Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #181

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
It's been a brilliant month - definitely in for the next. Learning a lot about my 50mm

Quick question: are stitched panoramas acceptable? I've got a mahoosive one from today.
I hope so because I had quite a few this month.

10-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
I hope so because I had quite a few this month.
Ha! Alright then that's me sorted for today.
10-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, for the newbies (and there are a few this month, which is great), now is the time to summarise your month with your chosen lens.

The DA10-17 is a bloody great lens. Although I have had it for a couple of years, it has only been occasionally used, and often in very trying light conditions during my event work. I have totally fallen in love with it this month, and I can say with hand on heart it will never leave my kit.

For those who have not personally handled it, it is *tiny* compared to the other zooms in the focal range. Its build quality is not up to DA* or limited standards, but it has taken enough knocks this month to reassure me that it is pretty robust. It handles brilliantly on the K-01 and on the DSLRs.

The image quality was a real eye-opener for me. In good light it can be stunningly sharp, all the way to the fishy edges, from pretty much wide open. It is essentially two quite different lenses in one: at 10mm it is ridiculously fishy and provides all the fun that entails, while at 17mm it has relatively little distortion and with PP de-fishing can pretty much become a poor man's DA15 (with better edge sharpness, but more pedestrian starbursts). Flare resistance is good, and the rendering of most colours (except perhaps some greens) is excellent. Did I mention it focuses stupidly close, and opens all sorts of near-macro perspectives on life?

Negatives? Not super fast, but comparable to most of the competition. The front element can rub up against things if you're not careful, but in my experience it is pretty hardy and responds to a wipe with a good microfibre cloth.

Just get one.
10-31-2013, 03:54 AM - 2 Likes   #184
Pentaxian

Single in October 2013

For this month, my first on Pentax Forums, my first with a Pentax camera, and my first single challenge, I used a Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/2 (I hope that's at least approaching the correct nomenclature). I had used it a fair bit on my previous camera, a Lumix G10, with an adaptor fully the length of the lens. I started to get reasonably au fait with it, but it got supplanted by the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 my wife bought me. So it was sitting around doing precisely nothing until I got the K-30. I thought the Single challenge would help me get comfortable with the lens itself again - and with it on the new camera.

Yes.

It's been fantastic. My excitement with the K-30 reinvigorated my photography anyway, but the challenge kicked it along further. I've learnt to use the lens better - but I still forget stupid things like where I left the aperture set, or to meter with the green button... So I'm sticking with this lens for the November Single.

The lens itself is fabulous. It feels better than any of my other lenses - the Lumix 20mm, 14-42mm, and 45-200mm, and my only other lens for the Pentax: Sigma 30mm f/1.4. It's tiny, it has a wonderful tactile sense to it, it feels fun and good and satisfying to use. Focusing is surprisingly easy (all stuff-ups are mine) despite my myopic blurriness, the aperture ring clicks around in a wonderfully satisfying way, the bokeh is lovely and round wide open. It's not the sharpest thing in the world (perhaps because I often shoot rather wide in the aperture department) but I think it's a pleasing softness.

All up, any and all deficiencies are mine; the lens is awesome; I've got a lot better with the lens; I have a way to go yet, and will continue with it through November.

10-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #185
Veteran Member

I was running the M-50mm f/1.4 this month, for my first Single In challenge. I'm happy to say I learned some new things about this lens. Having also transitioned from film to digital last month, I also was able to become more familiar with my camera. Shooting on film, on a student budget nonetheless, I was a bit of a timid shooter, hardly ever taking risks. Now that I have a digital body, I'm much more adventurous with my photography. I wish I knew more about photography so I could fully review the lens, but I just like taking nice photos first and foremost.

Thank you very much to all who commented on my photos, I was only too happy to accept the constructive criticism offered, and in each case it was spot on!

This lens was my first lens, and has always been my favourite, and this month only confirmed that more. I'll definitely be back for more Single In challenges!
10-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I failed to get back and summarise my October lens (DA 35) so figured I better do so this month.

