Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #241
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seriously, don't put too much weight on Explore as an index of quality.
Be true to yourself.

12-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its a learning curve, and one that im enjoying. I spent most of last night trying to create a shot that just didn't work, so nothing from me from that, even if I did learn a few things in the process. Just trying to create a shot rather than snap an existing scene is completely new for me, challenging as Im not artistically inclined but different so pleasurable in a fresh kind of way.
Although I have enjoyed it, Im not enjoying the posting every day, so Im trying to be a bit more relaxed about things, otherwise you will just get a daily shot from my commute which is no fun for anyone.
This bokehcember is going to last well beyond this month for me as Im thrilled to bits with my new lens and it will take longer than the next 3 weeks to learn it..
12-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree, actually I had this experience in 500px, my first photo's hit popular wasn't that much interesting and top photos for myself, so that helped me to not bother about it anymore.
12-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #244
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I didn't get any shots for yesterday as I got stuck working (deadline) for the program magazine at the university. But I think my 7th is a bit surprising at least!

12-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Be true to yourself.
Totally agree with this. There are amazing photos in there, but there are also ones you wonder why. Certainly my Explored photos don't make a lot of sense to me in any sort of quality-measuring kind of fashion.

Still kinda cool though Just be meta about it.
12-09-2013, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #246
Veteran Member

Be true to yourself.
Plus 1, Sandy.
That is what it should be about. Be true to yourself.
While accolades are nice and it strokes the ego, in the end it is what is in the brain behind the viewfinder. Your vision, while popular or not, faved or not should remain yours. Screw the counter winds.
12-09-2013, 09:03 PM - 3 Likes   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eschew Flickr Explores for validation. Create work you could print... Then do it. Feel the reward of the printed work. I have printed and sold a number of my Single In photos.

The other piece here we run the risk of ignoring is the value of quality critique. We all benefit by acknowledging the good, and suggesting things for improvement. We each can learn from one another's photography. If we consider how another might improve their art/craft... We internalize the process, and ultimately improve our own work by improving our own process of making a photo.

I would consider buying some of the many fantastic photos over the years. Keep inspiring!

12-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
While accolades are nice and it strokes the ego, in the end it is what is in the brain behind the viewfinder. Your vision, while popular or not, faved or not should remain yours. Screw the counter winds.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
We all benefit by acknowledging the good, and suggesting things for improvement. We each can learn from one another's photography. If we consider how another might improve their art/craft... We internalize the process, and ultimately improve our own work by improving our own process of making a photo.
I'm glad this conversation is still going on. I haven't been sure what to think of the Explore process and I've felt very uncomfortable with my photos hitting explore this month and my inbox getting notifications of followers, not contacts, we're all followers. What a terrible choice of words. Obviously, I wouldn't be human if I wasn't pleased with all the faves and many thousands of views. It's gratifying to know someone enjoyed a little slice of the world you're trying to share.
The point is, the opinions and feedback of those here at PF are more important and have real value for me, since it was the people past and present here who have shown me what can be done with a camera.
Keep on truckin'....
12-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Eschew Flickr Explores for validation. Create work you could print... Then do it. Feel the reward of the printed work. I have printed and sold a number of my Single In photos.

The other piece here we run the risk of ignoring is the value of quality critique. We all benefit by acknowledging the good, and suggesting things for improvement. We each can learn from one another's photography. If we consider how another might improve their art/craft... We internalize the process, and ultimately improve our own work by improving our own process of making a photo.

I would consider buying some of the many fantastic photos over the years. Keep inspiring!
QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
I'm glad this conversation is still going on. I haven't been sure what to think of the Explore process and I've felt very uncomfortable with my photos hitting explore this month and my inbox getting notifications of followers, not contacts, we're all followers. What a terrible choice of words. Obviously, I wouldn't be human if I wasn't pleased with all the faves and many thousands of views. It's gratifying to know someone enjoyed a little slice of the world you're trying to share.
The point is, the opinions and feedback of those here at PF are more important and have real value for me, since it was the people past and present here who have shown me what can be done with a camera.
Keep on truckin'....
I meant to bring this up over the weekend but was super busy not to post until today.
i received a number of Black Sunday emails... as in not to post a pix on Sunday.

My point being that I like positing images for their sake. Not necessarily looking for replies, faves nor explore.

Wonder what other folks think of the changes. Meaningful,? A sign of the times? Are we doomed? No worries? Who cares? or any other offering.
12-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #250

Well, as a person new to this site and not using flickr, it is great to get feedback from you all, and to "compete" with you all in the challenge - more like journey with you... I definitely enjoy the comments, critique and praise, I would say I need it so I can come out of my own shell and be more willing to take the risks needed to make good pics. I admire many of you for your abilities, I admire if you are printing and selling and more so admire you if you can take the time to stop & teach those of us on their journey. Endless clicks and likes or none do not reveal your true value in the electronic world, some of that is mindless - I have this experience on facebook. This small challenge group has the potential to provide more feedback that I personally need to grow and feel grounded in the truth that gets revealed through my pics. I will write a little more of this at month's end, but since this explore idea got mentioned I thought I would share my thoughts.
12-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #251
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There has been a serious spanner thrown into the works. I picked up my silver HD DA 20-40mm limited yesterday on the way to work. I can barely contain my excitement; words and even pictures fail to describe how nice this lens is to use. The zoom ring is a sensual delight, and the focus ring has the best damping of any AF lens I have ever used. Having all the beautiful metal of a limited *and* silent focus is almost eerie. It is not tiny, but it looks incredible on the silver K-3

First quick snap at work. Nice bokeh.

HD DA 20-40 limited!

Would there be any objections if I switched lenses for the rest of bokehcember?
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can only switch if we get to borrow it! Whatever.
12-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #253
Veteran Member

That switch would benefit the greater good with the lens being tested!
12-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

However, there is a great danger of igniting some more LBA!
12-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LBA be dammed!! I want you to put it through the wringer!