Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I took these in East/West Berlin in the summer of 1976 with my Pentax KX shooting Kodachrome 64.
When you took those, who would have thought that in six years, they would be history. That is what this thread is about - the changing world, and what better way than to record it with a camera
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
Here is a photo taken by my father of the family boat the Kitnayakwa.
What a beautiful old boat, and so is the lady whoever she is. How come you ended up selling it after all that history?

10-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
You did a good job with that system of scanning. Your pictures were taken when the country was still known as Rhodesia. (I was also in Rhodesia in 1981)
Must have my dates wrong then, as I know my father was there just after independence on 18 Apr 80?
10-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Birdsville is a settlement on the edge of the Simpson Desert, located in the Channel Country of Central West Queensland, Australia. It is 1590 kilometres west of the state capital, Brisbane, and 720 kilometres south of the city of Mount Isa
This picture was taken in 1965 on Kodachrome with a Retinette. The runway is simply a cleared area surrounded with white markers (now a sealed strip). We parked the DC3 near the end of the runway. outside the famous Birdsville Pub.

Original size here>http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/10096228383_1bdb384cd2_o.jpg
10-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #154
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Birdsville is a settlement on the edge of the Simpson Desert, located in the Channel Country of Central West Queensland, Australia. It is 1590 kilometres west of the state capital, Brisbane, and 720 kilometres south of the city of Mount Isa. This picture was taken in 1965 on Kodachrome with a Retinette. The runway is simply a cleared area surrounded with white markers (now a sealed strip). We parked the DC3 near the end of the runway. outside the famous Birdsville Pub.
What an amazing experience that must have been! One of these days I'll drive to that part of the Outback. Cool piece of photographic history!

BTW I did get photos of Connie in the air today.

10-05-2013, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #155
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I promise I will find more photos from prior to 1990. In the meantime however, in the spirit of the thread, here's a shot of Connie the Super Constellation doing a flypast over Sydney harbour. Great job, HARS!

10-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
here's a shot of Connie the Super Constellation doing a flypast over Sydney harbour. Great job, HARS!
Good capture, and nice to see the old bird still flying. I have a video of the story of it's restoration, which is remarkable. It was found in a USA scrap yard where it had been ignored as too contaminated with bird poop to break up. For years, Australian volunteers flew to the US to work on restoring it, and eventually flying it back to Australia.
10-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #157
Veteran Member

To continue the Dirt Bike theme, here is my last bike, 1983 Suzuki RM 125.

Here is a shot I took at the Flat River Grand Prix, late 80s

And one from the 1988 Hot Dog Shootout at Finger Lakes park in Columbia , Missouri.

Last edited by Stratman; 10-05-2013 at 03:06 PM.
10-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #158
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good capture, and nice to see the old bird still flying. I have a video of the story of it's restoration, which is remarkable. It was found in a USA scrap yard where it had been ignored as too contaminated with bird poop to break up. For years, Australian volunteers flew to the US to work on restoring it, and eventually flying it back to Australia.
I can report that I saw no sign of such contamination now!
10-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Here is a shot I took at the Flat River Grand Prix, late 80s
Looks like the guys on the opposite side are saying "what took you so long?" As I have got older, these risky activities start to scare me about getting hurt. I am just amazed at what can be done on a motorcycle.
10-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #160
Pentaxian

BERLIN !!! I was there in the British Army 1956-58 when I was 19 -21 years old !! I have some B&W photos taken then but NOT on PENTAX but in my British Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model II with the 75mm f3.4 Ross Xpres lens -- I used AGFA film and used to do enlargements on an old enlarger in the darkroom of the 'Red Shield Club' in 'Adolf Hitlerplatz' -- it was re-named for some reason ----- I left a strip of negatives in the enlarger carrier the day before I was moved to Iserlohn in the Britsh Zone so have NO photo of the Brandenburg Gate as you have shown .
This is 'similar' to the camera I used, but this is the Model I with 75mm f4.5 Ensar lens

The Russian War memorial just inside the British Sector -- it is said it was taken off the street complete with dead crew inside

THe Reichstag as it was in about 1956. all bullet holes still !

The Kurfurstendamm with the famous Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in ruins

This is ME when I was 21 in the Royal Army Medical Corps in Iserlohn, Britsh Zone taken on my Ensign Selfix 16/20 model II

10-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
BERLIN !!! I was there in the British Army 1956-58 when I was 19 -21 years old !! I have some B&W photos taken then but NOT on PENTAX but in my British Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model II with the 75mm f3.4 Ross Xpres lens -- I used AGFA film and used to do enlargements on an old enlarger in the darkroom of the 'Red Shield Club' in 'Adolf Hitlerplatz' -- it was re-named for some reason ----- I left a strip of negatives in the enlarger carrier the day before I was moved to Iserlohn in the Britsh Zone so have NO photo of the Brandenburg Gate as you have shown .
This is 'similar' to the camera I used, but this is the Model I with 75mm f4.5 Ensar lens

The Russian War memorial just inside the British Sector -- it is said it was taken off the street complete with dead crew inside

THe Reichstag as it was in about 1956. all bullet holes still !

The Kurfurstendamm with the famous Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in ruins

This is ME when I was 21 in the Royal Army Medical Corps in Iserlohn, Britsh Zone taken on my Ensign Selfix 16/20 model II

Really enjoyed these, Pete!
10-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
BERLIN !!! I was there in the British Army 1956-58 when I was 19 -21 years old !!
Thank you for contributing these. Without records like this people soon will forget what the past was like. Your old camera was the standard design of cameras of that era. Folders disappeared by the mid sixties with the ascendency of 35mm. Their medium size format did well with the relatively simple lenses they used. Most were three element and some were the four element Tessar type.
10-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
South Africa: Not all change is for the best. Here is a sequence of the changes to the house we had. First picture is 1961, second is twenty years later 1981. The last two show how the the whole country has retreated behind walls due to the now rampant crime. The gardens on the sidewalk are gone.
10-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
White Rock, in BC Canada is in sight of the Peace Arch border crossing. When this picture (needs a better scan) was taken in the late seventies (Pentax MX), White Rock was still an undiscovered sleepy town - once a holiday cabin area. It has now become very trendy with no more street parking, but plenty of places to eat. Paid parking is at a premium now.
Attached Images

10-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is something much changed. The professional racing bike. This is a 1980 Cinelli, a hand made Italian work of art. While technology has rendered this steel beauty uncompetitive, it's quality is unsurpassed.
Pentax MX, 50mm f1.7, Kodachrome.