Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #766
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I believe the NASA site was bull-dozed when it became a Radio Australia short wave radio site (since closed). Carnarvon Satellite Earth Station is now a space museum.
I worked at Moree during Apollo 11
It would have been amazing to have been involved in the Apollo program in any way. I was much too young to do anything other than watch on TV and imagine where it could lead. Imagine if we'd created the future as seen in 2001 A Space Odyssey? A proper space station and a moon base by 2001. Instead we're still wasting most of our resources killing each other.

07-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #767
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's what the view from Red Hill in Canberra looked like in about 1967. The little blonde kid in the middle is me, with my brothers and grandmother.

Red Hill Circa 1967
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

And Scrivener Dam, which creates Lake Burley Griffin. I didn't realise that the dam was officially opened the year I was born.

Scrivener Dam circa 1967
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

We were on the way to the snow at Perisher Valley for a skiing holiday, and used to stop overnight in Canberra on the way. At Perisher that year, we stayed in a chalet called Edelweiss. There was a big Austrian influence in those days - most of the ski instructors were Austrian, teaching in Australia in Europe's off season.
07-16-2016, 01:58 AM - 3 Likes   #768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We found this photo of my late mother-in-law recently.

Name:  11012009558.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  86.1 KB

Nan (Nancy) died in 2012 a few weeks before her 98th birthday. I (obviously) didn't take this, but it's family and it might also be interesting because of the photographer. Nan was promotions manager at the Australian Wool Board for some years. She organised fashion shows in e.g. Paris, Tokyo, etc to promote Australian wool. She also organised photo shoots, and this was taken at one of them. Two of the photographers that she used were Helmut Newton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Newton and his business partner, Henry Talbot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Talbot_(photographer).

Nan and Henry reminisced quite often at her lunch parties in the early to mid 1980s and I have vague memories of them talking about him taking shots of her. We are pretty sure that this was a Henry Talbot photo rather than a Helmut Newton. It was a snapshot

Nan was about 50 years old here. She was beautiful in her 60s. She looked pretty good at 90.

Regards,
Richard.
07-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #769
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote

Attachment 318374

Nan (Nancy) died in 2012 a few weeks before her 98th birthday. I (obviously) didn't take this, but it's family and it might also be interesting because of the photographer. Nan was promotions manager at the Australian Wool Board for some years. She organised fashion shows in e.g. Paris, Tokyo, etc to promote Australian wool. She also organised photo shoots, and this was taken at one of them. Two of the photographers that she used were Helmut Newton https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmut_Newton and his business partner, Henry Talbot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Talbot_(photographer).

Nan and Henry reminisced quite often at her lunch parties in the early to mid 1980s and I have vague memories of them talking about him taking shots of her. We are pretty sure that this was a Henry Talbot photo rather than a Helmut Newton. It was a snapshot

Nan was about 50 years old here. She was beautiful in her 60s. She looked pretty good at 90.

Regards,
Richard.
Nice photo - although it looks like it's viewed through glass like a window? A cool shot to have.

07-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #770
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice photo - although it looks like it's viewed through glass like a window? A cool shot to have.
I think it's a shot of the original that was behind glass in a frame.
07-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #771
Veteran Member

Fascinating thread, favorited for later consultation :-)
07-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #772
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think it's a shot of the original that was behind glass in a frame.
Ah, that explains the reflection of the person at the bottom of the image.

07-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lovely looking lady, looking very elegant.
07-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #774
Veteran Member

I wanted to participate but I wasn't old enough to own a camera in 1990 : /
The pictures bellow were taken at the Kingston Tallship Challenge in July 2001 with a Kodak disposable.

1.US Brig Niagara
2.Pride of Baltimore II
3. The Bluenose II
4. The late 'SV Concordia' who sank somewhere southeast of Rio de Janeiro in 2010

07-17-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It would have been amazing to have been involved in the Apollo program in any way.
I am proud to have been involved albeit in a small way (providing comms and working at the Australian site that sent the first landing video to the USA). My wife's role was to take photos of the sun so that they could look for solar activity. Solar flares meant no EVAs for the astronauts. We have her Apollo patch somewhere around here.

A pic of the sun taken on 13th April 1972 by my wife during her time at SPAN (Solar Particle Alert Network).
Her notes on the back of the photo read:

“The clock is in GMT.
The light areas with small dark spots are active sun spots. The dark areas are past activity.
The ‘o on the clock is the approximate size of the earth relative to the sun.”
Attached Images

Last edited by p38arover; 07-18-2016 at 02:37 AM.
07-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #776
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I am proud to have been involved albeit in a small way (providing comms and working at the Australian site that sent the first landing video to the USA). My wife's role was to take photos of the sun so that they could look for solar activity. Solar flares meant no EVAs for the astronauts. We have her Apollo patch somewhere around here.
Awesome! I guess the spacecraft would provide some protection from radiation, but not a lot! More than a spacesuit would, of course. It didn't occur to me that they'd have to monitor the sun from several places to ensure 24 hour coverage. I believe they now use a satellite.

---------- Post added 18-07-16 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
The pictures bellow were taken at the Kingston Tallship Challenge in July 2001 with a Kodak disposable.

1.US Brig Niagara
2.Pride of Baltimore II
3. The Bluenose II
4. The late 'SV Concordia' who sank somewhere southeast of Rio de Janeiro in 2010
Some lovely sailing ships! Thanks for posting!
07-18-2016, 02:26 AM   #777
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Attachment 318374

Regards,
Richard.
Pretty women , no doubt
07-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
Well at least you have provided some historical input, as well as used an historic camera.:-)
07-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are a couple twenty years apart of the same scene. Pretoria S.A. 1961 Retinette and the M28mm/2.8 with an MX in 1981 Kodachromes

You can see the Voortrekker Monument on the distant hills as a reference. Notice the increase in buildings as well.

Last edited by arnold; 07-19-2016 at 05:19 PM.
07-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #780
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Here are a couple twenty years apart of the same scene. Pretoria S.A. 1961 Retinette and the M25mm/2.8 with an MX in 1981 Kodachromes

You can see the Voortrekker Monument on the distant hills as a reference. Notice the increase in buildings as well.
Nice, I bet the area has even more new buildings now. Probably would be hard to recognize!

Phil.