Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in October 2013

Welcome everyone to this month’s Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game:

To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month – that’s why it’s called a challenge! (You can take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. You can take pictures with other lenses too, but these shots aren’t eligible to be posted to the challenge).

Posting your picture each day allows other participants to comment on your photograph; conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards:

It’s great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember). You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their own selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if you’re worried about LBA – this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - you’ll find it on YouTube (
)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath it eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread and you’ll probably want to subscribe to it to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. After a few days you’ll be an expert. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

09-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Rod,
This challenge is really great to know a lens!
So I'm gonna continue the challenge in October with my DA21, I need to know it more, and use it more.
09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As I said in the other thread, I'll have to sit out October but will try to be back in November. I don't know if I can stand a whole month out but Doctor's orders says no to October.
09-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I'm in with my Pentax K-x and the 18-55mm DAL kit lens. As I said in last month's thread, I haven't been using it much since I mostly shoot with full manual lenses. Should be a fun challenge for me.

Oh, and I promise that the Flying Lady will be retired for the October challenge! She needs her rest!

09-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I plan to enter for October again. Going to give the 135mm f3.5 M series a whirl and see what I can come up with what is essentially a long tele prime all month

09-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I might just be able to rejoin the Single in Challenge. I've been missing it for some time now. No idea what to choose but...I may just give it a whirl in October.
09-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi!

I have been lurking and looking your shots at september thread... I wan't to join this game again.. dunno about lens choise yet, but would be cool to try good old s.tak 28/3.5 or 105/2.8....or then tokina at-x270pro...lets see.

09-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #8

Hi!

I'm still undecided but I might participate october. I will probably use an m42 lens, not yet sure which; s-m-c Tak 28 f/3.5 or 105 f/2.8 (nothing to do with the previous post, I swear ), or maybe a Pentacon 50 f/1.8?
09-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

"I will probably use an m42 lens, not yet sure which; s-m-c Tak 28 f/3.5 or 105 f/2.8 (nothing to do with the previous post, I swear )"

right, I believe you.
09-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably I will join the October challenge again, I loved the September game.... I will think some more days...
09-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested in playing, but is it mandatory to post a shot every day? I only ask as I'll be off the grid for a couple days at the beginning of the month..
09-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a shot each day and post them when you can. If able, each day, but when unable, no worries.
09-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Take a shot each day and post them when you can. If able, each day, but when unable, no worries.
Thanks.

Alright, I'm in. I'll be using my M 50mm /1.4 on my K20d. My first lens ever, and I think I know it pretty well, but now that I've finally upgraded to digital, I'm sure there's a new learning curve waiting for me.
09-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm on the fence with my lens choice-it's either my 10-17 Fisheye or my Super Takumar 50/1.4 (8-element). I've not used either one very much, both are new or new to me. I used my Tak55 a couple of months ago, and I'd like to do some comparisons between them. I'm not sure I need both, but man do I love that 55. I'm not altogether sure the 1.4 is sharp enough wide open to be useful. Looks like we have lots of Taks this month, so I may go that way just to join you all.
09-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I'm on the fence with my lens choice-it's either my 10-17 Fisheye or my Super Takumar 50/1.4 (8-element). I've not used either one very much, both are new or new to me. I used my Tak55 a couple of months ago, and I'd like to do some comparisons between them. I'm not sure I need both, but man do I love that 55. I'm not altogether sure the 1.4 is sharp enough wide open to be useful. Looks like we have lots of Taks this month, so I may go that way just to join you all.
I've got an 8 element copy of the 50/1.4. Mine is a little soft wide open, but it sharpens nicely around 1.8/2.0,. The Fisheye effect would be fun to see!