View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-07-2021, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #2944
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another case of modest-sized flowers making a big show. This wonderful Mock Orange now blooming at the end of our driveway.grew from a small plant dug up at M's childhood home, planted when we first moved here so it's about 48 years old. Alas, the flowers come and go very quickly. Bees are intoxicated by it, and the smell is almost as strong as a honeysuckle.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
06-07-2021, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #2945
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
american lilac
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
06-08-2021, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #2946
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Y'all have azaleas, rhododendrons, lilac (although I have never seen a blue one, gorgeous!), iris, mock orange and all the other beautiful displays, we have Bougainvillea...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
06-08-2021, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #2947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For some reason that reminded me of an azalea shot. This one was taken in PA.

06-08-2021, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #2948
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
For some reason that reminded me of an azalea shot. This one was taken in PA.

<haha> all the azalea shots reminded me of the bougainvilleas! They bloom in dry weather, so we have amazing displays of them during our dry season (winter, mostly, but spring as well), or short bursts after a dry spell at any time of year.
06-08-2021, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #2949
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Viburnum, abundant in our woods and easily overlooked or underappreciated. This is V. acerifolium, by far the most common species. Focus sort-stack (four image files).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-09-2021 at 04:19 AM.
06-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #2950
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Viburnum, abundant our woods and easily overlooked or underappreciated. This is V. acerifolium, by far the most common species. Focus sort-stack (four image files).
Ooh, I like it! Beautiful!

So, how does that "focus stacking" work? Presumably one has to use a tripod, and take multiple images with different areas in focus, but then what? What software does the magic part?
06-08-2021, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #2951
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Ooh, I like it! Beautiful!

So, how does that "focus stacking" work? Presumably one has to use a tripod, and take multiple images with different areas in focus, but then what? What software does the magic part?

Precisely, Generally, the smaller the object you are photographing and the closer the camera is to it, the more useful focus-stacking can be. Rather than type a lengthy explanation I'll recommend looking for posts here on PF or trying a GOOGLE search. I've tried a couple of programs, Adobe Photoshop can do it, but I presently like & use Helicon Focus 7 which can be purchased and downloaded off line. Out doors with even the faintest breeze focus stacking is difficult and sometimes unsuccessful. The flower below is a focus stack of about eight image files. Aside from getting almost all of the big flower head into focus, the background is kept well out of focus (= good bokeh). On spiders that are sitting very still, insects that are dead specimens, I have used up to 20 stacked images. People who do really deep macro stacks, such as just the head of an insect, may use 80 to over 100 image files in a stack.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
06-09-2021, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #2952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Larger flower from our garden.

Larger flower from our garden.

KIT: K-1 and Minolta 35-70mm f 3.5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-09-2021, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #2953
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One last image of a painted trillium. They're all gone until next Spring.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
06-09-2021, 05:19 AM   #2954
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Precisely, Generally, the smaller the object you are photographing and the closer the camera is to it, the more useful focus-stacking can be. Rather than type a lengthy explanation I'll recommend looking for posts here on PF or trying a GOOGLE search. I've tried a couple of programs, Adobe Photoshop can do it, but I presently like & use Helicon Focus 7 which can be purchased and downloaded off line. Out doors with even the faintest breeze focus stacking is difficult and sometimes unsuccessful. The flower below is a focus stack of about eight image files. Aside from getting almost all of the big flower head into focus, the background is kept well out of focus (= good bokeh). On spiders that are sitting very still, insects that are dead specimens, I have used up to 20 stacked images. People who do really deep macro stacks, such as just the head of an insect, may use 80 to over 100 image files in a stack.
Thanks much. Will have to try it some time. Probably not right away, the weather's been very breezy (read: windy) for outdoor garden images. But I might try to set up something inside the house. Of course that will be a cat-magnet, so who knows how it will go?
06-09-2021, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #2955
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I have some interesting things in the garden right now but it's too windy to shoot stuff. Maybe I'll photograph the garden rocks (aforesaid limestone chunks), they aren't blowing in the wind...
OK, not flowers, but here are the aforementioned rocks... these are a few of the ones that came up when the county replaced part of the sidewalk next door. I scotched 'em for garden borders... these range from about 8" to over a foot in diameter, absolutely typical of what's under the lawn...maybe I'll cross-post in the "Earth's Bones" thread...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo