Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #931
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arjay, I look forward to seeing your pics once you get them scanned.

Rob, I assumed the same thing -- that the Van's engine size was 550cc. Which seems about right, given its size. Kinda reminds me of the very first Hondas imported into the US back in the early 70s. They had air cooled engines that were about 500cc in displacement, as I recall. I almost bought one back in the early 80s. It was the sport model, not that sort of wagon one. Cute, but I'm glad I didn't buy it. Parts probably would have been a headache.

Oh, the "sidewalk" above, I'm thinking is probably a street. But at that point in time, there was only foot traffic. When I visited Taiwan about a decade later, I saw many "streets" that we would consider to be sidewalks. Except they had vehicular traffic -- especially scooters.

Your 2002 shots, if they're film, you can always put some up in the 'Lets see those "film" shots' thread. Looking forward to seeing some.

03-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #932
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I was going through the set of slides I took when I went to Japan way back in 1983 and I realized there are lots that I haven't posted here before. Back in January, 2015, I posted several of my best shots in the thread 'Lets see those "film" shots'. Here are links to a two-part message in that thread. My posts are 10701 and 10710 on page 714.

:cool: Lets see those ''film'' shots - Page 714 - PentaxForums.com

I found Japan's street scenes to be interesting, perhaps just because of their rather claustrophobic nature. Here are a few:

More of a sidewalk than a street, really

A cute little van. So why this van? Because it was so tiny. It might not look so in the photo, but check out how big the license plate is compared to the vehicle it's mounted on.

The cameras I used were a Canon A-1 and AE-1. I had three lenses back then: a nFD 50/1.8 and two Albinars -- a crappy 28mm f/2.8 and a surprisingly good 80-200mm f/3.9.

The slides are all Fujichrome 400, which I had developed in Japan. These images are duplicates I shot using my Sony NEX 7 @ ISO 100 and a dupe rig which includes a 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor as the taking lens. I shot the dupes in RAW mode and used Photoshop's excellent raw converter to convert to jpg. Photoshop's raw converter is so full-featured that very little post processing is left to do by the time the file is converted.

I'll post more soon.
Those Japan shots and the ones on the link just made my day. I bid you good day, Cooltouch-sempai. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ)
03-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #933
Veteran Member

Glad I could do it, Helios!
03-22-2017, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #934
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I saw many "streets" that we would consider to be sidewalks.
Even over thirty years ago, I remember a video commentary on the rules of buying a car in Tokyo. They sent a fellow out to measure your parking space, and if it wan't sufficient, then "no car for you" (apologies to Seinfeld)

03-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #935
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Even over thirty years ago, I remember a video commentary on the rules of buying a car in Tokyo. They sent a fellow out to measure your parking space, and if it wan't sufficient, then "no car for you" (apologies to Seinfeld)
It's still the case that you can't buy a car in Japan without owning a parking space for it. Not just in Tokyo. When I worked in a "rural" city, I had a designated parking space for my car.

---------- Post added 24-03-17 at 08:50 AM ----------

Rob, I assumed the same thing -- that the Van's engine size was 550cc. Which seems about right, given its size. Kinda reminds me of the very first Hondas imported into the US back in the early 70s. They had air cooled engines that were about 500cc in displacement, as I recall. I almost bought one back in the early 80s. It was the sport model, not that sort of wagon one. Cute, but I'm glad I didn't buy it. Parts probably would have been a headache.
I think Honda and Suzuki started out making cars using engines they already had for motorbikes. Toyota started out making cars and trucks (although the owner original made his money building automatic looms).

QuoteQuote:
Oh, the "sidewalk" above, I'm thinking is probably a street. But at that point in time, there was only foot traffic. When I visited Taiwan about a decade later, I saw many "streets" that we would consider to be sidewalks. Except they had vehicular traffic -- especially scooters.
My frustration in the countryside in Japan was the lack of footpaths, combined with narrow roads!

QuoteQuote:
Your 2002 shots, if they're film, you can always put some up in the 'Lets see those "film" shots' thread. Looking forward to seeing some.
Thanks! I posted a few.
03-31-2017, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are a bit "new" for this thread, but suit it never the less.

Sudan 1996 (Kodachrome/Pentax KX):

Phil.
04-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
These are a bit "new" for this thread, but suit it never the less.

Sudan 1996 (Kodachrome/Pentax KX):

Phil.
Kodachrome should have special dispensation as far as date is concerned.
I doubt things have improved where you took the photos. The news is never good from that part of the world.

04-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #938
Veteran Member

Here's my parents at their respective First Communion in the early 60's.

04-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
Here's my parents at their respective First Communion in the early 60's.

Good family records .Which are your parents, the kids or the adults?
04-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #940
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Good family records .Which are your parents, the kids or the adults?
The kids
04-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #941
Forum Member

Well, Racer X's posts showing his cool looking Z car got me to thinking about my racing photos, and I'm pretty sure I still have some from the 1986 IMSA race at Riverside International Raceway that I haven't posted here yet. I was shooting Fujichrome 100 for this event. So, here goes.

A March 83G hurtling down RIR's back stretch at over 200 mph. Taken with a Canon F-1 and Tamron SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4.

A Group 44 Jaguar XJR7 coming out of Turn 9. Canon A-1, Canon FD 200mm f/2.8.

The same Group 44 Jag passing a GT-1 Camaro

Race fans checking out the action along RIR's back stretch.

I have more shots from this race, but I don't think I have any others digitized yet.
fujichrome 100 + SP 60-300mm f/3.8-5.4. on manual focus. Compare this to the current high iso madness and I only can say you are a very good photog!
04-04-2017, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #942
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words. I was doing freelance motorsports photography back then, so I was having a great time at that race.

Regarding the combination you mention, there was a trick to doing that sort of shot. I prefocused on a specific point on the track, then tripped the shutter at the precise point of best focus as I panned along with the car. Even though that Tamron zoom was kinda slow, as was the Fujichrome, if you keep in mind the exposure situation just using the sunny f/16 rule, correct exposure was 1/125 at f/16. I was probably shooting at 1/125 to blur the wheels and the background, which means I had the Tamron set to f/16. So I had a decent amount of depth of field to work with.

I'm still amazed that I pulled off that shot of the March 83G though. If you look at the slide, you can see that the car really did fill the entire frame. There was a lot of luck involved with that shot.
04-05-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There was a lot of luck involved with that shot.
This one was a lot easier as the car was rather slow. Yashica Lynx 5000 on Kodachrome 1973
04-05-2017, 10:52 PM - 3 Likes   #944
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A page or so back I mentioned scanning some shots from Japan in the late 80s. Here are a few:

Shinjuku on a Summer Sunday afternoon - the streets are closed to traffic but the shops remain open. Deep shadow caused by the tall buildings.

Recycling newspapers and comic books and old futon bedding. Donors are given toilet paper rolls in return. Not so uncommon sight now but was in 1983!

Impressive use of space here with a rice paddy squeezed in between the outer suburb train platform I took the picture from and the houses and road a little further off.
Rice is purchased by the local cooperative. Can't imagine the farmer earning an income from the crop but heavy subsidization apparently helped the bottom line.

Possibly have shown this one before - a tea ceremony at a friends house - my knees and child's legs in the mirror behind.

04-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Can't imagine the farmer earning an income from the crop but heavy subsidization apparently helped the bottom line.
Subsidies have caused distortion in the market. Interesting record, good lighting on the last one..