Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2017, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #946
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I apologize in advance for the sudden change in direction from the serenity of the previous images.

Continuing to dig through old slides and found some images I took in the early to mid 80's at an IPSC shooting competition on a bitterly cold and grey day. Kind of a historical document now as the range has been swallowed up by changes in regulations and the growth of the city of Calgary. I'm not sure what lens I was using at the time, possibly my A 135 as I doubt I was close enough in these shots to be using a 50. Scanned with default VueScan settings, no PP, cropped some background out of the leaping the barrier shot.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection4870  Photo 
04-10-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #947
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This one was a lot easier as the car was rather slow. Yashica Lynx 5000 on Kodachrome 1973
Looks like this was shot in B.C. ?

Phil.

---------- Post added 10-04-17 at 12:19 ----------

This shot was taken in the summer of 1976 in East Berlin, from the TV tower in Alexanderplatz. The intersection is also in East Berlin and the old buildings in the top of the picture are just in front of the wall. (If my directions are correct).

(Kodachrome 64, Pentax KX & K135/3.5)

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 04-10-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Typo
04-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #948
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks like this was shot in B.C. ?
Yes, near White Rock, but town houses now cover this area. Nothing stays the same.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This shot was taken in the summer of 1976 in East Berlin,
You were brave putting yourself at the mercy of a dictatorship. I bet that area has also undergone huge changes.
04-11-2017, 12:48 AM - 3 Likes   #949
Pentaxian

First time on a ski slope

In 1974 I for the first time went with two friends to the ski resort Åre in the north of Sweden. They skied, I walked the slopes with my Spotmatic loaded with Kodachrome 64.
Here are a couple of shots showing a guy far more daring than me. I walked down.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
04-11-2017, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #950
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
taken in 1906 in Odessa.
Good quality pictures over a hundred years old. Yet today we hear of folks who feel their equipment holds them back. What would they have done back then without auto focus, high ISO and slow frame rates?
Just think, the Communist revolution was only ten years in the future when that was taken.
05-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #951
Pentaxian

A couple of shots from beginning of the 70's taken in Stockholm. Spotmatic SP, Soligor 300mm/f4 and Kodachrome 64
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SPOTMATIC  Photo 
05-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #952
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This one was a lot easier as the car was rather slow. Yashica Lynx 5000 on Kodachrome 1973
I see a very nice artistic possibility with that image.

05-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #953
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
My Toyota pickup, shortly after I painted it. Late 1980's.

05-17-2017, 02:53 AM - 5 Likes   #954
Veteran Member

A Couple of Still Lifes from the 80s

This first one was a still life I constructed -- a photojournalist theme. Canon F-1, Canon nFD 50mm f/3.5 macro, flash bounced out of an umbrella, Fujichrome 100. Circa 1989.

White camilia. Canon F-1, Canon nFD 50mm f/3.5 macro, Kodachrome 25. Circa 1989.

Dead tree, Kern River, Bakersfield, California. Canon FTb, Canon FL 35mm f/2.5, Kodachrome 64, 1984
06-07-2017, 08:36 AM - 3 Likes   #955
Pentaxian

I have scanned some old Family Photos to upload to my 'Family Tree' so i can show a few here -----
My Dad on May 6th Jubilee day 1935, My Parent's Wedding, my Sister who died 1936 age 6 months before I was born, My 'Pop' ( Grandad on Mum's side ) we used to stand outside the Air-Raid Shelter watching the Germans V the British in the sky until we got 'Told Off '
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
07-15-2017, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #956
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From a trip to Andalusia in 1981 with my MX and 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/4 smc Pentax-M lenses:

Cordoba, Pentax MX, M 28mm, Ilford HP5 film/ID-11 1+1 developer (negative copied using Pentax K-1 with smc Pentax-D FA 50mm Macro)

The album from the trip is here: Cordoba, 1981 (B&W film) | Flickr
07-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #957
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
negative copied using Pentax K-1 with smc Pentax-D FA 50mm Macro
I enjoy that staircase image and wonder, when you copied the neg whether you have a dedicated holder or do you have a light table and way of holding negs flat - curious as I have a couple of films to be scanned.
07-16-2017, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #958
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I enjoy that staircase image and wonder, when you copied the neg whether you have a dedicated holder or do you have a light table and way of holding negs flat - curious as I have a couple of films to be scanned.
Thanks Arjay! I thought about writing a detailed explanation of the process but that will take some time. Over the last weeks, I did a lot of testing in the context of a digital archive project at my institution. I have access to Nikon LS-9000 and Hasselblad X-1 scanners but found that copying with the K-1 in pixelshift mode gives superior results for normal negatives. The short version: the Nikon scanner has depth of field issues even with the glass holder and is limited to 400 dpi resolution. The Hasselblad scanner is hard to beat resolution-wise but takes much longer to scan in optimum resolution. Apart from that, it tends to over-emphasize film grain and scratches. It has a clear edge with slides as it handles the contrast range better than the camera. I suspect it will be better with extremely high resolution and fine grain films (e.g., Technical Pan). But with the standard films I tested (both B&W and colour negative) the K-1 produces the same sharpness with less grain and scratches in a fraction of the time.

I put the camera on a copy stand and use a Novoflex focusing rack for precise focus. Illumination is provided by a light box with an opal glass plate a few centimeters above. On the plate the film sits in a glassless negative holder from an old Durst enlarger. I also tested the enlarger as a light source but it has not advantage over the light box and is more difficult to handle with my copy stand. It takes me less than half an hour to copy a film with 36 images. PP takes some time too; most negatives need a fairly strong S curve for appropriate contrast.
07-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #959
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
PP takes some time too; most negatives need a fairly strong S curve for appropriate contrast.
Thank you for the comments - they are sufficient to answer my request.
I have a stand and a light box but no K1 - will try anyway as the consumer level canon flat bed scanner I have access to is relatively low resolution and only works with Win XP software so it is a pain to use the old laptop that is needed. But I can use the negative holder that came with it over the light box. I will try using a macro Takumar 50mm lens to take the image - not sure how flat a field of view that lens has but worth experimenting anyway. Could switch to a 100mm Macro Takumar and test the difference - again thank you for your feedback.
07-30-2017, 08:09 PM   #960
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
I have scanned some old Family Photos to upload to my 'Family Tree' so i can show a few here -----
My Dad on May 6th Jubilee day 1935, My Parent's Wedding, my Sister who died 1936 age 6 months before I was born, My 'Pop' ( Grandad on Mum's side ) we used to stand outside the Air-Raid Shelter watching the Germans V the British in the sky until we got 'Told Off '
Classic B&W photos! It took me a minute to figure out that GR stood for George Rex. Thanks for posting.

---------- Post added 31-07-17 at 01:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
This first one was a still life I constructed -- a photojournalist theme. Canon F-1, Canon nFD 50mm f/3.5 macro, flash bounced out of an umbrella, Fujichrome 100. Circa 1989.
OK, I see the Japanese dictionary, but some of the coins look like they are perhaps from Hong Kong? Interesting pic!