Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #436
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Arnold , Thanks,
Good memories,
I was in a small farming town in Mallee area. The hobby was popular with the boys in the town.
My parents bought me a Taipan 2.5cc Diesel on a trip to Melbourne, from Hearnes' hobbies.
it was costly, and it allowed me to join the control line flying which was quite exciting , and rather disaster-prone.
I had a British book with the tech of aero modelling.
The gliders required more understanding and finesse, while the control lines required all the stuff to be glued and screwed and soldered properly.

10-06-2014, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #437
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I finally got around to do some scans. The following pics were all taken in either 1969 or 70, I honestly can't remember. So I was about 20 then and my first trip to Europe. Flying BOAC all the way. (Melbourne, Darwin, Ceylon, Beirut, Athens, Munich, London.)

I hadn't looked at these reversals for nigh on 35 years and what amazes me is how much the slides have deteriorated. The film quality in the 60th and 70th was not great. I sealed them all, as it was done in those days, between two pieces of thin glass and paper tape around the edges. But now all have acquired strange colours. Some are faded, some are all green or purple and some are even ruby red. A lot are beyond recovery. Some I managed to rescue though.

Here is a small sampling.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 12-19-2014 at 11:50 PM.
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #438
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

I finally got around to do some scans. The following pics were all taken in either 1969 or 70, I honestly can't remember. So I was about 20 then and my first trip to Europe. Flying BOAC all the way. (Melbourne, Darwin, Ceylon, Beirut, Athens, Munich, London.)

I hadn't looked at these reversals for nigh on 35 years and what amazes me is how much the slides have deteriorated. The film quality in the 60th and 70th was not great. I sealed them all, as it was done in those days, between two pieces of thin glass and paper tape around the edges. But now all have acquired strange colours. Some are faded, some are all green or purple and some are even ruby red. A lot are beyond recovery. Some I managed to rescue though.

Here is a small sampling.

Greetings
I don't know about the others, but these look terrific--very evocative for someone like me ten years younger than you, but living in Europe a few years before these were taken. Thanks for posting them!
10-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Your pictures look very good to me, and are a fine record of a time now past. About the condition of your slides, it would depend mostly on how they were stored. I think that being sealed in plastic is a problem. I say this after I placed 16mm Kodachrome movie film of my parents wedding (2 Sept 1939) in a plastic bag, only to find the film deteriorated beyond use, and smelling of vinegar some years later. Fortunately I had at least made a VHS tape (included here as appropriate to the thread)
I only wish I had had the opportunity for a decent digital copy to be made, but considering this was in Johannesburg South Africa, the day before WW2 was declared, it still presents well.

10-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
About the condition of your slides, it would depend mostly on how they were stored. I think that being sealed in plastic is a problem.
Hi
Thanks for the comment.
In the old days it was said there was no better way to preserve slides then to seal them between glass plates. And so we did. But now it turned out it may have not been the best way. The ones I have just in the open plastic or paper frames seem to have survived a bit better.

This is the way I did most of them and they were stored in a dark, dry and cool place all those years. I think a lot has to do with the chemicals which were used at the time mainly I think with the quality of the final fixation treatment because some which were developed at different labs (same film brand) are showing different survival characteristics.

Greetings

10-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #441
Site Supporter

A honeymoon shot of wife, taken with a Minolta 110 point and shoot, loaded with slide film.

Smokey Mountains, 1977.
10-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #442

On the subject of weddings, here's a tribute to the lasting qualities of b&w photos. This is a scan of a photo of my maternal grandparents on their wedding day taken on 24 February 1898, making it more than 116 years old. We still have the photo on display in a frame in our house.

Attached Images

10-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #443
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cool photos! You might want to reverse the street scene with the bus though.

QuoteQuote:
I need to get back to scanning mine - and my father's - before they deteriorate too much. The Ektachrome fades badly, but Kodachrome seems to have an incredible lifespan. Thanks for sharing some of these scenes!

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by col76 Quote
On the subject of weddings, here's a tribute to the lasting qualities of b&w photos. This is a scan of a photo of my maternal grandparents on their wedding day taken on 24 February 1898, making it more than 116 years old. We still have the photo on display in a frame in our house.
It's certainly in surprisingly good condition! I saw a demonstration of a photo restorer's work on NHK recently. He seemed to actually redevelop the original photo, though I don't understand the chemistry of what he did. The chemical bath's removed the deteriorated image -yes, the paper became almost blank - then the original image was redeveloped on the same physical paper. I'm not sure if the photo was originally sepia toned, but the result looked more like selenium. Importantly, the process brought out details that weren't visible before restoration. Scanning and restoring digitally wouldn't have produced as good a result!
10-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is yours truly in 1980 in New Zealand.

10-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #445
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is yours truly in 1980 in New Zealand.
Nice style! Certainly better than me in about 1968.

10-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
You might want to reverse the street scene with the bus though
Ha ha, just testing - I was wondering who would be the first one to notice.

(I never admit to any mistakes 'cause I never make any)
10-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #447
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ha ha, just testing - I was wondering who would be the first one to notice.
(I never admit to any mistakes 'cause I never make any)
Do I win a prize?
10-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #448
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice style! Certainly better than me in about 1968
At least you had an earlier start to the sport than I had.

Do I win a prize?
The good news:
You have won a first class trip around the world on Koryo Airways.

The bad news:
The trip got canceled because Mr Kim Jong-un needed some parts from the plane to build another rocket

Greetings
10-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #449
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At least you had an earlier start to the sport than I had.
Yep, for an Ozzie I was unusually lucky to learn how to ski - considering most of the population have never seen snow!

QuoteQuote:
The good news:
You have won a first class trip around the world on Koryo Airways.
The bad news: The trip got canceled because Mr Kim Jong-un needed some parts from the plane to build another rocket
You mean like this one I saw in KL?

(Apologies for the off-topic photo)
10-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sydney Opera House in bits

Hi

In 1967 when this photo was taken the Sydney Opera House was still mostly lying around Bennelong Point in bits and pieces.