Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in January 2014

Welcome everyone to this monthís Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game: To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month Ė thatís why itís called a challenge! (Take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. Use other lenses too as you fancy, but those shots arenít eligible for the challenge).

Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them; conversely, itís hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please donít be shy if you donít have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone elseís. Itís a very friendly group and youíll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards:Itís great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (itís a challenge, remember). Youíll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and youíll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one youíve chosen. In the comment banter youíll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if youíre worried about LBA - this game doesnít help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The groupís name is ďMonthly Photo ChallengesĒ. Youíll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. Youíll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, youíll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challengeís stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - itís on YouTube (
)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, youíll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each dayís picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath it eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo youíre using.

The thread youíre painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and youíll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. Itís the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this monthís challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. If you miss a day, donít worry. If you have any problems, please ask. Weíre a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here Ö. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/711-faq.html

12-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'll be there

12-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I'll be there

Crikey, that's got to be one of the fastest responses - I'd barely put the mouse down
12-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm in with DA 21.

12-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm in, probably with a fast fifty as well. Will decide later in the week.
12-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well I'm in with my newly acquired Kiron 28, for a long time I liked to try this FL, but now is the time. and also trying an all manual lens

to follow mattt, here is a photo of it, I took some days ago

12-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Well I'm still (gasp) in the hospital so at the rate I think I'll stay out for January and aim to rejoin in February if I'm strong enough. I really miss participating so I'll continue to watch from the sidelines.
12-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Well I'm still (gasp) in the hospital so at the rate I think I'll stay out for January and aim to rejoin in February if I'm strong enough. I really miss participating so I'll continue to watch from the sidelines.
Well, i imagine you must be an expert on the lesser used features of the K3 by now - and your manual must be accordioned out from all the reading. Hang in there Stevi. If any silver lining, you're not having to deal with the nasty cold weather. I hope some one brought you some cheer these past few days.

12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm in, haven't decided as yet which lens, I'm thinking my stand by Sigma tele zoom. But may change that, after my other eye doctor's report of how my eyes are doing, I might be able to use the Tamron lens.
12-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Oh bigted Hope they decide soon and you get let out for New Year's at the very least!!!
12-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I am in, hopefully I will be less busy in January.

I dunno what to use, really.

40 XS probbly
12-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

I am in for January too. I'll be using an old ASAHI SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm that I picked up on eBay a few years ago. Looking forward to the challenge.
12-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'll give it my best shot.

12-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Oh blimmin' 'ell mate. That's a bit rotten. Hope you're not much longer.
12-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dfromal Quote
I am in for January too. I'll be using an old ASAHI SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm that I picked up on eBay a few years ago. Looking forward to the challenge.

My favourite of the lenses I have. You should have a good month.