My lens of choice this month was the DA 18-135 f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR. I'm not convinced I'm experienced enough to be providing commentary on lenses, but I will tell you my thoughts none the less.

I love this lens, it's spent a lot of time on my K-30 since I got it and has probably taken the majority of photos I have taken with it. It has somewhat be a discovery month for me as I've been pushed to take photos at times I may not normally have.

Pros: IQ is good i n the right conditions, It's smooth, focuses quickly, is almost silent and for the most part tasks great photos and renders colours well. It feels great in the hand, it's hardy and WR.
Cons: It struggles in low light (no surprise really). Suffers from vignetting and distortion at varying focal lengths. The AF can hunt in low light.

All in all for the moment I will hang onto this lens as I love the versatility, will it stay in my kit forever? maybe not
10-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Review time:
DA21 was my lens choice for the month, but it changed to F35-70 at the middle of the month, because I found that my DA21 is faulty, it's in Japan right now for repair. And I'm happy because if it wasn't this challenge, god knows when I will notice that issue, because I didn't use it much since I bought it.
And switching to F35-70 was very good for me to know how much I want and like the wideness of DA21, haha!
I will redo another month with DA21 later. And will sum it up there, but right now I feel better about it.

About F35-70:
For the price it's a nice lens, it's sharp when there's enough light and it's very very sharp even wide open when used with flash!
I like it's colors too, and the macro ability, but it's min focus distance is too far (0.7) in focal lengths other than 70mm.
Now I know I should keep the DA21 and the F35-70 together. and I think these will be my walk-around lens whenever I'm not doing single in challenge, haha.

Thanks for another month of being nice to me and giving feedback for my photos.
I have a Nikon shooter friend, I was talking to her today and told her about this challenge, and gave her the address to Adam's new Nikon forum, to go and join them in the challenge.

10-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #188

Update and a review of the Sigma af 17-70mm

I'm sorry for seemly falling off the face of the earth. I have been so incredibly busy that I haven't had any time to post my pictures. But I just did from the 24-30th. I look forward to going back and commenting on all the previous photos. From what I saw so far, there was a great bunch!

Review time for my Sigma af 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 dc macro

I decided to use this lens this month because I rarely have gotten it out in the past. I typically used my Pentax 18-135mm kit lens. But I enjoyed having the bit wider aperture. A couple things about the lens that is noticeable right away when using it is that it twists in the opposite direction to zoom. So if you're really used to other Pentax lenses (like me), then it throws you off at first, especially if you are going between multiple lenses.

It can produce very sharp images, but sometimes it takes a while to search to focus. And it doesn't always focus on what you're hoping for. I would say that the autofocus is a bit more challenging to use with this lens than others. It also doesn't always giving good measurements for exposure. You somewhat have to remember that it generally thinks you are too underexposed, for some reason. I haven't discovered why that is true for this lens more than others. The result of this is to never use it for P mode, which I shouldn't do anyway...but sometimes I get lazy.

I love the 17-70mm range, though. It is quite nice for a walk around lens, and having it be a macro lens is of course a greatly added bonus. I must say that even after a straight month of using this lens, I am still not 100% used to it. I will have to continue using it more often. I think it's a great lens for portraits, although I really didn't use it for that this month. It's my only Sigma lens, so I am not sure how it compares to others. I would recommend it, and I would be curious what others who have used this lens extensively have said about it.
10-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

October 31st, finally!
Well I set out to learn to use the Tamron Adapdall 28A 28-135 f4-4.5 lens. I had picked it up last year on a $30 table as it came in a nice leather case. What I didn't know then was that this is a fairly rare lens. Our forum's 1 review of it says a lot more than I could hope to say - or even knew - check it out. Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 28-135mm f/4-4.5 (28A) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

My overall thoughts though are that it's a good lens and one I'm likely to keep. I used the PK/A adapter with it which made reading the f-stop in the camera just fine. Like most adaptalls it's heavy but totally solid. Because I kept it always on the ground this month, I think I really didn't give it the workout it's capable of. I played a bit with it's limited macro mode and was not impressed, however, after reading the above review, I missed the boat on this feature.

