Phil.
Thanks, Phil.

06-09-2016, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I like the "Iscor" building shot, do you have any more info on the building?

Here is the first picture I took in 1961 of this building just outside of Pretoria, as it was being built. "Iron and Steel Corporation" (ISCOR). About ten years ago it was absorbed into the global Indian steel giant Mitel. The architecture in South Africa has always been daring and modern. I loved the complimentary contrast of the beautiful man-made, in the setting of beautiful wild nature. My father worked there as a structural engineer.
PS. Not the vignetting with the 35mm LTD. It seems most obvious in bright scenes, because in poor light it barely shows, even at f2.8
06-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote

Here is the first picture I took in 1961 of this building just outside of Pretoria, as it was being built. "Iron and Steel Corporation" (ISCOR). About ten years ago it was absorbed into the global Indian steel giant Mitel. The architecture in South Africa has always been daring and modern. I loved the complimentary contrast of the beautiful man-made, in the setting of beautiful wild nature. My father worked there as a structural engineer.
PS. Not the vignetting with the 35mm LTD. It seems most obvious in bright scenes, because in poor light it barely shows, even at f2.8
Excellent thanks for the info! Love the 60's architecture.

Phil.
06-10-2016, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #754
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some images from the Todgha oasis in southern Morocco, taken in 1983 and 1985 on Agfachrome slide film (for more technical details go to the linked Flickr pages).

Last edited by wkraus; 11-16-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Updated links
06-10-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent thanks for the info! Love the 60's architecture.

Phil.
Just to give you a taste of South African architechture, hee are a couple more shots (not mine). The first is Pretoria University, the second is the Union Buildings in Pretoria.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
06-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Just to give you a taste of South African architechture, hee are a couple more shots (not mine). The first is Pretoria University, the second is the Union Buildings in Pretoria.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
The University is brilliant, right up my alley! (The UN building in NYC is one of my all time favourites).
The Union Building is also nice, but more like a Schloss in Germany.

Thanks for posting.

Phi.
06-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Downtown L.A. August, 1977. (KX shooting Kodachrome 64)

Phil.

06-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An interesting and enjoyable thread, I will try to find some good shots to post as I dig through my archives. A lot of the images in this thread bring back memories, like gofour3 I also have family who homesteaded north of Edmonton.

For my first post in this thread I have a nondescript snapshot of the university area on the south side of Edmonton I took myself around 1980 from the apartment building built on the block where my grandmother's rooming house once stood, the house with the green porch.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Fi-5110EOXM  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
9000F  Photo 
06-27-2016, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #759
Veteran Member

I don't think I've previously posted this one from 1968/69 of my then girlfriend, now wife, near Moree in NSW. Her car - 1966 Vauxhall Viva.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LS-1000  Photo 
06-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #760
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Downtown L.A. August, 1977. (KX shooting Kodachrome 64).
My mother's first car was a similar model to that VW.

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I don't think I've previously posted this one from 1968/69 of my then girlfriend, now wife, near Moree in NSW. Her car - 1966 Vauxhall Viva.
Nice shot! Looks like the river was in flood!
06-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice shot! Looks like the river was in flood!
Yes, it was. I'm not sure if that was a creek or the Gwydir River. I worked at Moree Satellite Earth Station at the time.

I should post one of the Gascoyne River in Carnarvon, Western Australia, both before and during a flood (when I worked at Carnarvon Satellite Earth Station).
07-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #762
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, it was. I'm not sure if that was a creek or the Gwydir River. I worked at Moree Satellite Earth Station at the time. I should post one of the Gascoyne River in Carnarvon, Western Australia, both before and during a flood (when I worked at Carnarvon Satellite Earth Station).
That would be interesting to see too! Thanks for your work helping to keep our communications happening.
07-06-2016, 12:35 AM   #763
Veteran Member

Carnarvon was mainly for support of the Apollo moon flights and for Intelsat/ESA satellite launches, no public telecoms. Moree was mainly public comms. My wife worked at the NASA Tracking Station down the road at Carnarvon.

I've previously posted this image of my new 1971 Hillman Hunter at the Carnarvon Satellite Earth Station here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/23...ml#post2509790
07-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #764
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Carnarvon was mainly for support of the Apollo moon flights and for Intelsat/ESA satellite launches, no public telecoms. Moree was mainly public comms. My wife worked at the NASA Tracking Station down the road at Carnarvon. I've previously posted this image of my new 1971 Hillman Hunter at the Carnarvon Satellite Earth Station
Is there anything still at Carnarvon? As far as I know, all the NASA operations in Australia have been gathered together at Tidbinbilla here in the ACT as the third spoke in the Deep Space Network (along with Goldstone in the US and Madrid in Spain). By the way, I wasn't assuming that the work you were involved with was public telecoms. Thanks for the pointer to the previous photos. Sadly there's nothing other than concrete slabs left of the NASA station at Honeysuckle Creek which received the first images from the landing of Apollo 11. I've always been fascinated by everything to do with space, and I regularly visit Tidbinbilla to see what's on display. It amazes me that the DSN is still able to communicate with Voyager 1 and 2 after all these years. I think they are the longest running missions?

I just checked DSN Now and DSS45 is currently communicating with Juno at Jupiter at 26 Kb/s over a distance of 875 million km. Mind you, DSS14 at Goldstone is managing 3.56 Kb/s to New Horizons at a distance of 5.22 billion kilometres. I just checked, and Voyager 1 is now over 20 billion kilometres away, while Voyager 2 is "only" 16 billion km away. A signal from Voyager 1 would take 18.5 hours to travel one way from the spacecraft to earth at the speed of light. The numbers are mind boggling.

Sorry - back to your regular photography. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of Tidbinbilla from before 1990.
07-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #765
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Is there anything still at Carnarvon? As far as I know, all the NASA operations in Australia have been gathered together at Tidbinbilla here in the ACT as the third spoke in the Deep Space Network (along with Goldstone in the US and Madrid in Spain).
I believe the NASA site was bull-dozed when it became a Radio Australia short wave radio site (since closed). Carnarvon Satellite Earth Station is now a space museum.

Carnarvon Space and Technology Museum

I worked at Moree during Apollo 11