Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Single in February 2014

Welcome everyone to this month’s Single Challenge.

Aim of the Game: To post one picture every day that has been taken with a Pentax or Ricoh camera mounted with your choice of lens - but it must be the same lens for each post during the month – that’s why it’s called a challenge! (Take as many pictures as you want to each day, but only one of them can be posted to the challenge. Use other lenses too as you fancy, but those shots aren’t eligible for the challenge).

Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them; conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun, but as the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember). You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. Caution: if you’re worried about LBA - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath it eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).
This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first encounter. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here.

01-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
THEME FOR FEBRUARY (Note: Not obligatory)

As I type this an "agreed" theme has not emerged, but whatever does, it is not obligatory to follow it; the core of each person's challenge is to pick one lens for the month as set out above.

At present, it seems the main theme could be "as wide as you can" with perhaps "your neighbourhood" as a sub-theme. Let's see what evolves in discussion over the next few days.

Cheers, Rod
01-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As from today I'm going to be spending my time in hotels and trains until early February and I expect some downtime wrt internet access. So my apologies in advance if I seem to be neglectful in commenting.

I'll also grab this opportunity to thank everyone who looked at my pictures and took the time to make their comments. It's greatly appreciated. And of course, congratulations to all who participated this month - but don't stop now! there's still seven days to go Rod
01-23-2014, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Filllllmmmmmmmm. K 17mm f4.0 Fisheye

See you then

01-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Filllllmmmmmmmm. K 17mm f4.0 Fisheye

See you then
Brave man Matt. Good on ya.

I'm sending my 03 fisheye to Canberra for Wolfie Girl to play with, and I used my DA10-17 quite recently, so I'm going to pass on the "wide as you can" challenge.

I will still try to stick to neighbourhood street shots, using the Q7 and 01 prime, and use that raw material as an opportunity to get familiar with my new Nik processing software.
01-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was in for my fisheye with or without the theme. And I pretty much always shoot around my town as much as I can, so I guess I'll be compliant for a change!
01-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm in, though I don't know what with yet.

01-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I might opt out for Feb, because I have Deutsch A1 test in March, and I may need more time to spend there during Feb.
Not sure yet. But if I attend Feb challenge it will be the all new to me DA 35mm!

Now it's funny to me, that When I bought my K30 with DA 18-135, after some month that the LBA fever started to grow in me, and I wanted to buy a prime lens, I found that 35mm FL is one of my most used FLs! so I should've bought this lens as my first lens after kit! but that didn't happen up until now. haha! silly me!
01-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'll try to be in.
01-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For anyone interested, at the end of the month, I will be finished with Wildmo's Industar 50-2 which was forwarded to me by Todd. I will gladly post to you regular mail so that you can have it for March. Please post a comment with your interest and we can work out the details by pm. Cheers.
01-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm in with the M100/2.8 for Feb. I'll be moving over to vancouver in the last week of the month for school, but I'll do my best to follow the sub-theme. My bro should be chiming in here soon as we planned to use our respective 100's for February
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

looks like it will be 10-17mm fisheye next month for me. Gonna try to stick to the neighborhood too! Good thing my favorite new spot to take photos is a subway station a few blocks from here. don't know why I didn't tap into that earlier...
01-23-2014, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I'm going to try my best with my DA 10-17 FE. My health is still struggling and the recent diagnosis of stage 3-4 heart failure hasn't helped. The plan is to do the best I can to keep it fun, if I means I miss a day or two so be it. My shots however will likely be around the house as I'm not spending much time away from the house. It's too hard for me to get out and too cold for me to spend any time outdoors.
01-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I said in the other thread that I would use the Pentax DA 18-55mm but I would really like to take the new to me Pentax A 50mm for a test run. I think it would make a good shoot around town lens. And with the wider lens, there isn't much landscape/city scape type shots to be photographed here. So, if it's ok with you all, I think the f2 A 50mm is going to be my choice lens this month. People tend to not pay attention if you have a short lens on your camera. At least that's what I'm hoping will happen.
01-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #15

As dngr said, I'm jumping in with my 100/2.8 WR macro. A sense of calmness envelopes me whenever I fit it onto my K30...