Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #1081
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Some of the pieces in the War Memorial here in Canberra have battle damage left in place. Is the plane a Halifax? Anyway, that's a lot of missions. The Lancaster here in Canberra flew more, but it was unbelievably lucky. Was it a French crew, or a Quebecois crew?
Quebecois crew and that's a Halifax...I think Dad did two tours.

03-03-2019, 06:52 PM - 6 Likes   #1082
Pentaxian

This one from 1977 taken with my Spotmatic 1000 and probably the Tak 105. A friend gazing in wonder, his first sight, from Algiers Point, of the river traffic on the Mississippi. I was pretty blase about it, having spent summers in NO with my grandparents, who lived just next to the Algiers courthouse, a half block from the ferry landing.

03-12-2019, 08:11 PM - 8 Likes   #1083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vietnam Circa 1969

Yours truly and my door gunner with his trusty mini gun! We could fire our full compliment of 4,000 rounds of 7.62 ammunition in 60 seconds but we usually shot in short bursts and selected 2,000 shots per minute. Depending on what we engaged at night, we rearmed sometimes four or five times per night. Captured with a Konica Auto S2 range finder and who know what 35 mm film.
Attached Images

03-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #1084
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Vietnam Circa 1969
Wow!!

03-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #1085
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yours truly and my door gunner with his trusty mini gun! We could fire our full compliment of 4,000 rounds of 7.62 ammunition in 60 seconds but we usually shot in short bursts and selected 2,000 shots per minute. Depending on what we engaged at night, we rearmed sometimes four or five times per night. Captured with a Konica Auto S2 range finder and who know what 35 mm film.
Wow!

What were you flying?

Steve
03-13-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #1086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow!

What were you flying?

Steve
Steve, I flew a heavily armed UH-1H Huey. We flew exclusively at night at low level with our lights on flash bright so we would be very visible. We had either an AH-1G Cobra gun cover over head with their lights out. On certain occasions either a AC-119G Shadow or an AC-130A or H Gunship flew cover for us. We were pretty effective until the VC decided the had better not engage that low flying helicopter or some bad things would happen to them. We would engage the VC basically to mark the target for the gun cover then call an abrupt turn while the Cobra was rolling in on the target.
03-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #1087
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
or not to scan is the question. It seems better results when scanning from a photo rather than slide?
At least with the V600...
Detail degrades each time you copy a copy, and color depth / tone depth tends to degrade.

Slide is the original.
Photo is a copy of the original.

03-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #1088
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or not to scan is the question. It seems better results when scanning from a photo rather than slide?
At least with the V600...
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Detail degrades each time you copy a copy, and color depth / tone depth tends to degrade.

Slide is the original.
Photo is a copy of the original.
On the print you are probably getting any enhancements the developer added. I had to really play around with the scan profile and PP when scanning from slides but once you get it right, you won't go back to the print...well, as long as your slides are in good shape.
03-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #1089
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
as long as your slides are in good shape
Yes, that's also part of the problem and then finding out your slide's are actually just bad and out of focus
03-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #1090
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that's also part of the problem and then finding out your slide's are actually just bad and out of focus
Well in that case, the print would not be much better
04-03-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #1091
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An real oldie

04-12-2019, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #1092
Pentaxian

I was going through some old negatives looking for a family photo and stumbled upon this one from sometime in the late eighties -- a visit to Dartmoor twenty years before I finally came to live here. I'm not sure why there's so much vignetting; maybe it was my first roll with a new lens hood or filter and I hadn't realised yet that it vignetted?

04-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #1093
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great picture. The Konica Auto S2 has a remarkable lens. (I love mine.)
04-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #1094
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I was going through some old negatives looking for a family photo and stumbled upon this one from sometime in the late eighties -- a visit to Dartmoor twenty years before I finally came to live here. I'm not sure why there's so much vignetting; maybe it was my first roll with a new lens hood or filter and I hadn't realised yet that it vignetted?
Great photo even with the vignetting. You might even say that it adds interest.
It's also interesting to note two more things:
1. How much better film handles the transition to overexposed areas such as the sky here as compared to digital.
2. How much more grainy the scan looks on Flickr as compared to what the forum makes of it.
Thanks for sharing.
04-12-2019, 02:01 AM   #1095
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Great photo even with the vignetting. You might even say that it adds interest.
It's also interesting to note two more things:
1. How much better film handles the transition to overexposed areas such as the sky here as compared to digital.
2. How much more grainy the scan looks on Flickr as compared to what the forum makes of it.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, and I agree with both your points. The transition into the overexposed part of the sky would have been awful with a modern digital camera but the old Kodak film handled it beautifully. And it looks grainer at full resolution on my screen too because I think I underexposed the DSLR scan, so that correcting for that in Camera Raw added digital noise. I've definitely learned the lesson that you need to expose as far to the right of the histogram as possible when DSLR scanning negatives.

Over the past few days I've been shooting some expired Fuji Superia 400 that a friend gave me, so DSLR scanning some old film has been great practice for when the negatives come back from the lab.