Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No problem. We are a forgiving lot here.

12-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
That's what I started doing since joining this challenge and it was and is very rewarding.
Same here, especially if I have to go somewhere I've not been before. I've about used up everything around the house and the property
12-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
I've about used up everything around the house and the property
12-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #289
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You need a bigger garden.

12-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #290

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
I've about used up everything around the house and the property
I know the feeling!

... Sometimes inspiration is tough. I find it very difficult to sit and think of something to shoot, unless it has appeared to me during the course of the day sans camera and I've made a note to come back to it or something interesting happens and I'm able to run and grab the camera on the spot. Usually I just wander with my camera and something invariably leaps out at me...

12-13-2013, 03:47 AM - 2 Likes   #291
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
I find it very difficult to sit and think of something to shoot
Don't sit and think, get out there and shoot!

That is one thing I learnt through participating in this challenge and why I keep coming back. It gets me out shooting like nothing else.

If you can't get out then try to setup a specific set of parameters for your shooting. Like "it must be a bokeh shot", or "only shoot up!" or "shoot in monochrome square format" and so on. You never know but you just might get the best work you have ever done by setting constraints for yourself. I would never have become a monochrome shooter wannabe / square format lover without this.
12-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Don't sit and think, get out there and shoot!

That is one thing I learnt through participating in this challenge and why I keep coming back. It gets me out shooting like nothing else.

If you can't get out then try to setup a specific set of parameters for your shooting. Like "it must be a bokeh shot", or "only shoot up!" or "shoot in monochrome square format" and so on. You never know but you just might get the best work you have ever done by setting constraints for yourself. I would never have become a monochrome shooter wannabe / square format lover without this.
Very well said.

12-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #293
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the FA31 for me. I'm over the new zoom. I think I'll send it back to B&H; it will be the first time I have ever done that.
12-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #294
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Back to the FA31 for me. I'm over the new zoom. I think I'll send it back to B&H; it will be the first time I have ever done that.
Why?

(that's probably answered in another thread?)
12-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Me too. Why? Saves me looking for another thread.
12-14-2013, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #296
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks gorgeous, handles beautifully, and renders nicely but:

I already have a WR zoom which is actually not much bigger (but quite a bit heavier), has a much better zoom range, is faster at the long end, and has much better edge sharpness at wide apertures at the short end.
I already have excellent copies of the DA21, FA31 and FA43, which are better in just about every respect except speed in the case of the DA21, and minimum focal distance with the FA43.

If I'm shooting for pleasure I would rather shoot the primes. If I want ultimate IQ and limited pixie dust I will always use the primes. If I need the versatility of a zoom for my event stuff I would go for the DA*16-50 every time.

So at the price I can't justify it.
12-14-2013, 03:04 AM   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
I actually sat down and wrote out a list of things to shoot, not an exhaustive 31 day list but well over 15 days. This helps to have something in the tank per say, even though I do feel weary too from the 'weight' of the challenge. I would advise two more things, take a walk, especially a new place and walk around 45 mins or so And take your camera everywhere, explain to people why you have it with you. That should start forcing you to get on to something :-)
Totally agree about carrying your camera everywhere. I've been doing that for a while now, doing the daily photo thing on Blipfoto.com for the last few years. Not I frequently I end up carrying it around and taking nothing, but too many times I've not had it, and thereby missed "the" shot that inevitably presented itself.
12-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks gorgeous, handles beautifully, and renders nicely but:

I already have a WR zoom which is actually not much bigger (but quite a bit heavier), has a much better zoom range, is faster at the long end, and has much better edge sharpness at wide apertures at the short end.
I already have excellent copies of the DA21, FA31 and FA43, which are better in just about every respect except speed in the case of the DA21, and minimum focal distance with the FA43.

If I'm shooting for pleasure I would rather shoot the primes. If I want ultimate IQ and limited pixie dust I will always use the primes. If I need the versatility of a zoom for my event stuff I would go for the DA*16-50 every time.

So at the price I can't justify it.
I'm curious of your opinion from this perspective. I don't have the DA21, FA31, and FA43, and while I have other zooms in this range including my favorite DA*16-50, would it make sense to own the DA 20-40 instead of the DA21, FA31, and FA43? I like primes too and had presumed that someday I might get the FA31 and/or the FA43. Wondering?
12-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #299

Photos: Albums
I was wondering what was the point of this lens when it first came out, what need did it fill in the market? with 16-45, 16-50 and 17-70, where was this needed (I may have missed a few sorry)....good for feeding LBA junkies, but what was the need? I know the 77m is out there, but how about an 85mm prime or say 40-90mm zoom...I love the way it looks, but the need... hmmm

Last edited by Canmannac; 12-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
12-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I love the way it looks, but the need... hmmm
it is sexy looking...