Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #901
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
I was in the British Army for 3 years 1955-58 , Royal Army Medical Corps as a Path Lab Technician -- one posting was to BMH Berlin in the Spandau area. I had brought my British 'Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model II' and later I bought in Berlin a Zeiss CONTAX III with un-coated 50mm f1.5 Sonnar lens. I used German Agfa film and paper .. There was a darkroom in the Red Shield Club in the British Sector and I left a strip of 4 negs in the enlarger the night before i was due to go to the British Zone, BMH Iserl ohn -- I had one poor print of the Brandenburg Gate which I have scanned -- that was on the lost strip
BMH Berlin from the 'Haunted Gallery'

The Guard Post -- that is ME aged 19 with the Specs !

Brandenburg Gate with the Russian Flag on top !

Kurfurstendam 1957 -- the area where the Christmas Market terrorist attack took place -- I scanned a 'toned' print

Russian War Memorial just inside the British Sector -- so the Russians could see what was going on. There are BODIES inside that Tank still
Superb historical serie. It prooves this thread is for me one of the most relevant ones on the forums: the historical role of photography as the memory of the 19th, 20th and ongoing and coming centuries can be retraced by these superb snaps. I just love it.

02-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
Except for the red flag, nothing has changed since (even the cars).
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
Love that second shot. Didn't look much different when I was there in the mid 80's.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Nice shots, Phil. First one is the best IMO
Thanks guys!

What I remember most about Red Square were the long lineups to see Lenin's tomb. Wonder if the long queues vanished after the USSR broke up?

Phil.
02-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #903
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhmimac Quote
It is just perfect, no need to change anything imho

Thanks. I would still have liked to see what it had looked like with a slight white balance tweak.. Might not have improved it, but still.
02-12-2017, 01:42 AM   #904
Pentaxian

A few shots from 1975 out in a boat in heavy snowfall (Kodachrome 64)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #905
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
A few shots from 1975 out in a boat in heavy snowfall (Kodachrome 64)
Pleasing, natural looking shots in difficult conditions. My preferences for photos is for the simple unprocessed look. I don't mind PP being used for corrections, but the finished product should not lose its natural aspect. (I have really gone off obvious HDR and colour manipulations)
02-19-2017, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #906
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vienna, 1977. Asahi Pentax SP 500, Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 Auto or Super-Takumar 1:2/55, Ilford HP5 film/Microphen developer (crossposted from "Just Black and White-ur B/W Monochrome photos here" thread)

03-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #907
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
This was shot in autumn 1990, does it qualify?

Shot on film, Ricoh XR2s with M 40~80 zoom.

03-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #908
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I know I am pushing things. Shot on black and white spring 1991.

Shot on film, Ricoh XR2s with M 40~80 zoom.

03-11-2017, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
This was shot in autumn 1990, does it qualify?
Well the film was probably made before 1990 so it scrapes in. Good to see the old sports car so dressy.
03-12-2017, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #910
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

This one was in the fall of 1989. Same camera and lens as the other Z photos. The same car too. Sort of a 'before' shot. It was actually a driving and running car when I bought it. It has racing history beginning in 1979. It had a half dozen other owners before me, but I only knew the one just prior to me. It also had 8 different colors of paint under the Clown Car colors it had when I picked it up. I stripped it to the bare shell, built a proper roll cage, and went out and started winning races. I won the regional championship for my class in '97, which got me an invite to the West Coast Runoffs, but I exhausted my race budget just to win the regional title, so I stayed home and prepared for the next season.

03-12-2017, 04:31 AM   #911
Pentaxian

Two shots from 1971. Spotmatic and 50mm/f2. Kodachrome 64
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
03-12-2017, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
This one was in the fall of 1989. Same camera and lens as the other Z photos. The same car too. Sort of a 'before' shot. It was actually a driving and running car when I bought it. It has racing history beginning in 1979. It had a half dozen other owners before me, but I only knew the one just prior to me. It also had 8 different colors of paint under the Clown Car colors it had when I picked it up. I stripped it to the bare shell, built a proper roll cage, and went out and started winning races. I won the regional championship for my class in '97, which got me an invite to the West Coast Runoffs, but I exhausted my race budget just to win the regional title, so I stayed home and prepared for the next season.

I admire your constructive efforts on this restoration. I hope it is still around.
03-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #913
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I admire your constructive efforts on this restoration. I hope it is still around.
Thanks Arnold.

And yes, the car is still around. I raced it almost continuously for more than 10 years, then scaled things back a bit to design and build my house. The last time I had the car out I took it down to Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, California, in 2001 I think. It was a double race meet, a 3 day event, practice and qualifying on Saturday, and racing on Sunday and Monday over the Labor Day holiday weekend. I was running two different classes, to get the most on track time possible.

During one of the races one of the two fuel pumps at the fuel cell failed. I have a double fuel pump delivery system with surge tanks to ensure there is no fuel starvation during cornering. With only one pump functioning the car still ran but would starve for fuel and run lean while negotiating long turns. It burned several pistons, scored the cylinder walls and as a result of detonation broke the crankshaft. Since I was getting ready to dial things back to devote time to design and build a home I simply parked it in the shop and covered it up.

It will run again, soon.
03-13-2017, 12:48 AM - 3 Likes   #914
Veteran Member

Well, Racer X's posts showing his cool looking Z car got me to thinking about my racing photos, and I'm pretty sure I still have some from the 1986 IMSA race at Riverside International Raceway that I haven't posted here yet. I was shooting Fujichrome 100 for this event. So, here goes.

A March 83G hurtling down RIR's back stretch at over 200 mph. Taken with a Canon F-1 and Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4.

A Group 44 Jaguar XJR7 coming out of Turn 9. Canon A-1, Canon FD 200mm f/2.8.

The same Group 44 Jag passing a GT-1 Camaro

Race fans checking out the action along RIR's back stretch.

I have more shots from this race, but I don't think I have any others digitized yet.
03-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #915
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice set of images Michael! The sound of the cars must have been terrific. I understand that RIR is now a housing development.