Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a bit of an epiphany about the 135mm today. The reason its so frustrating is that I have difficulty getting 'close' objects in focus while throwing distant bokeh. The reason? I don't crouch near enough in order to do so. Casually shooting while standing means that my normal comfort zone is occurring off-screen so to speak down near my feet.

Basically, the 135mm requires a bit more exertion (ie, getting down closer to the ground) to pull off the kinds of shots that I like.

12-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #302
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'm curious of your opinion from this perspective. I don't have the DA21, FA31, and FA43, and while I have other zooms in this range including my favorite DA*16-50, would it make sense to own the DA 20-40 instead of the DA21, FA31, and FA43? I like primes too and had presumed that someday I might get the FA31 and/or the FA43. Wondering?
DA21 and DA35 macro would cover this lens well, with better IQ, less weight and bulk, true macro capability, proper starbursts, a familiar filter size, and less cost (if you can get your hands on the SMC versions before they disappear).

The only downsides are screw drive AF and no WR, but you have the DA*16-50 for that.
12-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #303

I'm off on a family holiday today...

We'll be spending five nights and six days cruising the Gippsland Lakes, so I'll be totally offline until Friday (or Saturday) next week.

I'll still be shooting when I'm away and will upload and catch up on comments upon my return, but I won't be able to put anything up or comment while we're away. I'm still a little behind commenting, but will endeavour to catch up before we leave.

Cheers,

Luke.

12-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #304

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote

We'll be spending five nights and six days cruising the Gippsland Lakes, so I'll be totally offline until Friday (or Saturday) next week.

I'll still be shooting when I'm away and will upload and catch up on comments upon my return, but I won't be able to put anything up or comment while we're away. I'm still a little behind commenting, but will endeavour to catch up before we leave.

Cheers,

Luke.

Enjoy your time away, and hopefully inspiration finds you on your travels!

12-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #305

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote

Cheers,

Luke.

Have a wonderful time!
12-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #306

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
A follow up from my note of Dec 2nd. I am still in hospital, tomorrow will make it 2 weeks since I was admitted. We know some things, but there are still a lot of what seem to be unanswerable questions. I am continuing to be a fascinating case. We know that it was never pneumonia although there is something very funky with my lungs. The scariest part of all of it is that I have stage 3-4 heart failure which isn't expected in someone my age (I'm in my mid 40s). What the medical team doesn't know is why any of this is occurring. They will not release me until they figure things out.

So for now I will not be finishing December, but I will continue to lurk and learn.
12-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #307
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It looks gorgeous, handles beautifully, and renders nicely but:

I already have a WR zoom which is actually not much bigger (but quite a bit heavier), has a much better zoom range, is faster at the long end, and has much better edge sharpness at wide apertures at the short end.
I already have excellent copies of the DA21, FA31 and FA43, which are better in just about every respect except speed in the case of the DA21, and minimum focal distance with the FA43.

If I'm shooting for pleasure I would rather shoot the primes. If I want ultimate IQ and limited pixie dust I will always use the primes. If I need the versatility of a zoom for my event stuff I would go for the DA*16-50 every time.

So at the price I can't justify it.
I still cannot work out what Ricoh were thinking when they made this lens?
What a dumb range of focal lengths.
Even if it was FF capable, it's still a dumb range of focal lengths.

Buy a DA 21 and use your feet for zooming in and out.

12-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #308

Got some small computerproblems so there will be no more images from me for a while. Nothing serious. The front usbports stopped working. Probably a loose connection. I will continue shooting and upload later.
12-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #309

Just haven't got the time to fix it right now

12-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If I need the versatility of a zoom for my event stuff I would go for the DA*16-50 every time.
Interesting testimony for the DA*16-50. It's my choice for a travel lens, but it's so heavy and bulky. Thanks for filling us in.
12-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #311
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Interesting testimony for the DA*16-50. It's my choice for a travel lens, but it's so heavy and bulky. Thanks for filling us in.
For what it offers, I consider the DA*16-50 to be compact and light - at least compared to the 24-70/2.8's for CaNikon full frames.
The 20-40 still feels big, but it is *much* lighter. However, I'm a big strong lad and weight doesn't really bother me.
The real problem is that it is useless as a quickish wide angle - it's essentially just a pretty, oversized, expensive slow normal. If it were strong at 20mm and f/2.8 it would have been a keeper.
12-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
A follow up from my note of Dec 2nd. I am still in hospital, tomorrow will make it 2 weeks since I was admitted. We know some things, but there are still a lot of what seem to be unanswerable questions. I am continuing to be a fascinating case. We know that it was never pneumonia although there is something very funky with my lungs. The scariest part of all of it is that I have stage 3-4 heart failure which isn't expected in someone my age (I'm in my mid 40s). What the medical team doesn't know is why any of this is occurring. They will not release me until they figure things out.

So for now I will not be finishing December, but I will continue to lurk and learn.

So sorry to hear this. Get well/get out soon. At least fascinating cases get more attention. I speak from personal experience

12-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes. I'm with utak, get well soon.
12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #314
Veteran Member

Hope you get to be at home for christmas bigted!!
12-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope so too.. though that is another week of hospital food

You ought to have lots of time to RTFM

All kidding aside,sincere wish for a speedy recovery.