Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #2971
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Yahbut... Orlando is 250 miles north of here. Although not an everyday thing, they do get temps in the 30sF a lot more regularly than we do here in Miami. I've been to Orlando in January, too, and it was freeeeeezing up there. It's very unusual for us to have winter night temperatures below about 45-50F. You laugh, but by our standards that's arctic. People here (natives, now, not silly northern turistas) don't go outdoors when the temperature drops below 60F, unless they have to, and only then bundled up like Innuit. Anyway, tropical plants are not happy campers on cold winter nights.
So much depends on what you're accustomed to or have acclimated to over the course of recent months. Temps that make me shiver in October feel positively balmy in March. New England is in what used to be called the "temperate zone," then for a short time was called "the zone of fluctuating temperatures" or something similar, but now it is usually known fairly neutrally as "the mid-latitudes." Christmas day the year our daughter was born never got warmer that one degree below zero, and I've experienced temps up to 103 in the summer. I can deal with the lows better than the highs, as a I can layer and bundle to keep warm, but outside there are few options for comfort when the thermometer goes into triple digits, excepting immersion in water.

06-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #2972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
So much depends on what you're accustomed to or have acclimated to over the course of recent months. Temps that make me shiver in October feel positively balmy in March. New England is in what used to be called the "temperate zone," then for a short time was called "the zone of fluctuating temperatures" or something similar, but now it is usually known fairly neutrally as "the mid-latitudes." Christmas day the year our daughter was born never got warmer that one degree below zero, and I've experienced temps up to 103 in the summer. I can deal with the lows better than the highs, as a I can layer and bundle to keep warm, but outside there are few options for comfort when the thermometer goes into triple digits, excepting immersion in water.
That's very true. I was born and raised here*, never saw a flake of snow until I went to university in The Great White North. Then I learned all about it...my freshman year saw a blizzard that shut the university down for the first time in more than 100 years. I lived up there for some years, got acclimated (never liked it much, but got used to it), then returned to Miami. "They" say it takes about 18 months for one's personal thermostat to reset, so the shirtsleeve weather in Michigan is winter coat weather now.

*I am one of the half-dozen or so people of my generation who is actually native to this town
06-11-2021, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #2973
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot it last year with K-50 and plastic fantastic 35mm DA f2.4

06-11-2021, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2974
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the subject of previous entries has been on temperature extremes, I felt I should throw in my three cents worth. While living in Dallas, TX, one late winter day I went for a bike ride while it was a nice, sunny 65 day. Clothed in cycling shorts and short-sleeved jersey, I passed by a couple of women walking along the sidewalk wearing knee-length down coats with hoods on. I could only shake my head and wonder what they wear when it actually gets cold. When I worked in Denver, I’d go cycling in shorts and a long-sleeved jersey if the temps were above 45. And during the years I spent in Arizona, one day in late May our cycling club went on a ride through downtown Phoenix where there was a billboard showing a temperature of 1,008. It was a bit above normal for May…

Below, a poppy bloom.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Geodude; 06-11-2021 at 09:50 AM.
06-11-2021, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2975
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Peony red
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
06-11-2021, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #2976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bigger flowers from our garden

Two big ones with K-1 and Zeiss 100mm planar f 2.0 macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-12-2021, 06:30 AM - 3 Likes   #2977
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
Since the subject of previous entries has been on temperature extremes, I felt I should throw in my three cents worth. While living in Dallas, TX, one late winter day I went for a bike ride while it was a nice, sunny 65 day. Clothed in cycling shorts and short-sleeved jersey, I passed by a couple of women walking along the sidewalk wearing knee-length down coats with hoods on. I could only shake my head and wonder what they wear when it actually gets cold. When I worked in Denver, I’d go cycling in shorts and a long-sleeved jersey if the temps were above 45. And during the years I spent in Arizona, one day in late May our cycling club went on a ride through downtown Phoenix where there was a billboard showing a temperature of 1,008. It was a bit above normal for May…

Below, a poppy bloom.
To follow in the poppy bud and flower in your image, here's one in our garden, the last of several we once had, that's gone by. (multi-file focus stack)

Another comment VAV "why are they dressed that way?" In the winter, going out early AM, I'd see teenager after teenager, especially boys, in T-shirts when the temp was below freezing. Seemed to me more a concession to making a statement than sensible and comfortable attire, but to them I'm just feeble old fogy with corners on my head.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-13-2021 at 05:28 AM.
06-12-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #2978
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
To follow in the poppy bud and flower in your image, here's one in our garden, the last of several we once had, that gone by. (multi-file focus stack)

Another comment VAV "why are they dressed that way?" In the winter, going our early AM, I'd see teenager after teenager, especially boys, in T-shirts when the temp was below freezing. Seemed to me more a concession to making a statement than sensible and comfortable attire, but to them I'm just feeble old fogy with corners on my head.
That's an outstanding image of the seed pod! I've never tried image stacking.

I've always tended to dress comfortably in accordance to the weather conditions, although living in the mid-continent region makes that near impossible during the muggy summer months. And, having spent much of my formative years along the outskirts of dorkville, I never adapted to the ways of Kool and the Gang. My head has more of a funnel shape to it...

A low-angle view of a clematis bloom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Geodude; 06-12-2021 at 09:21 AM.
06-12-2021, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #2979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Small flowers making a big display. As with so many flowers, the pinks are having a banner year and are tinting some fields pink. These are maiden pinks (Dianthus deltoides)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
06-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #2980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Peony red
Wow! I haven't seen a red peony in years! A friend of my former boss was a peony aficionada, and he would special order peonies for her, very occasionally the floral supply outfit had red ones.Gorgeous!
06-13-2021, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2981
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 06-13-21 at 06:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I shot it last year with K-50 and plastic fantastic 35mm DA f2.4

Join us. Maybe with your appearance the theme will come to life. The lens is not expensive, but in my opinion, it is unfairly deprived of attention.
Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL samples - PentaxForums.com
06-13-2021, 07:11 AM - 3 Likes   #2982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wild rose of some kind, a paler and more deeply colored blossom that were a couple meters apart. There were others blossoms that were almost white, and to me unworthy of memory-card space. Fewer petals on these than on the ones in Ivan's pictures just above.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
06-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #2983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote

----
Beautiful roses, Ivan! Are they wild or in your garden?
06-14-2021, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #2984
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Beautiful roses, Ivan! Are they wild or in your garden?
Thank you for your feedback. These small roses are blooming in my mother-in-law's garden. In principle, there is always something to photograph. These are not wild plants.
06-14-2021, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2985
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First lilies of the season

First lilies of season with K-1 and Leica-R 35-70mm f 4.0 macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo