Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #556
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Rob, looking at the job Vuescan did with dust removal, I'm pretty sure it will outperform EpsonScan, even when using ICE. I've never used ICE because it ends up reducing effective resolution. And its dust removal feature, which is an option apart from ICE you can toggle on or off, is the one I described as introducing glass-sliver looking artifacts. So VueScan probably has it all over EpsonScan when it comes to dirt and scratch removal. Now as for color correction -- first let me ask, is this a rather small crop of the original you're showing in the photo? Because the corrected image seems rather flat and noisy. Of course, I'm saying to myself, that this could be because of the severity of color degradation in the original. I don't have any 48-year-old E-6 images to try and convert. But the thirty-some-odd year old ones I've converted with EpsonScan weren't nearly as washed out looking as your example and came out looking as fresh as when they were new. They hadn't lost color as much as having it moved over to the magenta/purple side of the color scale.
Yes, the image I posted is a small portion of the full frame; I'm guessing around an eighth. I'll have to plug in the Epson again and try it with both Vuescan and Epsonscan. As I mentioned, I mainly used it for odd films which weren't 35mm. For 35mm the Nikon is simpler to use. I wish I could use the automated film strip adapter, but sadly it tends to scratch film.

01-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #557

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Thanks for the comments, because it can be such a shame for pictures to be forgotten.
Here is a couple from 1961 taken from a Super Constellation. The place is the Cocos Islands, under Australian control. They are located NW of Australia, and have been in the new lately with people smugglers. Back in the piston engine days, it was a refueling stop between South Africa and Australia. Camera was a Kodak Retinette 1a with Kodachrome 10
These two are great, especially the one of the engine/prop. You must've keep meticulous records while shooting.
01-22-2015, 12:45 AM   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3in5 Quote
These two are great, especially the one of the engine/prop. You must've keep meticulous records while shooting.
Thank you for your comment. Since the Kodak Retinette 1A was my only camera until it was stolen in 1968, not much record keeping was required. Colour film was Kodachrome, since I still have the slide I scanned. The early 10ASA Kodachrome has stood up to the years magnificently. The precise date of the picture is July 11, 1961, I never forgot the date of that flight.
01-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #559

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
And another…

Kariba Dam, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe
Pentax LX or MX
Unknown lens
Agfa CT18
4000dpi scan on Canon FS4000US
Wow, the volume of water coming out of the dam is amazing. The people on top of the dam really give it scale.

01-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #560
Site Supporter

02-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #561
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to keep this thread alive, a street picture I took in South Africa, Johannesburg in 1968. Kodak Retinette with Kodachrome.[IMG]
02-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This time I found some Kodak negatives, which I copied with my K5. I had forgotten these, taken in 1978, and this is the first time I have seen them 'printed'.
[IMG]
[IMG]

02-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This time I found some Kodak negatives, which I copied with my K5. I had forgotten these, taken in 1978, and this is the first time I have seen them 'printed'.
Nice, the second one is great!

Phil.

---------- Post added 02-21-15 at 04:02 PM ----------

Paris May, 1981. KX shooting Kodachrome 64.

Notice the parking violations:

- Opposite side of the crosswalk is blocked by three cars.
- In the foreground, the blue car is double parked along side the white four door. (The reason I took the photo, could not believe my eyes)

Phil.
02-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Notice the parking violations:
Makes an interesting picture. You could see this disorganization
in Italy also, but not likely in methodical Germany.
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice, the second one is great!
Thanks, clearly a film image.
02-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
HNL 1978 Pentax MX Kodachrome
DC8 nose Yashica Lynx 5000 Kodachrome
[IMG]
02-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

This is another Kodachrome from the late seventies. Honolulu from the end of the reef runway. Yashica Lynx 5000 scanned with the K5 at 1/30 second
03-10-2015, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #567
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pendennis Castle in Cornwall (near England) in 1986. There's a slight hint of a light leak, so this was probably just before the K1000 went in for a service.

These are shot on Agfa XR100 negative film, and I'm wondering: does anyone else find that the few modern colour negative films that still exist just aren't a match for the film stocks we used to have pre-millennium? Portra is still good, but other than that I find most modern negative stock is just yucky.

03-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #568
Veteran Member

French Flares, Vacuum Tubes, Transistors and Bare Feet.
My Tasmanian friend just unearthed and scanned on a V500 this slide he took in about 1973.

At that time I had a day job and started a moonlight side job in Sydney to help pay for an extended trip to EU.
This one was a bit Hare-Brained, trying to refurb some old punch tape machines that were destined for re-use on an island in the Pacific. It was only of marginal success, but a few of them came back to life.
Attached Images

03-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #569
Veteran Member

Heh, cool. Photos from way back like that do bring back the memories, don't they? Back in '73 I was still that skinny and had all my hair. Got a question -- on the chassis behind you, those round chrome things the size of oil filters, are those capacitors? Surely not vacuum tubes (aka valves)?
03-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #570
Veteran Member

Cool, I do not recall exactly,
The thing had servo drives on the tape reels (I think with thermionics) and a vac pump to suck the tape against the transport. I suppose it had big electros too, for the logic supply

Each of those circuit boards had discrete germanium transistors with only one or 2 logic elements.
The killer was the wire wrap back plane (not shown) and most units had either shorts or opens in that huge rats nest. We got a few units running I recall by cutting out suspect wires and replacing.

Note the metal keyboard on top, it had a cable and sat on the keyboard operator's desk, a forerunner of what we have today. I don't recall the display, but it was not a crt., maybe nixie.
Thanks for the comments.