Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 791 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #301
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Thanks for your appreciation! I went there again a while ago--the place has not changed a lot in the almost 40 years.
That's good to know! I visited Salzburg in 1982, so it's been over 30 years for me!

02-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #302
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Must have my dates wrong then, as I know my father was there just after independence on 18 Apr 80?
Just to let you know I had MY dates wrong. I was there in 1971-2 and Rhodesia became Zimbabwe June 1979.
02-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #303
Pentaxian

Me when I was in the 11th East Ham Senior Scouts aged about 16 taken by my Mum on my 1950's British Ensign Selfix 16/20
Model II and 'DUFAYCOLOR' an 'Additve Color' process. Actually B&W film coated behind a 'reseau' of RED Green Blue and the light went through the reseau first, breaking it up like on a TV Screen into the RGB colours. If you got a batch of film that was 6 ASA you were lucky !

Corporal Elgar ( RAMC) in 1958 when I was 21 -- taken in grounds of the British Military Hospital, Iserlohn, Germany
Selfix 16/20 Model II with Agfa Isopan film self-processed in the Hospital Laboratory

02-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
Me when I was in the 11th East Ham Senior Scouts aged about 16 taken by my Mum on my 1950's British Ensign Selfix 16/20
Model II and 'DUFAYCOLOR' an 'Additve Color' process. Actually B&W film coated behind a 'reseau' of RED Green Blue and the light went through the reseau first, breaking it up like on a TV Screen into the RGB colours. If you got a batch of film that was 6 ASA you were lucky !
Very interesting about the colours, and it give a very different look that is quite nice. 6 ASA is even slower than the Kodachrome 10 I used to use.

02-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #305
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
Must be the same principle as the classic Autochrome process that was marketed by the Lumiere company from 1907 onward. OT: for a classic corpus of work by one of the pioneers of the Autochrome process, see Gabriel Veyre.
02-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In the mid sixties, we flew a charter to what was then Portuguese East Timor. A few years later it was invaded by Indonesia and five Australian journalists were killed, some say murdered during this time. Timore, with the help of the international community was later able to declare it's independence, but not before another brutal war ensued. The DC3 picture is from the happier times, and was taken by me without benefit of flash bulb, with a Kodak Retinette 1A 50mm/f3.5. As a result it is dark, but shows enough to capture the inside of a charted DC3 with 21 Passengers.

---------- Post added 07-02-14 at 09:27 ----------

Here is a scene from Timor in 1966. The woman is not only making cloth, but also the thread used in the cloth.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CanoScan 5400F/5200F  Photo 

Last edited by arnold; 02-06-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Added picture
02-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #307
Veteran Member

1987 Skiing in Gulmarg, Kashmihr, India. These shots where taken with Indian off the shelf BW film with K1000, 50mm F2. was usually underexposed 1 or 2 stops, the negative have been missed up a bit.

Got snowed in for a month, arrived there in early December and got three metres of snow in four or so days. Took a week for the snow to firm up a bit to start walking, the roads where not opened until Christmas. Was a lot of fun and wonderful place to visit.

The first photo is a American Guy, was visiting with Rotary Club from New York State if remember correctly. He was keen for me to catch his Telemark turns in the powder, I promised to send a picture but never did, was along time in getting processed and lost the address. Hopefully he may get this now.

The other shots are from the same day and the American guy on the same run, was fast as I could crank the K1000 and focus with metering adjustment as well. The good old days

PS, no PP retouch on second shot as yet.

Attached Images

02-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #308
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just once I'd like to ski on snow like that! I had no idea that anyone skiied in India.
02-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #309
Veteran Member

Yes, skiing in India, was at that time in Gulmarg lifted to nearly 3000 mtrs. Plenty of powder and very cheap, was a Dollar day for lift ticket and ski hire in 1986.
02-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Found these two slides taken with my MX and a 55mm Pentax lens, in 1977, We used to fly near to Lord Howe Island (31*31' South, under Australian jurisdiction) on our way North from Sydney to Fiji, Honolulu and home to Vancouver.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

02-22-2014, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #311
Veteran Member

Arnold, you must have had a good time flying and taking pictures, sweet job. Would like to visit Lord Howe one day.
02-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sweet job indeed. The early years were wonderful, before the masses took to the air and air rage became a new word. As well, it would have been inconceivable imagining travelers being put through the inconveniences we see today. Yes, I have many happy memories of those times, and always felt privileged for that life. It was not all gravy though, we were checked for proficiency three times a year - basically applying for our job each time - "keep doing it until you get it wrong". Then there were the medicals which could end your career as well. Training was intense, and there were those who fell by the way, for example, moving from the right to the left seat. Keeping up with ever changing regulations and technology was another factor which could blunt the joy of the job. Time zones and sleep patterns were hard on the body. However, while the "job" became increasingly regulated, flying the non computerized airliners was always a joy. I feel sorry for the new generation of pilots who have missed the golden age of air travel.
02-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #313
Veteran Member

When did you finish up as a Commercial Pilot? If you don't mind me asking. I do not know a real lot about propped aircraft but rode on a few in the early 80's around Queensland and NSW. They were turbo props mostly then what I recall.
02-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
When did you finish up as a Commercial Pilot? If you don't mind me asking. I do not know a real lot about propped aircraft but rode on a few in the early 80's around Queensland and NSW. They were turbo props mostly then what I recall.
This where it started, 1954. I retired twenty years ago with Canadian Airlines International.
Attached Images

02-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #315
Veteran Member

Arnold, that was good career and a lot miles covered I would guess.