Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I wound up hitting Explore with my December 2nd shot. Completely wasn't expecting that - I liked the shot enough to use it, but it wasn't something I expected to crack Explore at all.

There is something very cool (and not just the snow - ha!) about it

12-03-2013, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #152
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
I'm sorry to ask, but could someone describe to the uninitiated what it means to 'crack Explore' on Flickr? Is it a bit of a big deal?

Thanks...

Like Sandy said...who knows...I've cracked a couple. Seems like every now and then a shot from the heart seems to pull a chord somewhere in Flikr. Maybe the time and effort, maybe the moment...who knows?

Still haven't made the bloody Pentax Premier Premium Bestest thingy though.....sigh.....i'll keep trying!

Cheers Paddy
12-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For what it's worth, I got none last month with the FA43, or the DA21 in July or the DA*16-50 in September, but I landed quite a few in the even months with the DA10-17, DA*300 and DA*50-135.
Go figure.
Nothing much on t'internets seems to make a helluva lot of consistent sense, I find. If a photo just happens to be the sort of thing that grabs the eyes of enough of the people who just happen to be browsing Flickr's new uploads from everyone at the time you happen to upload it, and if just enough of those people are enthusiastic commenty/favey types, that photo might just get enough momentum to get headed in an Explore-wards direction.

That's a few ifs to begin with; then you have whatever else Flickr mix in their special algorithm.

I figure it happens or it doesn't. ... Though it is kind of nice when it does. ;-)
12-03-2013, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may be wrong, but here is my take on "Explore"

To get a shot into Explore, you have to get a lot of people to "fave" the shot and all comment in quick-time.(i.e. very soon after the posting) Once it gets into Explore, the number of "faves" (compared to the other Explore shots) determines the overall rank.

So it seems that Europe and the USA posters, and to a lesser extent Asia(because of the higher numbers of subscribers and the time differences ) have a distinct advantage from us users in the southern hemisphere.

****** So, make sure you post your shot when the maximum numbers of your fans are 1. awake, and 2. all logged onto flickr, so they can vote quickly. *********

Oh, and post your shots to the biggest suitable groups.

Last edited by jackassp; 12-03-2013 at 04:10 AM.
12-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #155
Veteran Member

My one for the 3rd is being explored right now.... Pretty chuffed about that :-)
12-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Well it works when I do it. You gotta use the old flickr interface!
So, you are using the old interface!? how can I switch to old interface!? because with that I had no issue!
12-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
For what it's worth, I got none last month with the FA43, or the DA21 in July or the DA*16-50 in September, but I landed quite a few in the even months with the DA10-17, DA*300 and DA*50-135.
And I got none ever since I'm using Flickr a.k.a August!

12-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
So, you are using the old interface!? how can I switch to old interface!? because with that I had no issue!
I tried the new interface out when it was pretty new (I like new stuff) but the UI was terrible. I seem to remember there being an opt-out somewhere on the left side of my screen, maybe when viewing photos?? The only way I can really help is if I opt-in again, and I'm afraid I won't be able to get back out!
12-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just use the opt-out &feedback button!
12-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on the Explores so far (I always figure they reflect well on all of as a team!) My first two shots for December have landed in Explore so far, the first one kind of slipped in toward the end of the day but yesterday's has had quite a good response. I suspect it may have to do with tags that I chose to call attention to anyone searching for shots from the blizzard that we experienced yesterday... Anyhow does the ego good.
12-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How do you know your images are on explore?
12-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
How do you know your images are on explore?
I use scout:
Scout: Find your photos in Flickr's Explore pages.
12-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Thanks.
12-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Ok, so the answer lies in me opting out of the new interface. I thought I read in one of the comments when they changed it that they couldn't opt out. Maybe they've fixed that since then. *goes off to find the toggle switch*
12-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Congrats on the Explores so far (I always figure they reflect well on all of as a team!) My first two shots for December have landed in Explore so far, the first one kind of slipped in toward the end of the day but yesterday's has had quite a good response. I suspect it may have to do with tags that I chose to call attention to anyone searching for shots from the blizzard that we experienced yesterday... Anyhow does the ego good.
Gotta agree with you man! Some real nice images in the first days. Heck, commenting is becoming a second job with so many participants and fantastic images.
Thinking about all the cold souls from Canada to below. We are still awaiting it but it is coming. Stay warm my friends.
Cheers, Julio.