Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
Seems to be going well for me, and I agree with everything you said. there is a definite learning curve to getting pleasing bokeh out of an old, long lens. Sounds like you're in luck with the bellows though, I'm interested to see what you can produce with that!
Am on extension tubes at the mo, but might pull out the bellows in a while and see what I get. I've never actually used them since I bought them... familiar story right?

12-07-2013, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those wondering about Explore, here's a good reading: Frequently Asked Questions
12-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #213
Pentaxian

I'm regretting picking a 135mm sooooo much right now. Its really a frustrating casual bokeh kind of lens. Planned shots? Sure. Shots with plenty of space? Sure. But with a hideously long minimal focus distance and a stupidly thin depth of field when you do try shooting there, it makes things really tough. I've caught myself wishing I could use anything instead at times. My 70-210 zoom even shoots better.

SO.

I may break the rules and swap over to another lens just because after today. If I do, I'll make sure its something I don't have much experience with just to keep the spirit of the challenge alive.
12-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #214
Veteran Member

The bokeh theme was a suggestion, not mandatory.

12-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm regretting picking a 135mm sooooo much right now. Its really a frustrating casual bokeh kind of lens. Planned shots? Sure. Shots with plenty of space? Sure. But with a hideously long minimal focus distance and a stupidly thin depth of field when you do try shooting there, it makes things really tough. I've caught myself wishing I could use anything instead at times. My 70-210 zoom even shoots better.

SO.

I may break the rules and swap over to another lens just because after today. If I do, I'll make sure its something I don't have much experience with just to keep the spirit of the challenge alive.
Or you could do what I did today and put some extension tubes on. Reduces the mfd!
12-07-2013, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
For those wondering about Explore, here's a good reading: Frequently Asked Questions
Thanks for this Rense. I also have had a good month Explore-wise with my first five shots hitting Explore (although my favourite of the batch dropped off after half a day). The shots that garnered the most attention spinning out more than 30,000 views each were my least favourite of the month to date. The best thing for me is that it tends to increase your collection of local and international contacts (if you chose to follow people who start following you). What I love about flickr is that it has such a worldwide pull of photos from people at all levels of interest from professionals to family snapshots that it is like opening a window on the world at any moment in time.
12-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
Thanks for this Rense. I also have had a good month Explore-wise with my first five shots hitting Explore (although my favourite of the batch dropped off after half a day). The shots that garnered the most attention spinning out more than 30,000 views each were my least favourite of the month to date. The best thing for me is that it tends to increase your collection of local and international contacts (if you chose to follow people who start following you). What I love about flickr is that it has such a worldwide pull of photos from people at all levels of interest from professionals to family snapshots that it is like opening a window on the world at any moment in time.
That are quite some numbers, Joe! Amazing!

12-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Thanks for the link to the Explore FAQ
12-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #219

Photos: Albums
Well the first week is over of the challenge and I have a bad habit of taking too many pics. So this are the pics that didn't make the grade, but are still very worthy of notice and deserve some wider attention (what an ego huh?). Enjoy.

Canmannac's Album: Bokeh Challengers - PentaxForums.com
12-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Canmannac - taking too many pictures is a bad habit? Actually, no it's not. It's quite a good habit. One of my photography instructors calls it 'working the shot.' Get high, get low, get different view points, get close, get farther away, in the end, you will have perspective on a shot far more than that initial moment of inspiration. So, forget about your 'bad habit' and just shoot!
12-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #221

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
@Canmannac - taking too many pictures is a bad habit? Actually, no it's not. It's quite a good habit. One of my photography instructors calls it 'working the shot.' Get high, get low, get different view points, get close, get farther away, in the end, you will have perspective on a shot far more than that initial moment of inspiration. So, forget about your 'bad habit' and just shoot!
Hey Brew :-) I doubt I will ever get over my habit :-) And I agree with your idea, you definitely need to walk around things for perspective...I was more half joking, but actually the challenge is helping me to get shots in less time. I would call it seeing things better :-).
12-07-2013, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, these challenges have really helped me pre-visualize a lot of shots and that results in having to take less. However, I do need to remember my own advice at times and still 'work the shot.'
12-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I try to be patient and slow down to get the best shot the first time, or patient enough to work the shot, but I've also decided to be brutally honest with myself and get rid of anything less than "damn good". I am making mental notes about why I am not keeping shots, especially since I will be able to go back to many of those places and try again.

I'm pretty impressed with this 40mm pancake lens, I really like how easy it is to use in both AF and Manual focus. I was formerly using wide angle zoom lenses but this lens is fixed at an equivalent to 60mm, it's a big difference but it is making me try new things and really pay attention to framing and composition. The only minor drawback is that I can't easily adapt the filters I own to its rather small diameter.
12-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #224

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
So I thought I would post a quick update. While I'm still in hospital I'm doing much better than this time last week. I have quite a team of doctors who find me to be a facinating case. I'm learning that this means they don't have a clue why I came to the hospital in breathing distress. Some things have been fixed for now so I can go home soon, further investigation is needed to understand why and this will be done on an outpatient basis. I hope to home by the end of the week so I get on playing with my K-3.

Thank you all for you encouragement and support it was very heartwarming!
12-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get well soon! I'd hate to be considered "fascinating" by doctors.