If there is a negative to this lens it's that the lens does creep a bit when pointed down. It's annoying but manageable.
10-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #190
Pentaxian

Single in October with the Auto-Takumar 55mm f2.

First of all, I'd like to say as a first-timer how much I've enjoyed this challenge and your comments. Thank you.

The 1958 Auto-Takumar presented it own special challenges. Its quite a simple lens, which is fortunate because it doesn't get a good metering from Pentax's green button, and focusing is not easy, partly because Takumar had yet to perfect the silky smooth rings of the later Super-Takumars. The results, however, can be sublime, with a lower contrast than super multi coated lenses, a beautiful glow and extra-ordinary bokeh. When I first started using it I thought the bokeh was Helios-like, but its smoother thanks to the 10 blades, without the vortex swirls, more unpredictable and arguably more interesting. I know how to do Helios swirls, but I found after this months extended use that I'll never quite know how the Auto-Takumar's bokeh will turn out. I hope I managed to get across these strengths.

Early MF lenses are not for everyone, and sometimes this month I really wished I just had a modern AF with me, but its a lot of fun taking complete control for a change, and trying different "styles", from grainy B&W to super-sharp colours. I even tried and posted a longish night exposure for the first ever time (buses going past McDonalds - no messing around with astro-stuff here in light polluted London).

This particular lens is quite hard to find, but not expensive (mine was around $60), and its a gem. There's no doubt its more than a match for powerful modern sensors. At the very least it deserves its own separate review!!
10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
So, for the newbies (and there are a few this month, which is great), now is the time to summarise your month with your chosen lens.

The DA10-17 is a bloody great lens. Although I have had it for a couple of years, it has only been occasionally used, and often in very trying light conditions during my event work. I have totally fallen in love with it this month, and I can say with hand on heart it will never leave my kit.

For those who have not personally handled it, it is *tiny* compared to the other zooms in the focal range. Its build quality is not up to DA* or limited standards, but it has taken enough knocks this month to reassure me that it is pretty robust. It handles brilliantly on the K-01 and on the DSLRs.

The image quality was a real eye-opener for me. In good light it can be stunningly sharp, all the way to the fishy edges, from pretty much wide open. It is essentially two quite different lenses in one: at 10mm it is ridiculously fishy and provides all the fun that entails, while at 17mm it has relatively little distortion and with PP de-fishing can pretty much become a poor man's DA15 (with better edge sharpness, but more pedestrian starbursts). Flare resistance is good, and the rendering of most colours (except perhaps some greens) is excellent. Did I mention it focuses stupidly close, and opens all sorts of near-macro perspectives on life?

Negatives? Not super fast, but comparable to most of the competition. The front element can rub up against things if you're not careful, but in my experience it is pretty hardy and responds to a wipe with a good microfibre cloth.

Just get one.
I've yet to do a Single in with this lens all month. I'm frankly afraid of it! However, this was the first real lens I bought in 2008 for my then K10d. It convinced me that I could see differently with photography and never disappoints. I continue to be impressed with the brilliance of this lens and would echo Sandy's comments.
10-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's over! And I feel exhausted! The Holga 60mm F8 (read F22 or so) is an incredible difficult lens, more guestimating focussing than real focussing, blurry, flare, heavy vignetting. It definitely is not usable for all possible shots. But if you want something more creative, a lens which will treat you every now and then with nice, unexpected surprises: buy a cheap plastic Holga.

And clean your sensor!!! In my last shot I had to get rid of at least 40 dust particles in PP, which are all visible by the idiot aperture!

It has been fun, it has been tough! Probably see you in 2014, because the next two months I will take a rest...
10-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #193
Pentaxian

Well it seems to be the time to wrap it up.

