous aircraft flyovers, including a British Airways Concord that shook the whole building.

Most of the old site has been developed to oblivion now with tall apartment towers, however there are still a few of the buildings left that you can visit.

Phil.
03-10-2014, 02:56 AM   #345
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
Glenn, great historical record from what I am guessing (simplistically, as a non-Australian but a student of history) may be considered Australia's finest hour. I don't mean to glorify battle, but it seems rather noble or generous to volunteer for obviously massively dangerous service half a world away, and lose 60,000 dead fighting what could easily have been considered someone else's war. It would have been natural for Australians to say "not our problem" when there was all that ocean between you and the war. In U.S. at least, we have a hell of a time rallying public opinion behind that kind of intervention when we have not been directly attacked. (I know, for Australians at the time, it depended too on how you defined "we," given the Empire/Commonwealth construct.)
Well said, Dave, and thank you. At the time it was largely a case that because the UK was under threat, Australia was at war. Australia's losses in WW1 were huge in proportion to the population. I'm proud to say that Australians were instrumental in turning the tide in France through the use of the combination of tanks and troops. My mother's father was in the home guard in the UK in WW1 before joining the Navy Air Corps as soon as he was old enough. Last year I visited Derby and was able to create this combination of a postcard featuring my grandfather in WW1 and the same spot today. On my father's side, one of my great grandfathers was in France in WW1 and was put in hospital by a German attack despite not being at the front line - he was a baker!

I only found out recently through a visit to the town of Holbrook that Australian submarines attacked Turkey during WW1. I had no idea that we even had submarines in WW1! Gallipoli is well known, but the submarine story much less so.