Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #586
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Honolulu at the end of the runway. This is another negative copied by my K5 (like the one above) in the late seventies.
[/url][/IMG]

The colours and quality are far below what I achieved back in 1961 with Kodachrome 10 and a view finder camera, seen below:

The second shot has a great birds-eye view!

Phil.

03-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #587
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I thought the RS was a super looking bike with it's cowling, but I have to agree that the "rams horn" bars are not comfortable. Any way, all this bike talk had me rummaging through the old negatives again, and here is me sitting on my R100 (1978 model)
Nice one! So was that back in about 1978?

I recall reading more than once that it has been said that the BMW RS fairing is the best fairing design ever. Well, I dunno about that, but I can say this: the faster I go on that bike, the more stable it becomes. I recall cruising home on the freeway late one night, not thinking too much about speed, just having fun weaving through knots of traffic, when I looked down at the speedo only to see that I was doing 95mph. And the bike was loving it. It was rock steady at that speed. Kinda scary in a way.
03-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #588
Veteran Member

both these were taken on Long Island around 1976 with my Nikon F2 / Kodachrome II scanned with a PrimeFilm scanner and converted to B&W

03-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #589
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
both these were taken on Long Island around 1976 with my Nikon F2 / Kodachrome II scanned with a PrimeFilm scanner and converted to B&W
Wow! I'm impressed by the lack of grain! Did you do grain reduction in PP?

03-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wow! I'm impressed by the lack of grain! Did you do grain reduction in PP?
...there's almost no grain with Kodachrome II (25 ASA) especially a file this small...I processed the scan from PrimeFilm through DxO to create the B&W.
here's a similar file taken from the same roll.

05-24-2015, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #591
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ca 1967, Porsche 911, Pentax SV, Super Takumar 150mm f/4, probably 1/125 @ f/8 on Kodak Tri-X.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 05-24-2015 at 02:05 PM.
05-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #592
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Ca 1967, Porsche 911, Pentax SV, Super Takumar 150mm f/4, probably 1/125 @ f/8 on Kodak Tri-X.
Great action shot!

05-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Rob!
05-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #594
Veteran Member

Nice vintage racing photo! I agree, the blur looks about right for 1/125. I did a lot of motorsports photography during the 1980s and early 1990s. Shot slides exclusively, though.

Where was this taken? Looks like it might have been a street course.

Oh, what the hey, might as well add one of my own. This was taken at the 1986 IMSA race at the now gone Riverside International Raceway. A Group 44 Jaguar XJR-7 passing a GT-1 Camaro. Canon F-1, Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 Fujichrome 100.

Last edited by cooltouch; 05-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.
05-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Nice vintage racing photo! I agree, the blur looks about right for 1/125. I did a lot of motorsports photography during the 1980s and early 1990s. Shot slides exclusively, though.

Where was this taken? Looks like it might have been a street course.

Oh, what the hey, might as well add one of my own. This was taken at the 1986 IMSA race at the now gone Riverside International Raceway. A Group 44 Jaguar XJR-7 passing a GT-1 Camaro. Canon F-1, Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 Fujichrome 100.
IIRC, I took that shot at an airport course in Little Rock, AR. I was shooting the SCCA National Race for Autoweek which was a weekly racing paper back then. I found the print in a box I had in storage. Hopefully I can find the negatives. In that race at Riverside there would likely have been a Brumos Porsche 911 too.

I have a bunch of slides to go through but there should be some shots from the German GP and 1000 Km at the Nurburgring from '65 and '66.
05-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of images of the MarktKirche, a gate in the Roman wall, and a curio shop in Wiesbaden ca 1965. Pentax SV, Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8.

The Marktkirche built in Neo Gothic style in the early 1800s.

A gate in the wall built by the Romans.

A curio shop sellling cuckoo clocks and bier steins. The store clock was built in 1946 and was the largest cuckoo clock in the world at one time.
05-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #597
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
IIRC, I took that shot at an airport course in Little Rock, AR. I was shooting the SCCA National Race for Autoweek which was a weekly racing paper back then. I found the print in a box I had in storage. Hopefully I can find the negatives. In that race at Riverside there would likely have been a Brumos Porsche 911 too.

I have a bunch of slides to go through but there should be some shots from the German GP and 1000 Km at the Nurburgring from '65 and '66.
I'd love to see some of your old slides if/when you get a chance to locate them. While I certaintly recall the Brumos Porsche, I went back and looked at the scans I have from that race and I couldn't find one of that car. I might have one in some of the slides that weren't scanned. Speaking of Porsches, though, I do have a few. The first is the famous Lowenbrau Porsche driven by Al Holbert and Derek Bell and the second is the Bridgestone Porsche, probably my sharpest shot of the series:

05-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool shots of those Porsches.

I'll be going through my slides this week.
06-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #599
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Concord at Calgary 1978 Yashica Lynx on Kodachrome

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 17:38 ----------

Honolulu 1978 Pentax MX M50/1.7 Kodachrome

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 17:50 ----------

No longer flying: DC9, Concord (under DC9 tail), DC8 with Conway engine. Yashica Lynx 5000 Kodachrome1978
06-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #600
Veteran Member

A few weeks ago I picked up a Kodak slide carousel full of slides at the Goodwill auction site. Paid a pittance for it. I have no use for the carousel; I bought it for the slides. They displayed only a couple of the slides at the auction, and in retrospect I should have payed closer attention. Also, none of the slides appear to have been Kodachromes -- probably Ektachromes. Most had shifted color slightly toward the blue end, but in most cases I was able to restore the colors without too much trouble. The slides I got -- all 79 of 'em are "super slides" -- from 126 film, I guess it is. The camera that took the photos wasn't too bad, although I have no idea what it was. But it exposed the slides reasonably well and all the ones that were in the carousel were also in reasonably good focus. I guess that's one advantage to buying slides in carousels as opposed to boxes. The ones in the carousels have almost certainly been sorted. But they had been sitting for who knows how many decades and most are dusty, quite a few with smudges and fingerprints. All I did with them is just give them a cursory puff of air rid them of some of the surface dust before duplicating them.

When the slides arrived I was hopeful. They were all dated from April 1964 and they were from a trip an unknown couple took to Italy then. The outside of the carousel's box is labeled "4/64: Florence, Perusia -- Assisi, Rome, Cont'd #4" So, this was carousel number four out of at least four.

The weather when they were there wasn't the greatest. Several slides were shot in the rain, some with folks holding umbrellas, but most of the outdoor shots were taken under overcast skies. I've tried to pick out a few in which some blue sky was evident.

First off, here is the unknown couple at a sidewalk cafe, almost certainly American, and most likely fairly well off, considering what a trip to Italy would have cost back in 1964 (assuming they flew). None of the photos had children in them, so my guess is these two had decided to wait on their trip until the kids were grown and out on their own.

Next are a few more in no particular order. I'm not acquainted with the sights of Italy, so I'm unable to identify any of these places. Italy being Italy and all, I'm assuming that even though it is some 50 years later, most likely little of the older areas has changed.

I've some 74 more or so -- at least a few of which are halfway interesting. Let me know if you'd like to see more.