I have shot one month before with this monster lens. (it is big)

Only reason for this one to stay at home is because of it's size. I like fast aperture, it is not so great at widest or tightes (28, 70) but from 30-68 it is great. Now when I knew what it can or cannot do, it was a great month for me, with in my really tight time schedule.
So, would I recommend this lens, well I don't know. If you like zooms, and don't mind them being huge, and some demanding then it would be your match. Also I like colors what I get from this lens. I prefer Primes. But If I wan't some flexibility, like events, then this lens comes with me. and 235/2.8. If I wan't just relax and enjoy, then my primes comes with me.

All in all old timer, big hunk of class and metal, screwdrive, reliable focus with good color from begin with, there is not much to ask more. Some times close focus, but I have better lenses for those moments. Oh, and this lens has internal focus, and when it is at AF mode, focus ring don't move. So it is big'n heavy, and steady. K-7 with grip and this lens, is good work out, but really solid.

oukhay. that is it then. see you at November.
10-31-2013, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #194

I used the DA*16-50 for October.

I only just bought this before the month started second hand (from Sandy) so I wasn't sure what to expect (except from reading reviews) and was hoping that this would give me a good introduction to the lens and what it can do.

To be honest I started off the month a little disappointed with it. I bought it hoping that it would handle flare better than the 18-135 as I enjoy taking landscapes into the sun (some of you may have noticed) and was impressed with similar shots I had seen. I'd say that overall the flare control is predictable and not too bad. I also noticed early on the purple fringing in these high contrast situations. Doing this challenge made me aware of this though and for the first time tried using the tools in PP to fix this.

Finally, I was also a little underwhelmed with the sharpness wide open. I basically gave up using it below f/4 for the rest of the month which most of the time is still fine for isolating a subject. Towards the end of the month I was thinking that I should give it another go wide open but never got around to it. I will keep experimenting and also need to fiddle with calibration to see if it can get any better.

Enough of the cons though. I love the zoom range and I think I made the right decision getting this instead and ditching the 18-135. It is right in the sweet spot of what I like shooting. Sharpness is absolutely top notch from f/4 onwards and I loved the details that I was getting in grass and rock in landscapes. Using it at 50mm is great for portraits too.

Handling was excellent, though you definitely know it's there. I can't help but be curious about the other similar options from Sigma and Tamron, but I love the fact that it goes down to 16mm and the WR (which I also used during the month), so for the time being it is my ultimate walk around lens.

Not related to the challenge but as an aside for photography related things for this month. I got my first paid photography gig. I sold some photos to someone setting up a guided bushwalking business locally (including a few taken with the 16-50 this month). I also won a category in a statewide outdoors photo competition. Mine is Climbing Conquistador here. So I have a little bit of cash to spend on some new camera gear now.

Last edited by camerons; 10-31-2013 at 05:02 PM.
10-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #195

Photos: Albums
This really was a great month! Although, I wish I had chosen a different lens to play with, I had fun nonetheless!

Rense, you did a superb job with that hunk of plastic, and I hope to see more photos from you on Flickr even if you aren't participating in the challenges!

Okay, the Hoya HMC 35-105 mm Macro was a decent performer when the light was good, or when I was shooting Macro. Actually, it performed decently in low-light too, but not well enough for my standards. My biggest gripe about the lens is its weight! Lugging it around hoping to get a good scene to capture was a burden, and I can see why the lens is a rare beast.

As far as technical performance of the lens goes, it was smooth, and easy to focus. It did provide some nice bokeh from time to time, and it was easy to meter. Several of my shots (including this month's last) were straight out of the camera, because to me they looked just like they should. Many of my shots seemed too soft at times, but I believe that was because of some haze I found throughout the lens early on. However, it has produced some really sharp shots too, so go figure!

All in all, I'll probably sit this one on the shelf for now and make lugging my camera pack around a little bit less stressful!

Can't wait to see everyone's shots in November! Oh wait, it already is November!!!