11-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #376
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the update OzzRod ... much appreciated .... merci et salut, J

11-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #377
Veteran Member

OK all, I think I need your help.

Tomorrow is the day my new 18-135 officially becomes mine. I am yearning to use it, but I must do 70ltd until end Nov. So what I have decided to do is compare the DA70 with the zoom, at 70mm. I want to test different aspects of the lenses in isolation, so what aspects would you suggest? And how should I go about testing?
11-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #378
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote

Tomorrow is the day my new 18-135 officially becomes mine. I am yearning to use it, but I must do 70ltd until end Nov. So what I have decided to do is compare the DA70 with the zoom, at 70mm. I want to test different aspects of the lenses in isolation, so what aspects would you suggest? And how should I go about testing?
I don't think anyone would mind if you did that. I have certainly committed worse crimes; I recently finished a month with the DA*16-50 compared to the 02 zoom on the Q7

Things I would be comparing:
Central sharpness and edge performance, chromatic aberration in harsh lighting, and bokeh, all using the same aperture - say f/8.0. I know which lens will win though
Minimum focus distance would be interesting too.
11-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #379
Veteran Member

Try testing them in infinity! I mean find a subject far far away and focus on it. also check borders sharpness and performance on infinity subject! make sure your distance from borders and your distance from center part isn't different too much
I did a comparison between my DA 18-135 and DA 50 and F 35-70 today, now going to check the results mine was a sharpness comparison and my subject is the front building

11-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #380
Veteran Member

Oh, I forgot to tell you don't do that
My copy's weakness is around 70mm! so I won't compare it at 70mm to a limited lens
11-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #381
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
As mentioned i was thinking on doing december with my new Sigma 18-50mm. Was looking forward to be able to go a Little wider, eg. Buildings, landscapes etc. But i will see, december is not the worst month to do bokeh will think about it
11-24-2013, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #382
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
My copy's weakness is around 70mm! so I won't compare it at 70mm to a limited lens
I'll have to second that. The 18-135 is a great versatile lens, with WR and super handling. But the DA 70 beats it's pants off when it comes to image quality. Do the comparison though! it is a rewarding exercise.

For me it is a great winter lens for when you don't want snow to land on your sensor.

I did a summer month with it back in 2012 too http://www.flickr.com/photos/frylund/tags/singleinjuly2012/ but I like primes more so it's a winter lens for me.

11-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #383
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm not sure I'll be in for December either. Surgery starts the 10th on the right eye, my shooting eye, I then go back a week later for checkup on that eye. So if I am in, it wouldn't be until 20th. Guess I'll sit out that month and come back in January. You all have fun.

The theme setting is not for me anyway as the lens of my choice for December would have been my new to me Tamron SP 100mm Macro lens. Haven't used it yet, so don't know how good the bokeh on it is.
11-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The theme setting is not for me anyway as the lens of my choice for December would have been my new to me Tamron SP 100mm Macro lens. Haven't used it yet, so don't know how good the bokeh on it is.
I see you have a Tamron 90mm Macro in your signature. If that's the one you mean, I think it has a fantastic bokeh and is a real winner. It's a lens i've been meaning to acquire for a long time. Loved all the images I've seen with it. Hope you can jump in with a few. I wish you the best of luck with your eye surgery as well.
11-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #385
Veteran Member

Rod, thanks for the words from Bruce. Encouraging to hear he's still smilin'

Last edited by WWIFA; 11-24-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
11-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #386
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Rod for the message from Bruce. It's is encouraging to hear he's still in good spirits and still smiling!

Bruce (WWIFA) thanks but the lens of choice is manual focus and because my eyes are so out of focus I can't use a manual focus lens until after the surgery and my eyes have healed, which will probably be some time in January.
Yesterday. I took my kids and went to a local park, while they played, I took some photos. Some flower shots with bees in them, and even though the camera said the bees were in focus, they were not, and I had the shutter speed set high enough, I got them on the computer and ouch! they were so bad you couldn't tell they were bees, just blobs on a flower. So no more photos of nature for me until after the surgery is finished, and eyes are healed.
11-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks Rod for the message from Bruce. It's is encouraging to hear he's still in good spirits and still smiling!

Bruce (WWIFA) thanks but the lens of choice is manual focus and because my eyes are so out of focus I can't use a manual focus lens until after the surgery and my eyes have healed, which will probably be some time in January.
Yesterday. I took my kids and went to a local park, while they played, I took some photos. Some flower shots with bees in them, and even though the camera said the bees were in focus, they were not, and I had the shutter speed set high enough, I got them on the computer and ouch! they were so bad you couldn't tell they were bees, just blobs on a flower. So no more photos of nature for me until after the surgery is finished, and eyes are healed.
Yesterday you were taking pictures of BEES? Jeepers. This morning we were at 18F (minus 10C) with a steady 20mph wind gusting to >40. You've got some latitude.
11-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #388
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yesterday you were taking pictures of BEES? Jeepers. This morning we were at 18F (minus 10C) with a steady 20mph wind gusting to >40. You've got some latitude.
Yep, we had 80F here. Wind was blowing but not real hard, about 20mph. I live in Florida, on the east coast, about 7 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean.
11-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #389
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just a quick vent while i wait for flickr to show me everyone's photos so i can comment.

this slow bandwidth malarky is really getting old. 4 more days before my plan ticks over again and flickr doesn't take an age to load. *kicks modem*

i don't think the new layout is helping things much either. grrrrr

p.s. NKK - thanks for the tip on the big picture display. i finally found the option. what *is* the point of changing layouts if it's not user friendly? the box and nearly the triangle were completely hidden by the photo! if you hadn't told me it was there, i would've just continued to sit there pulling my hair out.

and the trick between the linky logo and the thumbtack. on what planet is a thumbtack equivalent to sharing?!

maybe it's just sleep deprivation and baby brain talking, but i swear..... *goes off to change wolfiepup's nappy, muttering*
11-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #390
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You Aussie's must have really bad internet. Mine is fast and I have never had a problem with flickr loading. Sorry but you guys sound like you're still on dial up internet which was never made for photos or video. It was made for reading emails, IMO.