Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #706
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Some pictures of where I lived from October 1986 to summer 1987. All taken using a Pentax ME Super, either my M50/1.7 or M28/2.8 on slide film (usually cheap no-name stuff... I was a poor student at the time).
For no-name film, it seems to have survived well. Nice shots!

03-08-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #707
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At the College Ball, June 1986.

College ball par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K.
03-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #708
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
This is what I came up with without investing a lot of time and effort. Sometimes when I see images like this I take them as a challenge: Let's see if I can get that straight (and learn something new in the process). There's still too much blue in the distance for my personal taste.
To me, the blue looks natural. But by all means, try reducing it if you want. What you might also try is to -- well it depends on the post-processing software you're using -- anyway, you might try selecting an 18% gray area on the image. Most software will have the three styluses, one for white, one for gray, and one for black. I'll usually go for the gray one. Then see if you can locate something close to what you think should be 18% gray in the shot, and click on it. See what happens. Maybe you'll like the results, maybe you won't, but there's only one way to find out.
03-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #709
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
This is what I came up with without investing a lot of time and effort. Sometimes when I see images like this I take them as a challenge: Let's see if I can get that straight (and learn something new in the process). There's still too much blue in the distance for my personal taste.
This looks much better - the original had a cast which was magenta not simply blue.

03-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #710
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
To me, the blue looks natural. But by all means, try reducing it if you want. What you might also try is to -- well it depends on the post-processing software you're using -- anyway, you might try selecting an 18% gray area on the image. Most software will have the three styluses, one for white, one for gray, and one for black. I'll usually go for the gray one. Then see if you can locate something close to what you think should be 18% gray in the shot, and click on it. See what happens. Maybe you'll like the results, maybe you won't, but there's only one way to find out.
What I found out when processing my own scans of old and partially discoloured scans was that the corrections needed in specific colour channels (R,G, B) often are wildly nonlinear. So the auto functions offered in Photoshop's Curves command (which I use) in most cases will not do. I usually start by setting neutral blacks and whites and then adding as many points to each channel as are needed for a decent result.
03-18-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #711
Veteran Member

I was browsing through some of my old slides last night and ran across some photos of the Blue Angels I took when they were flying the A4 Skyhawks (they're flying F/A-18 Hornets now). So this means that the latest I could have taken these photos was 1986 because that was the last year they were flying the A4s. So I thought I'd share some with you. These are Kodachrome slides. This was several years before I discovered Pentax, so you'll have to excuse the other make used for the photos. The camera was most likey a Canon F-1 and I used a couple different lenses, a Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4 and a Sigma 600mm mirror.

Blue Angels at rest, Tamron 60-300:

Sigma 600:

Tamron 60-300:

Sigma 600:

Sigma 600:

Sigma 600:
03-20-2016, 03:46 AM   #712
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I was browsing through some of my old slides last night and ran across some photos of the Blue Angels I took when they were flying the A4 Skyhawks (they're flying F/A-18 Hornets now). So this means that the latest I could have taken these photos was 1986 because that was the last year they were flying the A4s. So I thought I'd share some with you. These are Kodachrome slides. This was several years before I discovered Pentax, so you'll have to excuse the other make used for the photos. The camera was most likey a Canon F-1 and I used a couple different lenses, a Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4 and a Sigma 600mm mirror.
Great shots! I'd post one of mine of them in 1994 in F18s except that wouldn't be in the spirit of the thread.

03-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #713
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just catching up with this thread, as I've been away for a few weeks chasing penguins.

Excellent and interesting shots, well done!

Phil.
03-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #714
Veteran Member

Thanks, Phil. Penguins -- really? Got pix?
03-27-2016, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #715
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently found this thread and found it interesting. Bwlow are two photos, the 1st is my inquisitive daughter taken in the early 1980 with my Pentax KX film camera. The second is somewhat historic, it's a picture of war hero Audie Murphy along with fellow solders he served with in Italy. My uncle served as the medic for the squad.
Attached Images

03-28-2016, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #716
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cheating a little, but half of the image is from long before 1990. In 2013 I visited Derby in the UK, where my mother's family is from. I was able to go to a spot where a photo was taken at the beginning of World War 1.

Mickleover 1915 and 2013
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

The boy behind the drummer is my Grandfather. You can see that the buildings in the background match, although the chimneys, roofing and facades have changed a bit. The photo on the left was a photographic postcard which my grandfather wrote to his step-father who was in France in the "1st Sherwood Foresters".
03-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #717
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Cheating a little, but half of the image is from long before 1990. In 2013
Actually I quite like the idea of 'then and now.' as it gives perspective to the old pictures.
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Bwlow are two photos, the 1st is my inquisitive daughter taken in the early 1980
Good "pose" with youre daughter.
03-30-2016, 05:41 AM   #718
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Good "pose" with youre daughter.
Thanks Arnold, I always loved that pose. I was lucky to have my camera that day.
04-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #719
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Bavaria but I've forgotten where ca 1966. Pentax SV, Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8, scan from a chrome.

---------- Post added 04-08-16 at 09:01 PM ----------

Innsbruck (?) ca 1966.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 04-08-2016 at 08:03 PM.
04-09-2016, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #720
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
In Bavaria but I've forgotten where ca 1966. Pentax SV, Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8, scan from a chrome.
Forgotten maybe, but without the photo, it would be total amnesia.Now you can contemplate the details of a what was a vague memory.